No announcement yet.

Odd Quake Facts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I ran Quake on my 386 laptop and it ran horribly. Very choppy at the lowest resolution, but at least it started up.

Comment

For a year I played Quake on a 486/66 DX-2

Eventually I upgraded to a Pentium 200, but we kept the 14.4 modem which I used to thrash people online with. I got accused of faking a higher ping often cause I rarely lost back in those days.
      Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

You can still find old 24 bit colour screenshots of Quake

Comment

yeah in .tif format too, back when people had image viewers that had the balls to view .tif files. (like Compushow 2000)

Comment

Having two types of ogre (even if they differ very little) is good for some very scary effects. Have you ever stood in the middle of a room with ten ogres and ten ogre_marksman infighting? The first time I came across it was in a beta of Scragbait's Drop In Centre. Awesome visuals and sound with all those chainsaws flailing about. :d

Comment

The best monster flag ever sadly isnt in Quake as far as I know, but it is present in Doom, "deaf" - the monster only wakes up on sight of a target or pain, cannot be woken up by guns or such. Good for ambushes as you cant trigger them early... so if you had an ogre marksman set to "deaf", its equivalent to "oh shit grenades!" all of a sudden.

Comment

Ah, forgot that ogre_marksman will fight an ogre. Of course

Comment

Huh somehow I missed that fact in the previous post, but Sajt stated it so simply... Makes sense, they target things based upon entity name partially, and they are 2 different entity types.

Comment

Anyone over the secrets of Quake? Like the Babel Fish and that weird phoneix graphic hidden behind that wall on that level (I've been playing Quake for how many years?).
                    "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

Ah you mean the Dope Fish hidden in the Well of Wishes in the Crypt of Decay?

Phoenix? There is a raven emblem hidden in The Underearth...

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
                        Ah you mean the Dope Fish hidden in the Well of Wishes in the Crypt of Decay?

Phoenix? There is a raven emblem hidden in The Underearth...
                        Yes. I was off, but not too much.

What's the story behind the raven?

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
                          For a year I played Quake on a 486/66 DX-2

Eventually I upgraded to a Pentium 200, but we kept the 14.4 modem which I used to thrash people online with. I got accused of faking a higher ping often cause I rarely lost back in those days.
                          I thought Quake REQUIRED at least a Pentium class processor? Didn't Pentium's start with 586's?

Comment

"Required" It just ran like Street Fighter 2, everything in ackward slow motion, but when I got a pentium 200 I thought it was in fast motion ala The Munsters comical gags.

I honestly have no idea whats up with the raven texture, but nonetheless, it is there. We need more easter eggs in games.

Comment

Quake just REQUIRED a floating point coprocessor. Some 386s had those too (and could run quake, albeit at a unplayably slow framerate)

The Raven is just tim willits' insignia

Comment

This is from that Quake manual PDF. And it looks like it is not technically accurate.

This is probably a PDF of a newer Quake CD. Notice that WinQuake and GLQuake exist and the references to Windows 2000 which didn't exist in 1996 .. they didn't originally, right? It was just quake.exe

I know quake.exe didn't require Windows 95 because I ran it once or twice on a Win 3.1 machine, but I thought it required a 32 bit processor so it wouldn't run on a 486.

But if you guys are saying it does, I believe you considering how much more that you know about this stuff than I do.
                                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Working...
                                X