X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It most definitely did not require a 32 bit processor

Comment

Originally posted by Baker

This is probably a PDF of a newer Quake CD.
      It really came from the 2001 Activision reissue version (it also bundled a crappy team arena movie too iirc, and a horrible autorun)

note it doesn't mention the requirement of MS-DOS, and yes, quake can officially run on 486s, infact most of my quaking was spent on a 486 DX4 120MHz, it ran it like a champ and ultimate quake was even playable on it as well as team fortress...online!

Comment

They have 64 bit processors now. (I personally have a 32 bit)
        NO, this does NOT mean there will be 64 bit color with 64 bit systems!!
        Quake is a 16 bit app, and processors are always backwards compatible. The dual-core pentium xeons can run Quake.
        Dual core xeon? What is this, you ask?
        http://www.intel.com/products/processor/xeon/index.htm

And about Quake's requirements...
        "Absoulutely MUST have a math co-processor!!"
        Umm, huh? There were non-math-capable processors at one time?
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

I think the keyword in that statement delineating a difference is not "math" but "co"
          Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

If we are really unlucky, Windows XP will be the last version of Windows that the original Quake runs well on. I read something about how maybe OpenGL will run on top of Direct3D or something in Vista so Microsoft can hose OpenGL.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Microsoft can hose OpenGL? What the hell does that mean? Does.. THat mean.. NO MORE DIRECT3D?!?!?! If we cannot play Quake no matter what on Vista, that would be totally GAy. We would have to get the ub3r l33t programmers to come up with a vista quake engine really quick.

Comment

Originally posted by the_f0qer
                Quake is a 16 bit app, and processors are always backwards compatible.
                Actually only DOS quake is 16bit, all the other ports are 32. 64bit processors can't run 16bit crap at all (well from winxpx64 anyway)

Originally posted by Monster
                Microsoft can hose OpenGL? What the hell does that mean? Does.. THat mean.. NO MORE DIRECT3D?!?!?!
                wtf? OpenGL has nothing to do with Direct3D.

Comment

Microsoft is layering OpenGL on D3d, meaning that quality software written by decent people (i.e. id Software) are going to run slower. It's basically just Microsoft trying to own the entire market as usual.

BTW the original dos quake doesn't run at all on Win XP. DOS Box is great, but on a 2.4 GHz machine it still runs slower than a 100 MHz dos machine :p

Comment

Originally posted by Sajt
                    BTW the original dos quake doesn't run at all on Win XP. DOS Box is great, but on a 2.4 GHz machine it still runs slower than a 100 MHz dos machine :p
                    not on mine. I can play Quake on dosbox just almost as good as my p100!

Comment

Microsoft is layering OpenGL on D3d, meaning that quality software written by decent people (i.e. id Software) are going to run slower. It's basically just Microsoft trying to own the entire market as usual.
                      Why the hell would they do that? Is there any real reason for that? Will it make newer, modern games run much quicker?

Comment

They're wrong, it HAS to be a Pentium class PC. Windows 3.1 however could run just fine on a Pentium class PC and a 486, but Quake needed the floating point processor.
                        "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

Yeah, which newer 486s (dx2 and 4 at the least) were capable of.

Comment

Working...
                          X