Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the purpose of end1.bin and end2.bin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the purpose of end1.bin and end2.bin?

I am making my own game with the quake engine, and it turning out great so far. This means I have to delete and replace files that arent mine in pak0.pak. One of these is end1.bin, and I have no idea what it's for. And explanation would be nice so I can figure out how to delete it.

The bin files are just the registered and shareware versions of text to display on exit.

@actual videos
    There are no actual videos in quake.

@how to delete
    Simple, just delete them. The bin files are probably triggered somewhere in QC... comment it out.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 07-20-2017, 04:18 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

They are referenced in qc, but are only precached. To add to the confusion, quakespasm's engine code doesn't reference it either.

I just don't want my game to crash, hehe.

Comment

I opened those file with a text editor, and there's actually a bunch of readable text in both, eg:

end2.bin:
        Why did you quit from the registered version of QUAKE? Did the scary monsters frighten you? Or did Mr. Sandman tug at your little lids? No matter! What is important is you love our game, and gave us your money. Congratulations, you are probably not a thief.
        [yes, it does say "lids" instead of "kids"]

The files look more like text dumps rather than something to be read in by Quake, so I would imagine they're not important. If you cannot find any reference to the files in code/quakec/makefiles/anywhere (other than those precache lines), then they cannot be important.

Comment

I think you would have to look at the original DOS code (quake.exe) to see how they're used. Silly ANSI graphics to taunt you when you quit. Big red background with yellow text, was it?

In other words, Gypsy is right.

Comment

[yes, it does say "lids" instead of "kids"]

eye lids sandman puts sand in the corner of your eyes to make you sleepy

"The Sandman is a mythical character in Western and Northern European folklore who puts people to sleep and brings good dreams by sprinkling magical sand onto the eyes of people while they sleep at night." [Wikipedia]
            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by Focalor
              cutscene
              Haha, have you ever played Quake?
              ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
              ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

I don't agree with you often but, when I do, it's about this.

Comment

Oh come on, Foc! I know you get triggered very easily but now you can't even take a tiny joke? You respond with a whole paragraph of venom, complete with insults, and yet I am the dickhead? Sure, whatever floats yer boat, man... The only one undermining your "social stature" here is yourself by reacting like that, not me. Food for thought.

At any rate, you didn't contribute anything more real than me since you were wrong about the nature of these .bin files. What else is there to contribute after Gypsy provided the correct answer? Besides, SBomb talked about Quake, not Quake 2.

@Gypsy: I'm surprised you would side with Foc on this hate-infused rant.
                  ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                  ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

I don't side with his hate infused rant. I side with it being unnecessary for your prior response. I don't even SIDE with that because, I thought it was shitty before he made his comment.

I already made your comment

re: there are no actual videos in quake.

I could have took your road and poked at him over his video comment, I chose to reaffirm the obvious and let him face palm himself, if necessary.

Your reply seems to overlook that YOU provoked someone that is notoriously easy to enrage. Poke a tiger...get bit. You're mad at the tiger?

People get confused and make mistakes regularly. It's part of the human condition. Busting focalors balls for saying something that sounded nooby does nothing but put a big Target on your head for your next silly mistake. And guess who's going to be right there ready to highlight and bust your balls about it. Probably Focalor.... pure genius, BFG.

You should probably change your entire last post to something impressive like... "I'm sorry, I was being a dick."
                    Last edited by MadGypsy; 07-23-2017, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X