Need a good linux WAD tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a good linux WAD tool

so, I thought I found the perfect tool for linux when it came to paks and wads, which would be qpakman. Sadly, for some reason, it imports colors wrong when making wads, but not paks. Is there any other tool I could use? What was really useful about qpakman is that it could take PNG images, so I'm looking for that. I may just figure out the source code to it and fix it, which is a little daunting because it's in C++.

I also suggested to kristian duske to make a more modern wad editor, so hopefully he will think about making it along trenchbroom.

Originally posted by SpecialBomb View Post
    Is there any other tool I could use?
    If you want the easy path, what you should do is use WINE and then use outstanding tools like TexMex, fImg 2, Pakscape and such.

There are no decent Linux tools generally because they are very difficult to maintain long term. For instance, you would have quite a great deal of difficulty compiling a 10 year-old Linux source code for an engine due to dependencies and how their updates in many cases are not likely to be compatible. And the tool kits change over time. Maybe 10 years ago GTK 2.0 was the hip thing and now GTK 2.0 is no longer available because is now version (insert whatever the current version is).

Windows, on the other hand, you can easily run most 20 year old applications and do not need to continually maintenance them for them to still work, unlike Linux. Macs have issues to with longevity, although not as bad as Linux.

Windows = write once, run it forever. Linux = break continually, rewrite continually, fix continually. Which is why both DarkPlaces and Quakespasm use SDL for Linux, but neither DarkPlaces nor Quakespasm depend on a GUI environment (like GTK, WxWidgets, Qt).

Short version: With Linux you'll be lucky to find any native tools for something.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Baker keep in mind I'm not looking for a gui tool here, in many cases, you can get very old c source to work if it does not use anything involving X or any kind of sound system. Thankfully, many distros are starting to standardize using ALSA and Wayland, both of which have excellent compatibility between older protocols. So, all hope is not lost for future tools. The only thing that would stop me from not being able to compile old sources is if the libraries don't exist anymore, which happens quite a bit in other operating systems as well.

As a side note, GTK is super backwards compatible in Debian because of Wayland starting to replace old-ass X-org. There are some really old programs that can run now thanks to it.

Anyway, I'm using wine and texmex right now. Thing that pisses me off about that is that I made all of my textures PNG, and now I have to convert them all to TGA or BMP now. Blech.

Comment

With TexMex, in Windows you generally have a photo editor open and click "copy" and then paste the image into TexMex directly.

I understand the lack of .png support in TexMex is annoying, TexMex might be older than the PNG file format so that is why.

(By the way, GIMP sucks. If you are using WINE, use IrfanView to convert images. For image conversion purposes, it is super easy and free.)

http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

In a perfect world, these kinds of tools would exist for Linux natively. About half this type of stuff, I run on a Mac via WINE, because these types of things don't exist in quality or quantity for a Mac either.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Ever heard of imagemagick?

Comment

Originally posted by SpecialBomb View Post
            Ever heard of imagemagick?
            It's a command line tool. It can do almost anything but it is onerous to use because it requires looking through docs constantly and writing scripts.

IrfanView can do most of what ImageMagick can do and has an extreme easy GUI.

What takes 5 minutes to do in ImageMagick takes 5 seconds to do with IrfanView because you just click a couple of check boxes and click "submit".

You might notice a pattern emerging --- I'm suggesting that you are using inferior tools and wasting your own time doing things slow and hard.

Productive people want to use the best tools available because they save you a lot of time. There is no honor in using an inferior and wasting 2 hours vs. using an efficient tool and getting results quick. Time is precious and must be used effectively, you never have more time.

You are smart and learning, I have confidence in you.

Comment

convert *.png *.tar

sorry to keep arguing, but thats faster than starting up a gui tool and clicking on all my pngs.

Edit:

Turns out I did that wrong, mogrify is what takes a mass and converts it.

For example:

mogrify -format tga *.png

That would convert all of of my pngs to tgas.
              Last edited by SpecialBomb; 07-25-2017, 09:34 AM.

Comment

I wouldn't think of it as arguing rather as discussion or exploration. In the example you mention above, a reusable command line script is going to helpful for a single task that would need repeated occasionally.

Comment

It's a shame you need all of this now and not in like a couple/few weeks because I am exactly working on everything you need and my stuff is faster/more robust than texmex. I'm also doing it in Flash which runs on every operating system and outperforms Neko (which also runs on everything). Actually, in almost every experience I have, Flash performance is highly comparable to c++. I have run numerous tests side by side over the last year on my flash ports vs my identical c++ ports and I'm telling you flat-out the performance difference is negligible to non-existent. This fact is only amplified by my FastBytes method which writes and reads directly from memory (just like c stuff).
                  http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                    It's a shame you need all of this now and not in like a couple/few weeks because I am exactly working on everything you need and my stuff is faster/more robust than texmex. I'm also doing it in Flash which runs on every operating system and outperforms Neko (which also runs on everything). Actually, in almost every experience I have, Flash performance is highly comparable to c++. I have run numerous tests side by side over the last year on my flash ports vs my identical c++ ports and I'm telling you flat-out the performance difference is negligible to non-existent. This fact is only amplified by my FastBytes method which writes and reads directly from memory (just like c stuff).
                    If you created a WAD editor nearly as nice as TexMex that worked on everything that would be cool. I respect anyone that completes anything, and you have completed some things.

But since you are 7 for 200 in the "finishing things" department, perhaps you should strive to get your "production" to be more equivalent to your predictions of things you say you are going to make.

Because I know you aren't going to make a WAD editor and so do you. Friday's MadGyspy is going to say he making something else like a mp3 player or an HTML parser.

A WAD editor is too complicated for you, sure you have experience reading that file format, but you have no experience writing that file format and you are in for surprises you didn't anticipate because you don't know enough about the format. The second you try to update a WAD you are in for "WTF" moment because you don't understand enough about the format and didn't see the problem coming.

Comment

I agree with some of what you said but, you are super wrong about

"A WAD editor is too complicated for you, sure you have experience reading that file format, but you have no experience writing that file format"

Dumbest thing you've ever said. I say that with no hate. I've been reading and writing wads since waaaaay back in the flash version of my engine days. One day you will realize that I am actually probably a better programmer than you and even if I am not I am still top tier. I've read a lot of your code. I do not say these things lightly.For some reason you seem to think that I'm just some little programmer but you are the one that openly admits that you can't even program in a subset of your chosen language (qc). Imagine what I think about that.

When you stop trying to treat me like your limits apply to me. I'll show you how not to have any limits. I like you just fine. It just gets old reading how you think you have my skills all figured out. Especially considering that YOU KNOW...all I do is program, every second I have, even down to missing sleep, losing my girlfriends and saving up to quit y job to give me more time to do it. I eat, shit, sleep, breathe and shave code. Why oh why do you think I can read a wad but not write one is absolutely beyond me. Spike once said that he would like to see me play with a toy OS but you don't think I can write a wad.

Oh baker.

Let me finish this file explorer and I'll have some wad tools right behind it. The only 2 reasons this is taking me a little time is because the entire thing is made from custom and customizable elements, and regardless of my cheapy graphics this thing is the cadillac of file explorers. You would have to use it to see what I mean. I have approached everything I hate about status quo document trees. I have eliminated a ton of mouse actions and optimized the space it occupies without losing a single bit of information. My goal is for the user to be like "woah! how the fuck did it know I was going to do that!" and I'm getting there.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 07-25-2017, 06:57 PM.
                      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Steve Jobs always said "Real artists ship." You are good project starter. Perhaps the best ever.

If starting a project is elementary school, you would easily be the biggest fifth grader.

One day, it would not be surprising if you made something awesome.

But I will tell you right now, it will not be a WAD editor. Because your Achilles heal is the inability to assess the difficulty of projects, which is the same reason your completion rate is so low.

Comment

Working...
                        X