Rationale for 72 FPS limit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rationale for 72 FPS limit

So this number is obviously significant for anyone intending to get the best out of Quake, and to those who are trying to understand the engine.
    But why is the hard FPS cap set at the seemingly arbitrary number of 72? 70 would have made sense, for that was the refresh rate of the common VGA low-res mode that served as an alternative to the conventional 60Hz 480p. The only meaningful property of 72 I can think of is that it's a multiple of the cinema-standard 24 FPS, but that seems like quite a stretch as a justification.

Where you heard that? Everything above 60 is silly, everything above 30 even.

Comment

Originally posted by vibok View Post
      Where you heard that? Everything above 60 is silly, everything above 30 even.
      You don't have a 144hz monitor. I can absolutely see a difference.

Also I have owned Sony CRTs that had a 72hz refresh rate. It was a setting back then for some pro monitors. I think it was for 1024x768
      Secret Level - Quake fandom & my custom levels

Comment

Setting the server and client FPS to 90 makes you feel like you're there "in real life". At 30 it's just like you're watching a movie.

Comment

I was under the impression that ye olde ancient CRT monitors had MUCH MUCH higher refresh rates than even 100 per second, and the flat panels were such an improved technology because of the lower refresh rates and thus less power consumption. For a while, top tier FPS players were using CRT's even when they weren't being made anymore because it was desirable to have the higher refresh rate.

Comment

Did a little reading around the web. Looks like the engine physics are coded in a way that works best with 72 fps. Anything above may result in odd physics behavior. You'll have to ask an engine guy like spike or r00k to get a real answer though.
            'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Anything below too. I recently watched Ionous' Twitch stream of Ter Shibboleth and a func_train didn't work properly because of lower framerate.
              ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
              ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Xon game code with darkplaces works fine at any FPS because the maths is set to whatever the frametime is bros. Get with the programmmee!

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosEsqueEd View Post
                  Xon game code with darkplaces works fine at any FPS because the maths is set to whatever the frametime is bros. Get with the programmmee!
                  FTE would be a better option. It actually still looks like Quake. I used to like DP, but the more I play/mod/learn, the less it appeals to me. That's not to say it's a bad engine or anything. What it does, it does well. Just not my style.
                  Last edited by Dutch; 10-01-2017, 07:03 AM.

Comment

Lol my game based in Quakespasm uses a host_fps of 144. Didn't seem to break it, but I can't really tell due to the lack of objects that actually use those physics.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post

FTE would be a better option. It actually still looks like Quake. I used to like DP, but the more I play/mod/learn, the less it appeals to me. That's not to say it's a bad engine or anything. What it does, it does well. Just not my style.
                      FTE doesn't even have crypto. You're completely uninformed, but after saying my mod/game is "lame" what's to be expected. You're a normal american: headstrong in ignorance.
                      168 weapons. You can't even fathom the work that has gone into my works. You are nothing but an american. You don't even like cute young girls.

I'll be so happy when your world system is ended.

Comment

Originally posted by ChaosEsqueEd View Post

FTE doesn't even have crypto. You're completely uninformed, but after saying my mod/game is "lame" what's to be expected. You're a normal american: headstrong in ignorance.
                        168 weapons. You can't even fathom the work that has gone into my works. You are nothing but an american. You don't even like cute young girls.

I'll be so happy when your world system is ended.

americanflag-with-cross1.jpg
                        Last edited by Dutch; 10-13-2017, 02:11 AM.

Comment

Book of Deuteronomy beats out American post 1870s Christianity by 1000 miles, In my opinion.
                          Your system cannot sustain its population level: it's completely disincentivezed any thinking person from having anything to do with women, beyond a very temporary fraternization .
                          You banned marrying girls soon after the civil war, forcing men to get with ... bitches.

No system that has done that has ever reached forward through history to make itself know to us in the present.
                          Enjoy oblivion.

Comment

Alright, let's set the record straight, cause frankly you're misleading people who haven't read Deuteronomy. The verse is referring to 'single women', not 'single under-aged women'. And you know there's other books in the old testament, right? You do? That's great, because you'll quickly realize God doesn't like unnatural behaviors. Being sexually attracted to little girls is unnatural in a spiritual AND a scientific context. They cannot bear children.

Stay in whatever pit you call home, far far from America. We have enough perverts here that need dealing with.

I can't believe I have to explain this to a (supposedly) grown man. I REALLY hope you're just trolling.

Comment

Alright, let's set the record straight, cause frankly you're misleading people who haven't read Deuteronomy. The verse is referring to 'single women', not 'single under-aged women'.
                              You are incorrect. The hebrew word is rendered as na`arah (the hebrew glyphs actually read na'ar, it is feminized later in the passage by implication)
                              It is talking of a female from the ages of infancy till adolecence. na'ar has it's root in the rustling of a mane: it brings up the idea of restless energy.
                              The energy children have and adults lack. Na'arah is equivelant to the modern word "girl". A girl who still lives in her father's house and has not yet been promised in marraige is specified in this section of the Law.

I specified Deuteronomy chapter 22, verse 28-29 _hebrew_ for a reason.

#5291 \u05e0\u05b7\u05e2\u05b2\u05e8\u05b8\u05d4 na`arah {nah-ar-aw'}

Feminine of H5288; a girl (from infancy to adolescence):\u2014damsel, maid (-en), young (woman).

1) girl, damsel, female servant
                              1a) girl, damsel, little girl
                              1a1) of young woman, marriageable young woman, concubine,
                              prostitute
                              1b) maid, female attendant, female servant

And you know there's other books in the old testament, right? You do? That's great, because you'll quickly realize God doesn't like unnatural behaviors. Being sexually attracted to little girls is unnatural in a spiritual AND a scientific context. They cannot bear children.
                              I specified Deuteronomy for a reason, My loyalty is to the God of War specified in said book (YHWH). Not to any other god (El Elyon, etc), and not to Jesus.
                              In Deuteronomy, unlike some other sections in the Old Testament, the man is refered to by the title of Ba'al: Overlord.
                              Taking female children as brides is completely consistent with this title.
                              And raping (taphas) female children and taking them as your property is allowed in said Law system (No one should be surprised).

(A primitive root; to manipulate, i.e. Seize; chiefly to capture, wield, specifically, to overlay; figuratively, to use unwarrantably)

Stay in whatever pit you call home, far far from America. We have enough perverts here that need dealing with.

I can't believe I have to explain this to a (supposedly) grown man. I REALLY hope you're just trolling.
                              America is a gynocentric society and has been since the puritans landed on its shores. The woman and her will is sacrocant, men are devils and their will is of the devil.
                              (Which is true, man's nature is adversarial to the will of women and thus men are of the adversary of womankind)

You can explain nothing because you know nothing. You do not study the hebrew, you only accept the american heresy that plagues this planet.

If you would like to learn more: (girls are fine by God: Deuteronomy 22: 28-29, hebrew (discussion: http://pastebin.com/mzFJyxea ), numbers 31,)

Comment

Working...
                              X