NextGenQuake Assimilated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NextGenQuake Assimilated

NextGenQuake will NOT be completely shutting down. I was contacted by another Quake site owner and I have been working with him to have NGQ assimilated into his site. The site it is being assimilated into has been around for a long time and shows absolutely no signs of being shut down (probably ever). I have ALWAYS taken the security and privacy of my members very seriously and the transition of my database to his site is no exception. ALL emails were overwritten with [email protected]. ALL passwords were corrupted. ALL IP addresses were replaced with 000.000.000.000. This is a good thing for my members privacy but also a little bit of a bad thing. This means that your account is unreachable and your username is still in use. My actual userbase was very slim and I believe for all of those that want their account back it should not be much of an issue to adjust the database upon YOUR request to give you access. I'm sorry for the inconvenience but I cant NOT give someone your information AND give someone your information. It's got to be one way or the other and obviously from my end the "one way" is to NOT do it.

I have promised not to expose any URL's or make any posts that point to the "new" site so, I cannot at this time be more specific about where this assimilation is happening. There also isn't an exposed version of the content anyway so there is no "official" url to post in the first place. What I can tell you is, it is definitely happening. The final result will not look anything like NGQ but, all the content is preserved. I am personally very impressed with the person that is taking over the content and to be honest, I expect them to do a better job than I did. They have passion for more than just the community. My only passion was the community and I couldn't give half of a shit about this game. This persons skill level as a programmer is very comparable to mine so, you get an actual Quaker, with a desire to grow his community and he knows what he is doing. I get to move the hell on and stop wasting my life on this shit, knowing that I haven't abandoned anyone or anything in regards to the responsibilities I assumed when I started my site. I'm going to say that everyone wins. I'm also pretty sure that your new webmaster is not hated by a large body of people in this community so, he has a much greater chance of actually growing his community.

I'm excited and I technically don't give a fuck about this game. You should be very excited.

EDIT: I would like to make it clear that the only credit I deserve (if any) is the fact that I jumped on a request that was sent to me. Your new webmaster was the one that took the initiative to contact me with that request and he is also the one that did all the heavy lifting to incorporate all this data into his site. When I say "knowing that I have not abandoned anyone or anything" it is your new webmaster that gave me that opportunity. Without him, you would have essentially been abandoned. Of course that's not the actual spirit in my heart regarding my NGQ decisions but results are results and "shutting it down" is abandonment. Personally, I am very happy that it is not being shut down at all. All of my loyal members still do mean a lot to me (always will) and it makes me happy for you that you do not have to lose something that y'all have told me time and again that you love.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-07-2019, 02:19 AM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Hi MG
    Well this is a bit of a suprise and hopefully is very good news. I can only hope that they are able to live up to the extremely high bar that you have set as a site admin
    One question that springs to mind is who is this mysterious "Quake Site owner"? Phenom? Efess? Spirit? Baker? All would seem to be ideal candidates if they were interested (IMHO) .
    Another query is, as all passwords are corrupted is my login is no longer going to work?

If you have the time please keep us posted as things progress.

Kind regards
    Monty

Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Your login is no longer going to work. When everything is complete I'm sure this can be rectified for you (for everyone) but, that will be between YOU and "The Site Owner". I made sure that nobody got any of anyone's information. It is entirely up to you if you want to turn around and give it to them. The person that is assimilating NGQ can absolutely "live up to the extremely high bar I set as an admin". Possibly even more so because he doesn't have to play never-ending-catch-up on getting the site in perfect working order in the first place. If I exposed the name of the site owner, I would also be exposing the site and I promised not to do that. I will say that none of those people are "The Site Owner" but I refuse to answer anymore guesses. Of course I will keep everyone posted. That's the entire point of this thread. However, I am very confident that you wont be waiting long at all. I don't want to create a bunch of false hopes but, it is entirely possible that it COULD (ie maybe, possibly) be ready today. Unless there is something I am not understanding about what I know it's already done except one thing that was waiting on me and I already handled that. So now we just need to wait for "The Site Owner" to do what he has to do with the thing I sent him. I can't stress enough that this is my perception of the remaining events and it is not impossible that there are some other tidbits that I am not aware of. I can say this without assumption though, there can't be that many tidbits left (if any).
      Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-07-2019, 04:36 AM.

Comment

Actually, I have a better idea (regarding info). Everyone from NGQ that wants to be able to use their old login and maintain their account can post in this thread that they give me permission to release their user row to the new site owner and I will. You fully understand that this means your username, email and an encrypted (but decipherable!) version of your password will be given to "The Site owner". By agreeing, you FULLY release me from ANY responsibility real or imagined and agree that I can not be held accountable for ANY affect that you may experience including, but not limited to, damages, loss and hardship.

Now, do I really think that you have a damn thing to worry about. NOT AT ALL! But if I'm wrong, that is legally, officially and entirely YOUR PROBLEM. I already made sure that no one got this information so you agree I am exempt from EVERYTHING.

I want you to be informed so "What could someone really do with this information?" Well, considering it's just usernames, emails and passwords the worst you would probably have to consider is that information being tried in other places in an attempt to be you, with the worst possibility being the attempt to use your password on your email provider, and how bad that could be is entirely determined by what is in your email. Do I really believe "The Site Owner" has any desire to do anything like that? Well, considering he was giving me ideas on the best/easiest way to change your info ... Imma say NO. However, this is YOUR decision and whatever the outcome of that decision is is not my problem.

As a sort of true joke ~ I've been sitting on the user info of a number of people that hate my guts and go out of their way to push my buttons, I am supposedly crazy and I more than supposedly get mad as hell. I've never even considered using this information maliciously and "The Site Owner' seems a hell of a lot nicer than I am. IMO "The Site Owner" is awesome but, I've been chatting with him for a week so what can I really tell you?
        Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-07-2019, 05:14 AM.

Comment

I, of course, will be the first one to give you permission to release my user data to "The Site Owner" - at least on this thread.
          I've had cases of people actually signing up for construction worker jobs in Argentina with my first name and e-mail on it, lol.

But, I trust both of you, especially the other person, even though I don't think I've seen "The Site Owner" more than once.

Comment

Hi MG
            Thank you for respecting my privacy and not releasing any of my details. Until I know more I would appreciate it if it can stay that way.
            Many thanks
            Monty
            Mr.Burns
            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
            WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
            Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

LMAO!

But, I trust both of you, especially the other person, even though I don't think I've seen "The Site Owner" more than once.

Thanks for the confidence, brah. I especially like complete strangers more than you, too. /sarc

I know what you are trying to say. Unless you really are trying to tell me that you aren't my little brother. In which case it's going to feel like a grenade just went off in my chest. In this community there are a lot of people that can piss me off but, there are very few people that can hurt me. You are definitely one of the latter.
              Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-07-2019, 01:06 PM.

Comment

"Unless you really are trying to tell me that you aren't my little brother. In which case it's going to feel like a grenade just went off in my chest. In this community there are a lot of people that can piss me off but, there are very few people that can hurt me. You are definitely one of the latter."

Nononononoo, don't take it the wrong way.

You are someone who I don't have to trust at all, because I KNOW that you'll not do me harm. Trust, for me, is when I don't know what the other person will do. I've known you long enough to not even need the trust factor any more. How do we call it? Unconditional love. (no homo)

"The Site Owner", someone who I've probably never seen before, needs my trust before they can have my info. So there's that.

Comment

I know, brother. I'm just giving you a hard time - the sentimental stuff I said was not untrue, though. It stands for a few people. I don't like writing lists for stuff like this because I always tend to screw up and leave someone out of it. You know who you are.

I remember one year on this site I wrote a Merry Christmas post that wished all the "actual" members of this site a Merry Christmas individually. My list was huge. My list was awesome. My list missed like 3 or 4 of the most long-term people ...AND I got called on it with one person seriously asking me if they can't have a Merry Christmas. Writing an individual Merry Christmas was something I never did again. I did not use the members list (which had hundreds of junk members). I did it from memory.
                  Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-07-2019, 01:31 PM.

Comment

All great news!
                    Secret Level - Quake fandom & my custom levels

Comment

Things are getting closer and closer. I just banged out a stylesheet for the forum and "The Site Owner" is working on some odds and ends with forum functionality. My stylesheet only covers everything that a guest can see. So, on the final release date if you join as a member and realize some things aren't styled ... I couldn't see that, but "The Site Owner" can totally handle those little odds and ends. I got the bulk out of the way. This man seems to work on this stuff nonstop.

Comment

I have seen the remaining to-do list and it is near completion. Technically, the forum is completely usable as-is. There are a handful of tasks left to round off the loose ends. This mostly entails simple stuff like plugging syntax-hilighting back in and other such innocuous things. I think NGQ and new members alike will be very pleased. The system is very fast and clean ... way faster than NGQ was. Pages load in like a hundredth of a second. You will notice that I am a moderator. This is more of a symbolic gesture on "The Site Owner's" part for working with him to amplify the content and possibilities of his site with the content and possibilities of mine. I have my own shit to do and it doesn't involve moderating a new quake forum. HOWEVER, if something was going on and I was the only mod available to handle it, I will handle it. Many of you know how to contact me if it was that important. I have no intention of monitoring anything. I intend to practically disappear after this is complete. At least as far as being some figure in the Quake community is concerned, anyway. I have like 30 years left to make my way into some history books. I'll never get there wasting my time with Quake stuff.

I am saying this very clearly and seriously because I know my presence in the Quake community is "such a burden" to the weaker individuals that this community has. I don't want those struggling to live-and-let-live to get the impression that I am some active part of the new site. Essentially, I'm not. However. if SPAM or something like that started to be a problem you will be glad that I have the power to step in and end it ... cause I will.
                        Last edited by MadGypsy; 08-12-2019, 07:47 PM.

Comment

The NGQ assimilation is basically done and can be viewed here. If you were a participating NGQ member and would like your account back check your PM box on NGQ for instructions on how to regain your account.

Comment

I'm glad to see that one of my favourite Quake sites wasn't gonna die after all. ^^
                            Nice!

Comment

I would love to share articles calcography and receive articles from this author

Comment

Working...
                              X