The Death of Widomaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Death of Widomaker

I thought this subject was a good idea for a new thread.

Camping became an accepted practice at the Shmack server during the period that a lot of players got banned/kicked from Widomaker due to camping. At that time, Widomaker was basically the place to be and Shmack didn't get as much activity.

Widomaker communications decided to pull the plug on the Widomaker server around June 2004 +/- a month. Widomaker was so busy, its overflow forwarding could often fill 3 servers to the brim and usually had 1000 players a week.

Originally posted by "Chuck
    Players complained that he was camping.
    I quit quake because camping became the rule. Is that not the rule any longer?
    Prior to the closure of the Widomaker server, Widomaker would often go down, sometimes for hours and on rare occasion a day and maybe even 2 days.

I always had thought Ben should have made quake.tltq.com the primary server, and had Widomaker forward to that server. Every time Widomaker went down, I think more players than just me thought that might be the last time.

Camping-allowed servers never won over the camping-prohibited servers. It was just that the main camping prohibited server went down. With that being the case, of the other servers available, Shmack already had a base of players that had been kicked/banned from Wido and then players started to play there due to that server being active.

I like playing on camping-prohibited servers better. It was more fun. But it was always so tough to know what was considered camping vs. what wasn't:

1. Should I be a martyr and not wait for a health box to respawn when I have 3 health? Should I not stop moving and leave a safe area knowing I'll be fragged?

2. Do I wait a few seconds for the red armor to respawn? I don't know when it will respawn, will it be 5 seconds or 25 seconds?

3. Do I "keep moving" in a situation where I will get fragged?

4. One time Steve got in trouble for stocking up on supplies and grappling to the wall somewhere when there were only a few seconds until map time expired. He wanted to be stocked for the next map and wanted to avoid dying.

It seemed to me on Widomaker that a lot of the players that won always rode the line between camping and not camping just enough to usually avoid being accused of camping enough for admin to kick 'em.

Yeah, there are a lot of annoying things that go on at Shmack. But with 3 second spawn shields, it isn't the super annoying shameless grenade spamming of spawn points.

And the TLTQ admins had to know the hosting of Widomaker was in jeopardy. They could have made efforts to transititon traffic to the TLTQ server and list quake.tltq.com as the prime server long before Widomaker shut down.

I always thought it was a scary proposition depending on the Widomaker server as the base server of the tltq.com site because it was free and therefore it could go at any time, especially as the burden on server maintainance at Widomaker Communications kept increasing.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Ben and those guys had nothing at all to do with wido for the first 5 years. War, Mental and myself would play 18 hours a day to attract new players. It was a great server and I doubt anyone publicly knows what really went on behind the scenes for it to fall into ben's hands. But we've seen the result.

Camping was a nuisance, having wido taken away just plain hurt.
    Chuck

Comment

That's why I say all matches should be Axematches. Skill.
      "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

OMFG stop camping with your axe!

Comment

i used to play there

Comment

from what I recall chuck, you gave Widomaker to Ben.Can it get any simpler?
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I was on wido all the time as well.

I was wondering - was Argon still around when Wido was up?

Comment

nope,he stopped working on the RJS mod back in 02, you can read more here .
                http://www.argon.org/quake/

isnt there a fella named Argon posting at quakeone.com?
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                  4. One time Steve got in trouble for stocking up on supplies and grappling to the wall somewhere when there were only a few seconds until map time expired. He wanted to be stocked for the next map and wanted to avoid dying.
                  LOL you remember that? I think I was banned from Wido because of that. There were 30 seconds left on the map on e1m3 (Necropolis) and I had Bezerk. I wanted to keep Bezerk + my existing pack for the next level so I grappled up in that little room where the ceiling drops down after shooting a button. I think on that server they had a Vore monster up there that you could become? Don't quite remember all the details. Anyways, so I'm sitting up there and with like 10 seconds to come someone shot at me so I shot back and they said I was camping. oh well.

Comment

Everyone has a different style of playing. If you play better camping then running around gathering items and picking fights, then go ahead and camp. If you require an aim-bot to kill me, that's fine because you'll get owned anyways. Prefer to rocketjump than use hook? on and on.

I can't stand it when people yell out:
                    1) Stop Cheating!
                    2) Demoed, prepare to be banned
                    3) Vote noaim-bots

We all have our good and bad days at quake.

Comment

from what I recall chuck, you gave Widomaker to Ben.Can it get any simpler?
                      I might as well have. In 2002 After running the server, website and modifying the game as well as the runebot code for years I decided to go back to college and finish my degree. I asked IEEE to take over the server for me because I trusted him.

A few months later I was diagnosed with "terminal" lung-cancer. After amny many tests and scans and biopsies it was determined I had caught TB from my place of work at the time as a counselor at the local detox facility.

I was forced to leave work for a time and school. Actually I was quarantined in my own home.

I told IEEE what was up and said thanks but I needed to go back to running things because I had all that time and was really a mess from the cancer scare and crap. He said no and turned around and gave full control to ben.

I've posted this many times but nobody seemed to grasp what happened.

That's all.
                      Chuck

Comment

Oh, there's more to it than that. You left out about a million details.

In hindsight you should've just taken Wido down right then.
                        "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

It's alive!

Let's hear your version.
                          Chuck

Comment

My story is "Chuck just likes to stir up @#$%".

The end.
                            "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

I don't know which story is true nor am I taking any sides, but Chuck is speaking about his past with emotion while IEEE is just playing the "I didn't do it" game.

We want details and story! But in any case, what's done is done and nothing any says will bring back the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X