Post Expiration Dates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Expiration Dates

How long does it take for a post to no longer be considered "New" to an account? Because it is rather deceiving when I go to the Forum front page, and all these sections show up as having new posts in them, but its really just an assortment of posts on threads Ive never been interested in back on page 3 or so. On, for example, the Transfusion forum, if I never go to a thread, after a certain period of time it simply switches to not being a new post and doesnt highlight as if its something new.

Just an inquiry as it is rather annoying having to keep up with threads Im not interested in, just for the new post notification to honestly matter, and it works like a charm over at Transfusions.

This is getting rambly.
    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

The board was initially set up the way you describe the Transfusion forum as acting, however we were having problems with the forum not setting topics as being read after you really did read it. Instead we opted to use a new feature of vBulletin - threads are only marked as read until you click on it. If you don't click on it, it'll never be read and should remain as "new" to you. What you can do is once you've read everything you're interested in on the forums, go to the main page of the forums and click on the link that says "Mark Forums As Read" - this will make every topic as being read. BTW, this feature of the forum is actually supposed to be better and more logical for marking topics as being read. The way the Transfusion forum works is not as logical and reliable. It uses cookies to determine read times and will set all topics not read after X hours from the time in the cookie as being read. The drawback to this method is the cookies can fail or get screwed up and mark everything as read when it hasn't or can be erased or reset and everything will be listed as new. Also, if you log on from different computers to read the forums, everything will be listed as new. The way our forums are currently set up, if you log on to the forums here from a different computer, your topics read will be accurate. If all that makes any sense to you, you rock

Comment

So its serverside as opposed to clientside. I can see the case for such, I just personally havent had any problem with locally stored data, and if it got wiped saying I read everything... I dont know, I rely on my memory more so. It just irks me to see threads lit up that Im really not interested in. Particularly when the thread is on page 2 or 3 and no one has commented in a while.

*shrug*
      Just a thought.

Comment

Well like I said in my post, once you're done reading the forums, click the "Mark Forums Read" link on the main page of the forums. This will mark every topic as being read. Just get in the habit of doing this when you're done reading and it'll all work out

Comment

Yeah I already am, I just honestly had never noticed it before.

Comment

Keep the system the way it is! I constantly go on and off. It's not like I have time to read 100 new posts in the morning

Comment

Working...
            X