The Besmellians

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Besmellians

There is a strong community of Quakeworld players in Australia and their primary site is centered around Besmella Quake.

Besmella is a small town in Australia and a couple of members are from that town, hence the name and the origins. Their site has been around in many forms for a long time.

In Australia, like in Europe and many parts of world, Quakeworld almost completely replaced standard Quake as the client of choice due to the vastly improved netcode that was particularly vital in the dial-up days.

Many of us have been friends with these guys for about year when the TLTQ community "discovered" them (or maybe that was in reverse).

Their ambassador, heh, vb has often done a lot of myth busting about Quakeworld over at the Singed site and is all around a big proponent of the game.

If have never been to their site before, you should check it out at:

http://www.besmella-quake.com

They are a fun bunch of guys and the most fun Quakeworlders I know of (and have the nicest site, as well.)

If you have any Quakeworld questions, it has been my experience they are the most knowledgeable and also host the EZQuake forum and a forum for FTEQuakeworld.

Some of them participated in the Singed.Net photo contest. Aquashark for sure, maybe vb if you count what he submitted
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Please consider stopping by the Besmella site and saying "hi" in this thread:

http://besmella-quake.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4880
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

heh.. yeah
      it's kind of odd to be a besmellian since i'm not from Australia.. but it is now my virtual home (i have a column there )

one quake to rule them all.

Comment

I thought u were from Australia? Where are you from then?

Comment

Romania, Europe

(is my English that good? )
          one quake to rule them all.

Comment

I'll be damned. I had no idea.

> is my English that good

Yes

(Good idea on the map link, we aren't sure if Monster knows where Canada is for sure so that was helpful and Canadian Sniper might think that was in Italy without the map)

Comment

Very good English I must say, I wouldve never suspected English wasnt your first language.

That and, no offense, but of the Romanian's Ive encountered, only one had any grasp of English really.
              Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Besmellians

that sounds bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                  (Good idea on the map link, we aren't sure if Monster knows where Canada is for sure so that was helpful and Canadian Sniper might think that was in Italy without the map)
                  I may be random but I'm not retarded!

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper
                    I may be random but I'm not retarded!
                    Heh, just picking on you and da Monst3r a little.

Comment

I kno where Canada is!! I have a 105 or something in my world history class. Whenever we have to do work, the teacher just lets me go on the computer and pretty much do whatever I want.

Comment

Thanks for the big wrap Baker

The name of the small town the 2 founders of BesMella (dirtbox (aka sparky) & Puglet) are from is actually Benalla. The word 'BesMella' came about when members of a rival clan (nV) called Benalla 'Besmella'.

Europe and Australia aren't the only places where QW replaced NetQuake years ago - QW replaced it the world over, even in North and South America. NA for instance has only 5 people playing NetQuake at the moment, but 25 playing QuakeWorld.

It wasn't just dial-up players that were intersted in QuakeWorld - The 0ms physics, more efficient netcode, bandwidth control, NAT support, native skins support, native team name support, extra HUD configurability, extra network information (eg: ping/pl), extra graphical configurability, extra console configurability, and hell knows whatever else I've forgot, was attractive to all players. QuakeWorld was basically Quake 1.1, but stopped short of offering single player out of the box (single player was implemented by the community anyway thanks to the game source code being availible).

And that was just back then - QW has progressed a lot since then.

The founders may be Aussie, as well as a lot of the people at the site, but not everybody. Check out the forum memberlist:

www.besmella-quake.com/forum/memberlist.php

and this snippet of traffic statistics:

Europe 45.75%
                        Oceania 26.73%
                        North America 20.04%

Additionally, we've always covered all Quake news, not just QuakeWorld specific stuff. Check out this cache of BesMella from 5 years ago:

http://web.archive.org/web/200105162...lla-quake.com/

I'm no ambassador for anything, I'm just a guy who likes good games like Quake (both NQ and QW, SP and MP, international and intranational) and CPMA and likes to promote such things. BesMella isn't the only site I admin/contribute to, I look after Quaddicted and own-age.com for example too.
                        Last edited by vb-; 04-02-2006, 04:26 AM.
                        #Quake1

Comment

Working...
                        X