Yellow No. 5 + RA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow No. 5 + RA

I played a few games of RA with Tical and for the most part got owned (15-1, 15-2 type of scores). But on our 3rd gig at ArenaX I was actually leading 8-3 for a while.

I lost 15-11 but playing Yellow No. 5 a lot in RA is about the best training you can get at flat maps.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

"at flat maps"
    Best training you can get FOR flat maps, or best training for Quake that you can get in a flat map?

Id love to get a lot better at Quake, but I dont want to just become good at say, RA flat maps (I had a dream about one...).
    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Rocket Arena is basically a duel and you have all the weapons and 200 armor. A timer counts down and you begin. Flat maps have nothing to hide behind and no terrain, so it tends to be a rocket launcher and lightning gun map.

Tical is one of the best. His lightning gun aim is like a laser.

The opposite of Tical is Yellow No. 5, he is a rocket player. He dodges rockets like the Matrix too, it is annoying.

On a flat map, if you are good, you can keep a lightning gun player away by shooting rockets in such a way that they can't come closer without taking damage.

This sounds more complicated than it is. Just think of it as a cowboy style shootout except you have a rocket launcher and a lightning gun.

Flat maps involve no strategy as a rule except to find an opponents weakness, if you can.

I was hesistant to try rocket arena my first time because I feared getting owned, but then when I tried you realize how much fun you can have even if you lose.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Oh Im very familiar with Rocket Arena, I was around when it came out, and VERY briefly played it, but the maps were not flat by any means, merely tight.

It was the concept of flat maps I wasnt sure on and if they had practical training beyond being good at those maps - but if it does really help one to excel at rocket and shaft skills, I can see that.

Shit, now I want to play. Even though Id get owned like real estate.
        Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

So...what is it that you're training for? Relax, enjoy a good relaxing game like I do. You don't have to get all worked up and own people all the time.

Come visit us: www.etfellowship.com

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
            Even though Id get owned like real estate.
            Who cares?

Everyone gets owned to start, but there are so many different types of games, it is just a matter of picking one that you don't mind getting owned on.

For instance, the quake.shmack.net server runs RuneQuake. There are players that will always score less than 10 frags in a 50 frag game.

They often spend their time making parts of the map radioactive, setting fire traps and camping and coming up with annoying and tricky ways to kill the rock solid players that hunt them down (and mock the superior players when they get fragged). It is basically our new player training ground.

More experienced players play there as well but some will often head to a different server to play a more serious game in the evenings when things are busier. You could also play coop at the Future Vs. Fantasy server that doesn't involve fighting other players.

Comment

Originally posted by urdead
              So...what is it that you're training for? Relax, enjoy a good relaxing game like I do. You don't have to get all worked up and own people all the time.
              It doesn't matter how good you are at quake, because there's always someone that will own you.

This guy!

Comment

Exactly, so what are you training for?

Come visit us: www.etfellowship.com

Comment

Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper
                  It doesn't matter how good you are at quake, because there's always someone that will own you.
                  It doesn't matter how much you suck at Quake because you can always find someone that sucks worse on a free for all server.

Comment

Tical is the best out there, as of now. I told you. Baker. You have underestimated the TICAL's POWER! Although. I did beat him 15-10 or somewhere around there twice. He raised his ping to 50 though. (OOhh big diff from 0 ping lol)

Comment

Tical is 4 x elite, I like playing superior players.

Comment

I guess without his 0 ping, he isn't too "elite".

Comment

Playing at a higher ping (115) when I was on qwest dsl (which I later found out was due to the crappy actiontec router they provided) made me better at RA. I was forced to plan my shots more, try harder to predict which way a player would stafe, and where they will shoot next.

Ticals rocks at dm, but isn't the greatest at ra. I beat him in ra more often than not. Yorb beats me about 80% of the time at ra. Some other dm/ca players are better than me at ra too.
                          Last edited by Yellow No. 5; 04-02-2006, 05:10 PM.
                          uakene.com

Comment

Do you mean Yorb? Yeah, that guy is fucking ownage at RA. I can't score anything on him, and even I can get 6 or 7 frags on Yellow. (before he gets warmed up of course )

Comment

Working...
                            X