Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do you still play Quake?

Curious. Why do you still play Quake?

I still play quake because it's like the original Mario for Nintendo, always fun, no matter how many times you play it. I love the first person action, the speed, the fighting face to face. Despite trying out the newer games that have come over the years, nothing seems to compare to Quake 1. Quake 2, personally, was garbage to me. It was nothing like Quake 1, yet it did create a base of some sort for Quake 3, which happens to be a decent game.

I guess I'm just ready to start fully cooperating in bringing new players to Quake. I decided I'd figure out why you guys all still play, what draws you to the game despite the fact that you know what the next shot is going to be? What the outcome will most likely be? As a community, despite how many of you may or may not say it's dwindling, is still solid.

I love(d) running the 2-2's. They were great. And big ups to Drez0r for all his help, as well as Taxi, Yellow-5, Sole, Bryant, and the rest of you. But I think we need more things to happen in order to bring a larger playerbase. I've seen threads about winning money, prizes, etc, but who honestly is willing to contribute to that, if that means more players? I don't mean for this to be a dead end thread, or to talk about things brought up repeatedly, but seriously, it seems like a lot has been set in motion, and it could drastically bring some new competition. So why do you still play Quake?
    uakene.com

As I mentioned into another thread, I will always use Quake to do my warmups before I play any other game. It warms up my fingers and tunes them up for fraggin'.

Other than that, playing Quake keeps my reflexes sharp and my hand-eye coordination.

After the warmup I find it so easy to press a binded button to connect me to a server, so I do and I have fun playing. I think the number one answer is fun, as the game has such a basic feel to it yet it is deep to those that want to play it that way. In other words, Quake is a game that you can play how you want, wether pro or noob-like, it is still great as you are having fun.

About the tournament for money idea, I do not think that is a good one unless some major critical things will be taken care of. For one, when it comes to playing for money there will be a lot of bitterness instilled into people when losing. Ego is one thing, if you add money on top, whoaa! then they are really pissed.

Second, there are going to be a lot of big shots running around destroying everybody and no noobs will want to play and they will run away to games they can play without dying over and over. Noobs do not like getting repeatedly owned, and especially with money involved they are not going to be suckers to keep paying to get owned. Unless they are going to be some training classes with instructors, this is a great idea, to prepare them for tournaments. The classes can be paid or free (?-debatable) and this will be a great source of income to pay for the servers and add to the money pot for tournament winners and prizes.

Third, the cheating paranoia will exuberate. Cheating must be eliminated at all costs, otherwise A LOT of players are going to be put off, especially when money is involved.

-T.
    Last edited by Paradise; 05-10-2008, 06:49 PM.

Comment

Fun.

Comment

Nothing else has compared (first person shooter wise) when it comes to Quake, Half Life 1 &2 are great games in my opinion and I enjoyed them both online and offline.

Quake 1 to me is somewhat of a sandbox of a game. The source is free, free online play(unless you pay for servers), the physics of the game match the theme of the game.

I either like my games to do these two things.

1. Fun and interesting game play
        2. Diverse mods

While Quake 1 is a 12 year old game, it is gaming in its most basic form and you can play it with minimal effort, movement/jump/fire are all you really need compared to newer games which severely crank up the unneeded features and don't focus to much on the actual game.

BF2 for instance has an incredibly long loading time, required a decent PC and theres 100's different in game buttons to memorize for on foot, vehicle, airplane,tank,boat. I do enjoy seeing games becomes more realistic, but BF2(and many other new fps games) are concentrating to much on pretty things that happen when you move around the environment and not enough pull on gameplay/funfactor.

I see FPS games repeating the same functions everywhere, BF2,Q2,3&4,HL2 etc... they all have some great moments but they dragged the feel of Quake 1 out so far that its become a constant static theme for FPS games to eventually at one point, suck.

I have a $1,000+ game library but these days I only find myself playing Quake 1 for its simple pickup and go, in your face, rude action. Quake 1 is what it was destined to be, (for me at least) a game that you can push past its limits and exploit the environment for various advantages, something that didn't need to be purposely programmed into Quake 1, which other games strive to achieve.

Newer gamers might say Quake 1 is an ugly game, but the jokes on them seeing how Quake was MEANT to be a down and dirty gritty game (lets not forget its a 12 year old game at that). the problem I think Quake has is the scope of newer games, don't get me wrong, Quake is just fine being a simple FPS. But the models are a bit hasty on their design and textures aren't high Quality by default. WHICH IS SOMETHING NEW AGE GAMERS WANT. Even if the game looks dirty new gamers expect it to look good in its own way. ProQuake isn't going to demonstrate much vitality in a 12 year old game like other engines can, if you want eye candy, you have to use a different engine. If you want "security" you have to go with ProQuake, which only really shows YOU aren't cheating.

Theres a huge divide with many subdivides in Quake's structure and the actual community as well. A unified conclusion seems like it would greatly influence newcomers since they would see an graphical/stability growth in the game's core features, not spin off engines and mods.

I play Quake 1 because it does it right and it doesn't have to look pretty. Others might disagree.
        Last edited by Phenom; 05-11-2008, 12:44 AM.
        QuakeOne.com
        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I notice in Qrack, the players face has great graphics when looking at head on, but when he turns his head or what not, the "oldschool" profile view of him is shown. I think that is one thing that needs a little more work graphicwise. Anyhow, well put JW. Thoroughly enjoyed reading your comments
          uakene.com

Comment

Yes and I wanted to say that Quake just feels right, control, physics and everything. Right from the moment I first jumped in.

I tend to compare a lot of FPS games to Quake in terms of how they feel, and I am dissapointed with many but still choose to play them to add variety to my gaming sessions.

My biggest dissapointment of all was with the UT series. Why is the movement and physics so floaty and slow into that game? I laid down the bucks for UT3 and it feels the same as with the prequels. Am I the only one on this? I am done with UTs forever now, lol.

I strongly believe that Quake must be the Bible of how all FPS's must control and game physics play out then add further elements. A lot of FPS's are just completely missing the point of a good and enjoyable FPS experience, which Quake simplisticly captures it so extremely well.

Comment

Yes and I wanted to say that Quake just feels right, control, physics and everything
              Thats what my prom date said!

bottom line i think there are 2 reasons for most, friends and fun. or is it cause newbs when deep fried are tasty!
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Deepfriednewbie's are tasty We need more!
                uakene.com

Comment

Originally posted by Paradise View Post
                  I strongly believe that Quake must be the Bible of how all FPS's must control and game physics play out then add further elements. A lot of FPS's are just completely missing the point of a good and enjoyable FPS experience, which Quake simplistically captures it so extremely well.
                  I disagree. The last thing we need is every game trying to be quake 1. Let those games have their day. Quake 1 is here for us to enjoy and share with others.

We already have a load of games trying to copy Quake 1 in some relevance of physics or atmosphere. Stop creating crappy knock offs that have some kind of awkward twist!

I do play newer FPS games such as, HL2,TF2,Portal,QW:ET,BF2,BF2142, FarCry,Quake4 & Doom3 to name some of the FPS in my library. They all have their own genuine 'game universe' that players get emerged in, Quake 1 having a very shallow 'game univsere' could easily replenish its image, if it was done right.

Quake 1 doesn't need fine tuning, flashier mods with every option rolled into a single function, those are trivial in today's games. Quake 1 needs to go back to its primal roots and stop trying to be turned into something better if things should move forward.

What do you expect when you load Quake? No crouching, No vehicles, No server browser, No auto-map download, No mod download. Some of those features are utterly offensive to a true NetQuaker, crouching? Theres some obvious hits in there of course, server browser, map downloader & auto-mod downloader which Baker has completed most of these obstacles.

This game needs more time, planning, strategy and stability before it can even begin to start pulling in new players, I've seen new players trickle in from time to time, 95% of them are returning users who already have a previous knowledge of Quake 1. There needs to be a wide publicized re-introduction of Quake 1 with all its polish put on (features) and a highly dedicated highly motivated attitude coming from its current members.

Originally posted by Paradise View Post
                  As I mentioned into another thread, I will always use Quake to do my warmups before I play any other game. It warms up my fingers and tunes them up for fraggin'.
                  I use Quake to warm up on Quake
                  Last edited by Phenom; 05-11-2008, 01:14 AM.
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                  Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Thanks for reading and commenting on my post. I hope to finally have a discussion with you the way it should be without insulting each other and flames involved.

Yes, I think you misunderstood me and I was not clear enough on this for you and perhaps others to understand. I should have made it clearer.

Let me clarify.

I was not talking about FEATURES. I was talking about the IN GAME MOVEMENT and PHYSICS of the game.

Such as how tightly and responsive the controls for movement are and how the weapons feel just right and the gunfire they produce just fits into the whole atmosphere of the game.

You know how some games when you move around you slide more then you should then when you jump up, the character jumps up kinda of slowly and too high. That sort of thing, the physics. To me, none is the worst offender than UT.

I gave it plenty of chances and now I am just downright pissed off with it. The whole physics of is screwy. I played UT: GOYE, UT2003, UT2004 and now UT3. Anyway, this conversation is not about UT, but about Quake, how the designers got the feel of Quake down.

Also you made the good observation of how there are other good games. I can see that most of the other "classics" are Quake engine based games, not all, but some are.

HL1&2, Hexen 2, Doom3, Q4, Portal, TF2, ET - they all use some form of a heavily modified Quake 1 engine - and they all play great. The Source engine, running Valve's latest batch of games, does use some code from id as well. And yes, I have played some Medal of Honor games and they use some licensed id code as well. BF is basicly a sequel to MOH and it is mainly MP. Point is, the engines are similar but changed to fit each game, i.e. evolved.

The only one you mentioned that does not use a modified Quake based engine is FarCry, which uses the CryEngine. I can talk about this game more, but there is no point. Just look at the screenshots and download the demo before purchasing the full version, this goes for people that do not have it.

The sequel is great as well, Crysis, but it requires one beast of a computer. Point is, they are both great games and are radically different from Quake - features wise - yet they are a great joy to play and are therefore worth it in every sense - money and time. And yes, they were and are successful as well.
                    Last edited by Paradise; 05-11-2008, 02:56 AM.

Comment

Quakes a living work of art.

That is why i still play it.

I don't know why, but i like quake 1's textures way more than any of the other quakes out there.

An it was the architexture and the textures in general that kept me with this game, as well as the various types of game play it supported.

Which to me, made this a truely unique game. Like that of "Crash n' Burn" for the Panasonic 3DO which not many will remember or even know of, but that game was unique with game play, as well as the fact the maps are trippy as hell, and the fact the manual for "Crash N' Burn" Specifically have a "Epilipsy" warning in it... made it even cooler tho when i first discovered that game i couldnt read too well.

Eitherway, i think quake 1 is just very unique and for some reason, it's the only PC game i actually play.

Comment

i like the sound of the first nail gun; that hollow idustral-factroy-like banging sound and its movement goes together greatly; and also its a nailgun! instead of the overused machene gun; i mean,comon how many games let you fill monsters with steel?...and also how the monsters from quake, most dont have eyes wich gives you that feeling of that they came from a barbarik dark ugly land just to eat you
                        _______
                        /...........\
                        /^^^^^^\
                        _/ \^^^^^^/\_
                        / \_______/ \

/\..../\.../\......./\.../\..../\
                        | |..| |..| |......| |..| |..| |
                        |...||...||...|....|...||...||...|
                        Last edited by metchsteekle; 05-11-2008, 11:17 AM.

Comment

Why not?

Comment

Because I can...
                            e|------------------------0---------------
                            B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                            G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                            D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                            A|---------------0------------------------
                            E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Because you can? You sound like my 8 year old nephew
                              uakene.com

Comment

Working...
                              X