Unregistered users get ads?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unregistered users get ads?

I think Steve has decided that unregistered users will get Google ads at the top of the page. If you are logged in, this doesn't happen.

I'm just posting this because I was confused testing different browsers to make sure the news looked correct and finally figured it out.

If you prefer to not see the ads and don't want your name displayed in the logged in user's block, goto Personal CP and then Edit Options and turn invisible mode on.

I don't know if this is a final decision Steve made or an experiment in regards to the Google ads, but he hosts the server and we are getting a ton of visitors and bandwidth usage.
    Last edited by Baker; 04-02-2006, 03:14 AM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Sorry I was testing last night and forgot to turn it off before I went to sleep. I spoke with Yellow regarding this a week or so ago. We decided that by displaying ads at the top of the page (annoying to see as it takes up space) it gives unregistered users incentive for registering. I'll post a news item or some sort of FAQ somewhere regarding this soon.

I'm going to try to incorporate some ads on the site to try and help defray some costs of hosting, but for registered users they'll be unobtrusive. Smaller and off to the side or bottom of page instead of smack dab in the top middle of the site.

Comment

Is it possible to display a message right above the ads saying "unregistered users get ads to defray the costs of hosting the site; Support us by registering." ... or something to that effect?

Otherwise, they won't know that.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I think it's against Google's TOS to do that next to the ads. I was thinking of maybe sticking a message in the login box in the user menu that says 'Register to Remove Ads'

Comment

Can it go at the very top of the page? The ads are below the QuakeOne header, could they go above it? Does that count as "not next to it?"

I don't really care as long as the users understand that registration eliminates those ... or even if it matters, we've had 4-6 people register since this morning so that didn't seem to discourage anyone.

Comment

Possibly. Another idea would be to make a bar appear at the top of the page like you get when in IE and a site needs to install some ActiveX script or whatever... I'll figure something out.

Comment

I was thinking something along the lines of an "about ads on this site" link by the unregistered-user-only ad block, that would explain ads only help contribute to the hosting costs, and to register to remove largest ad banner. Would that be ok by google's TOS?
              uakene.com

Comment

Working...
              X