No announcement yet.

Servers from the past! List them here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Servers from the past! List them here!

I know that most of the servers we started on/use to play on are long gone, but lets hear where YOU use to play! Remember your first Quake server?

For me I started on a Alaskan server quake.customcpu.com and quake.alaska.net. After a while I migrated to APCI, SNOWCREST, MC & IHOC, theres a couple others but I rarely played there probably dew to high ping being in Alaska at that time.

I averaged a 250 ping on Dial up at quake.customcpu.com (my first ISP also) and 250 on quake.alaska.net, other servers were located in the lower 48 states so I only played there if the servers were populated.

What about you guys/gals?
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

signed, widomaker, chuck's servers... I think quake.nygma.com? played lots of slide and ra at nygma. The old FVF server run by x-men is gone, now ORL's dad hosts fvf. That's pretty much my quake history... :p
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

quake.echo-on.net

It was a custom pub CTF mod written by some dude in Canada who ran the server. It also housed The Mage Clan which was the first clan I joined (name was FireMage)!! There is where I learned all the basic CTF strategies like defending base, hiding with flag, etc.

The server featured the 4 basic runes - strength, resist, haste, regen - but also featured two custom developed runes which were awsome in the day. One was called Necromancer Rune which acted just like the current Vampric Rune on RuneQuake servers with one added bonus. A special bind would allow you to turn into a Necromancer and fly around the map shooting a green "beam" which woud suck in health to you. It was mainly used to hunt down the flag holder in large games. The drawback to this was your body was left behind and took a +50% damage from any hit.

The other rune was the Ninja Rune which let you walk around without making noise and would give you the invisibility ring every X seconds. I think there was a little more to it but I can't remember, I never liked that rune

Best. Server. Ever.

Comment

I think the first server I ever set foot on was Marlinspike. That server, The Hating (CTF) and Darkzone were the busiest servers back then. A couple times I wandered into the IHOC servers. There was a NetDoor server too. Most servers were either CTF or Artifact Quake, plus one that ran the mod with tripwires and guided missiles.

Maybe a year later, Chuck intermittently ran I guess maybe it was the Widomaker server with some custom maps and I think that was the first time I ever played a custom map.

I still would like to see some ideal use for sofdm1!

I owned Quake for 3-4 years before actually ever trying it online. In the really early days, everyone had a Quake server. The company that did local dialup internet had Quake servers, one advertised with the special feature of "the grappling hook".

For years, I would wonder how this "grappling hook" could be used in single player and of course never did figure it out, since there wasn't one.
        Last edited by Baker; 06-01-2008, 10:06 AM.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

The two main servers I recall on the european side of the atlantic were Dircon.co.uk ( also known as netscaliber) and demon.co.uk. Unfortunately both are now defunct but Dircon regularly used to suffer from quite obvious bots 'twitching' their way to the top of the leaderboard in a matter of minutes. Shame really as it was a nice server most of the time and attracted some nice players at times (including Sir Henry, Fodder, Raz, Buurvrow, peg, Polarite, etc).

GCHQ, based in Manchester, England used to be okay later in the evenings as did Topsid in Germany which ran the servermodules mod, and finally blackhat from [i think] Sweden.

Stateside: the places that stood out to me as interesting, good places to be were Singed, junker (playing the likes of Slurpee Machine) and Anthrax's server (which had a development of the Deatmatch plus mod which included a very believeable 'fein death' impulse [Note to R00k: might be fun for inclusion in your new DMP Total Conversion ?])

Kr's

Monty
          Mr.Burns
          "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
          WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
          Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

My first quake experience was on a local server from my isp, quake.cis.net, I even specifically remember the map: The Palace Of Hate. Baker that's crazy that the grapple hook was advertised Shows how popular Quake was at it's peak huh?

My first CTF server I don't remember, I just remember staying up ALL night thinking I was fragging everybody (even my team) and I was hooked! I average 350 ping.

Anycomp.com was my main CTF server. This is where the clan DH started. Clan 420 owned the server, Lago and Blackzombie. This ended up being my first CTF clan as well, 420.

I remember staying up for HOURS on quake.petronet.net (headhunters) which was so fucking awesome. If you guys haven't played headhunters, I highly suggest you do so, hh.clanhdz.com is up to this day.

Quake.Apci.net, Quake.Dread.Net, and Snowcrest.net (Phenom I'm sure we were playing each other on these servers and didn't even realize it.)

Also for CTF there's the obvious: Erols. Pub 3wave and it was full everyday!

My first name in quake EVER was Shit[TH]Happens

The history of Frenzy!
            uakene.com

Comment

My first server was Quake.Intertex.net. It was straight quake. No hook, no runes, but I loved it immediately. My first experience with Quake single player didn't go well. I saw the big spider thingy on some level and distinctly remember hiding behind a wall thinking "What the F*ck is that!". I quit Quake and vowed to never go back. A friend mentioned you could play online and I used Gamespy *I think* to find the server with the best ping and my love for online Quake was born. Toyo eventually introduced me to Marlinspike and runequake and I never looked back.

Comment

Originally posted by Cherrie View Post
                My first server was Quake.Intertex.net. It was straight quake. No hook, no runes, but I loved it immediately. My first experience with Quake single player didn't go well. I saw the big spider thingy on some level and distinctly remember hiding behind a wall thinking "What the F*ck is that!". I quit Quake and vowed to never go back. A friend mentioned you could play online and I used Gamespy *I think* to find the server with the best ping and my love for online Quake was born. Toyo eventually introduced me to Marlinspike and runequake and I never looked back.
                I've seen worse... :p
                e|------------------------0---------------
                B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                A|---------------0------------------------
                E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy View Post
                  Quake.Apci.net, Quake.Dread.Net, and Snowcrest.net (Phenom I'm sure we were playing each other on these servers and didn't even realize it.)

Also for CTF there's the obvious: Erols. Pub 3wave and it was full everyday!

My first name in quake EVER was Shit[TH]Happens

The history of Frenzy!
                  HAH EROLS! One of my oldschool favorites!

Some of my early Quake names were

Walnut[DG]420 (not clan 420 but clan Deranged Gerbils which I was the leader]

Ruthless

Phalanx

Phelix-KJ-(XClan Kill Joy which I was the leader]

and wSx R00k [Not Intertex or programmer R00k! ]

I remember clans like AEX [Alaskan EXtreme] with Hermitis, Venture, Kirby & Hoss, all were top notch players, Hermitis being the best in Alaska at the time, Hermitis and Kirby ran a Rocket Arena LAN business where people could come and play for $5 an hour, I got free access dew to my friendship with Hermitis & Kirby.

Fun times
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                  Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I remember playing tons of dm on THC servers, quake.linkport.com, quake.toolcity.net, and one of the stanford servers

I started playing ctf in mid-late 98 on hating, admor, anycomp, and a few others i can't remember.

Back then I didn't seem to mind playing with a 250 ping or a 400 ping so long as I could move around without humping too many walls.

Comment

kitty1.standford.edu

Comment

quake.anycomp.com
                        quake.mplayer.com (i think?)
                        quake.intertex.net

favorite: quake.dsuper.net

Comment

I remember part of an IP I had memorized to connect to a server... 208.201.something... I think it was IHOC. I remember playing runes (rjs or something old) on e1m7 on dialup and not being able to tell what was going on due to the horrendous lag. Schnoggo is the earliest server name I remember, I don't know when that related to Marlinspike.

Comment

Other old European servers from the past.
                            The server I was born on in 1996 was quake.ping.be dmplus mod in dm vanilla setting! Very popular !!

bambi.euronet.be

quake.skynet.be
                            quake.agora.dk
                            ngi5.ngi.it
                            quake.flashnet.it
                            130.257.... something Zoo and Zoodance from sweden , popular..
                            quake.xs4all.nl one of the popular servers in europe.
                            quake.inet.dk
                            quake.wxs.nl , popular
                            quake.demon.nl
                            quake.easynet.co.uk
                            medusa.swt.tuwien.ac.at
                            aibarco2.wu-wien.ac.at
                            zeta.res.cms.dmu.ac.uk
                            alchemy.noc.u-net.net
                            talat7.nbi.dk
                            news.ots.dk
                            cafe13.netcafe.dk
                            bonehead.cs.hut.fi
                            aulne.infini.fr
                            leary.ping.de
                            splatterfest.nacamar.de
                            quake.cdh.it
                            www.divinf.it
                            quake.bart.nl
                            quake.abm.si
                            quake.ludd.luth.se
                            pain.iconmedialab.se
                            quake.dude.postnet.se

From work
                            My servers for the gamers:
                            bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
                            port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
                            Offline ATM
                            fvf.servequake.com
                            flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
                            Offline ATM
                            newdm.servequake.com
                            port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
                            sigpic

Comment

..and you've no doubt scared everyone off those servers too! :d (just kidding)

Good too see that the Deathmatch plus (ver1.0) modded server was popular. I wish I knew at the time as I had to play on Junker in the states with 300-400 ping. Thank heaven for the new DMP server (Flanders.servegame.org:26004).
                              Mr.Burns
                              "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                              WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                              Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Working...
                              X