Servers from the past! List them here!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hey gulliver!

yeah i remember flashnet. (My ISP for a while too) they had like 6 servers going in the hay days.. Thats where we learned to play! Lol i remember playinh without +mlook and not knowing wtf it was. I would go to good DM servers and watch these people aim up and down soo smoothly. I would ask them what the hell? How are you guys able to presss page up and page down while moving and shooting? They laughed at me and told me about +mlook.

I also remember these CTF servers that were quite popular back in the day. They had 1 extra mod included on top of the CTF. They had a "Sniper Rifle" which was super shot gun pressed twice. Then you would have a Sniper Rifle and it shot 1 nail out and would kill instantly. It is pretty much the same script Phenom has on Dredd. Even sounds the same. Anyways that was a fun server... Cant remember name though.

Comment

I enjoyed teamplay.net, played there a lot.
      Before that, clubcam, erols, texas.net, hating, many others.

Comment

I remember when most servers went to sv_aim 2 (or 1+). That changed everything.

Comment

I think we had a topic like this, but I'll post what I remember again:

quake.zebra.net
          quake.zebranet.net
          quake.zip.net
          quake.ziptex.net
          quake.1st.net (badass DM)
          quake.fundy.org (DM)
          quake.petronet.net (HH)
          quake.apci.net:26001 (DM)
          quake.snowcrest.net (DM I think)
          quake.netdoor.com
          quake.intertex.net
          quake.argon.org (RQ) <-- eventually became Marlinspike, by the way. This was the oldest version of this server I remember as well as my favorite old-school server of all time.
          quake.dread.net (CTF)

And of course later I got all into the IHOC servers, but the ones listed above were the ones I played before I went to play Q2 for like a year.

I feel like I'm missing something....oh well.

I used to have an old list on a piece of paper that I taped to my wall, but I don't know what happened to it. It's funny, I listed all of these and now am looking at previous posts and finding out some of you played on the same servers I did.

Comment

If we're listing all old servers (not just our first) then I'll go ahead and mention a couple more:

quake.nac.net. It was kinda fun, kinda infuriating. Just a very poor hack of a mod, and it never changed. [Edit: and judging by the server listing page, it's still around. DIE ALREADY]

redrum's DMPlus old school junker server: http://www.oldschooljunker.150m.com/

DMPlus was a case where a bug make for a very fun feature (thus Gunter would never have allowed it ).
            Last edited by gulliver-trans; 06-09-2008, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by gulliver-trans View Post
              If we're listing all old servers (not just our first) then I'll go ahead and mention a couple more:

quake.nac.net. It was kinda fun, kinda infuriating. Just a very poor hack of a mod, and it never changed. [Edit: and judging by the server listing page, it's still around. DIE ALREADY]

redrum's DMPlus old school junker server: http://www.oldschooljunker.150m.com/

DMPlus was a case where a bug make for a very fun feature (thus Gunter would never have allowed it ).
              I remember redrum! Damn I miss Quake!
              QuakeOne.com
              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
              Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
              Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I mostly went to ihoc.net servers. Those were (and still are, if people actually go in it) quite fun.

Nowadays all I get is Runequake, Runequake, Runequake.

Which isn't all that bad.

Comment

Originally posted by gulliver-trans View Post
                  ...redrum's DMPlus old school junker server: http://www.oldschooljunker.150m.com/

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                  I remember redrum! Damn I miss Quake!
                  Agreed, it was a whole lot of fun playing Slurpee Machine and the DMPC clan boys there at sv_maxspeed 600. It certainly got me hooked.

Just in case you are interested Polarite runs a new version (upgraded by Zop with Crunch's blessing) of the original DMPlus mod on flanders.servegame.org:26004. In response to player requests it now gives you the option of selecting the additional weapons through impulses (22,23,etc) or via the old method (which is activated by impulse 150) of toggling the number keys. More recently, another top Quake developer tells me that he intends to do a total conversion of this mod so it's good to see that there is still some interest in it.

Kind regards

Monty
                  Mr.Burns
                  "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                  WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                  Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Working...
                  X