Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible to get TCs to release GPLed?

Hi all,

I noticed a couple threads about people asking for a full version of quake. Id still sells quake1 (but not quake3 - strange huh?) online or you can pick it up on ebay/amazon/etc. It's not even abandonware (which isn't a real legal term anyway heh)...

A total conversion for quake1 replaced everything that id software provided such as textures, models, sounds, quake c code, etc right? Do you think the quake1 community could try to get some of these mod developers to release their TCs under the GPL? If so, then wouldn't we have a completely free version of quake (well their mod for quake)?

I know there is a project to recreate all of this but that project seems to have died out. It seems strange to recreate all of it when there are so many total conversions that would fit the bill. Sure you wouldn't have quake that you could play against others on servers. But (depending on the TC ) you would have a great completely free game.

As I have zero standing in the quake1 community, I doubt the authors would listen to me. Would anyone else be willing to ask these mod developers? To me, it seems like they would jump at this because all their work and dedication would again be appreciated by a larger audience. I'm willing to track down a list of emails for the authors if someone else will do the requesting. I could request but I think it would be better for someone known in the quake1 community to do it.

can you compile a list of the Q1 TC's ?
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by kbdrate
      A total conversion for quake1 replaced everything that id software provided such as textures, models, sounds, quake c code, etc right?
      OpenQuartz, which is pretty far, though there's just no ogre, and the weapons and sounds are really odd. Could use 3 people "decrapifying" it.

Comment

re: Open Quartz

Originally posted by CheapAlert
        OpenQuartz, which is pretty far, though there's just no ogre, and the weapons and sounds are really odd. Could use 3 people "decrapifying" it.
        Oh that's the name. That's the project I was talking about. It seems to have stalled 2 years ago. The last time I played it the only enemies were trees and the levels were really basic.

That's why I think getting the existing TCs opened would be a much better solution. Some of them looked amazing.

From a technical standpoint, would this solve the issue? Could you distribute one of the modified engines with a pak file from a TC (relicensed) for a completely free GPLed game?

Comment

actually that would be a bad idea, since most quake TC authors are already gone and the TCs often use MODIFIED quake assets, so it's a no-go anyway

Comment

actually that would be a bad idea, since most quake TC authors are already gone and the TCs often use MODIFIED quake assets, so it's a no-go anyway
            I see. Hmm what about Malice? Quantum Access was always worried about getting suid by id software over copyright. For Shrak, they bypassed the issue using a loophole (custom program grabs textures at runtime). I don't think they do this for Malice though because id changed the licensing structure. Since it was a commercial mod and they wanted to avoid paying id licensing costs, I imagine everything in Malice is original or they could be sued.

Comment

Ratloop is still around. Why don't you contact them?

Comment

Sent an email to ratloop.

Ratloop is still around. Why don't you contact them?
                I just did. I sent an email with the pros and cons in my opinion of doing this. The publicity alone would be worth it for them in my opinion. You can't buy publicity like having a horde of Linux users blog about how a version of their favorite old school game is now completely GPLed.

I honestly think it would catch on especially in the Linux area. We have very few GPL first person shooter games. And none of them are anything like quake1 or Malice. Look at the bootable version of Linux (Knoppix branch) that's designed for games. There's nothing like Quake. I bet they would be excited to hear there is a free Quake1 TC turned into a GPLed game.

I've had LAN parties where we played the latest games along with quake1 and some free games such as BZflag. I'm sure we would throw in a GPLed Malice too!

Comment

You make it sound like there's no such thing as Linux Quake engines that can run Quake.

Please note that malice uses alot of stock sound effects and explosions, making it not totally GPL compliant.

Comment

You make it sound like there's no such thing as Linux Quake engines that can run Quake.
                    Oh, I don't mean to imply that. But the engine is useless without the game data. And that's common no matter what platform you run. I have lots of quake1 engines to choose from and no finished game data.

It's especially interesting to Linux users because we have few decent games in our distributions. Few people want to create GPLed games.

Please note that malice uses alot of stock sound effects and explosions, making it not totally GPL compliant.
                    Hmm when you say stock, do you mean stock from Quake or they used some software or library of sounds for it? I thought a TC meant replacing everything so stock sounds wouldn't exist.

I'll see what they have to say. Maybe they will say 10% needs to be replaced.

Comment

Working...
                    X