No announcement yet.

Quake universe timeline - is there any?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake universe timeline - is there any?

Second post, new thread, tough topic, hope i won't get flamed .

Where does exactly Quake fit in the Quake universe?. Is it even in the whole strogg story? Does it have place somewhere between Strogg Wars, or is it completely seperate event, in completely seperate universe? This question struggles me for years. There are crates with strogg logo in Quake after all, what's your opinion on that?

Thanks to Quake Wars story line whole slipgate experiments story got really messed up. I did a lot of research about this through internet, however, i couldn't find any related information about placing Quake in Quake universe timeline. Topic is tough, everybody is aware about it's existence, however nobody wants to speak about it... creators of quake wars describe their game as a quake zero. so where does exactly Quake fits in this whole strogg mess? IF it fits at all?

As far as I've ever seen or heard, the Quake1 storyline is completely separate from Quake2. I can't confirm that though.

edit: the slipgate experiments were totally separate from any quake2 story, and some mods (nehahra) carry the quake1 storyline further than id ever did.

edit2: i'm not really here
    Last edited by FragBait; 06-21-2008, 05:40 PM.

Comment

thats the thing it dosent really fit, wich is strange because its the first one usually it's the 3-5 one thats off track

quake is its own space between b-scifi and horror movies its like going too tour freezer and seeing a bincha vegitables and hotdogs, but if you digg you find the icecream, the good stuff, the quake

it also has th ability to keep you thinking, unlike most games that have a complete and solid storyline it has almost none, but thats the best kind, a vauge single minded storyline with no explanation. this makes you do that thinking to cover the holes like:

the ogre: possibly once an early tribe of man that has been traped in to the world...err... demention(s) of quake. in wich he had to eveolve to compete with the oter monsters wich throuf=gh this he has aquired

-a strong build
      -canibalisum ... canabalisulkhvjdlvr
      -sharp teeth
      -and metal works

mel works as in his chainsaw and the granade launcer wich i belave the chinsa is not powerd by a pertrolium produkt but has a large fan inside it wich when he swings the saw he builds up enough momentum thru the wind to bring the teth to ripping speeds around th arm [of the chainsaw]

as for the gl..erhaps he had a form of granade...wich means he also had alchamy smarts... made of gun powder and had originaly set them off by hand, but as they [the hordes of quakes monsters] went throght the dementions the ogre aquired a simple form of granade launcher wich they where able to reproduce via metal works

so in the end quake is the one
      the one who sands alone
      with his axe and nailgun
      firing away with no need to reload, because the guns have there own magik

Comment

yeah, i love that too, i'm so happy now that i'm not alone in that way of thinking about Quake. Everybody always says 'Quake is poor, it has no story etc etc', o reply 'It's not the story, that's limited, it's your imagination'.

Personal interpretations about the world, which Quake is put into, are very valuable, we don't get this things from games today. Quake storyline is never presented in your face, and it's very, very unique, in opposition to strogg quakes, which are in many ways very cliche. Find any story, which takes place in futuristic enviroment with flesh fused with machinery. Thousands. Find any story, which connects medieval with futuristic enviroment, and also adds horror, b-scifi, religious themes, and lovecraftanian mythology nodes. None. Absolutley none... except one and only Quake. I love this game for this. And the lack of giving everything to the player on the plate and letting to interprate and think about everything for yourself, even if done because of game relase deadline, is f***ing amazing and marvelous.

Back on topic, there are not any sources, articles or discussions touching this topic anywhere, are there guys? I like to think about Quake as a completely seperate story, although it could fit somewhere between QW and Q2, or Q2 and Q4. However, QW clearly states that slipgate technology was made by strogg, and slipgates in Quake are clearly not, partially build from stone and all covered in runes, crosses.

Is it ok and is it canon to treat Quake as a completely seperate story, while creators of messed up storyline of Quake Wars indicates it isn't?

Comment

wait wait i saw a comic that ws kinda like this
          i think somting from dj quake brb.

ok

http://deej.digitalfunk.org/djquake/djquake28.PNG
          and theirs lots more too

http://deej.digitalfunk.org/djquake.shtml
          lololol

but this ones my personal fav
          http://deej.digitalfunk.org/djquake/djquake30.PNG
          Last edited by metchsteekle; 06-21-2008, 06:14 PM.

Comment

haha, those strips are awesome :d :d

Comment

Quake 1 is its own world. However as we learned, there are apparently several dimensions between which travel is possible.

Strogg exist in the same dimension as humans, just in some other solar system. They use artificial black holes or wormholes or something to travel and conquer all over this dimension.

Shub, Chthon and their minions exist in completely different dimensions, like parallel universes. And Quake, their mastermind, might exist behind all the dimensions or at least several.

The crates with the Strogg signs on them come from mankind's dimension (they are only seen in human bases) and thus from the same dimension as the Stroggs. The same crates are seen in Quake 2, on Stroggos, although the Stroggs seem to prefer different crates normally. Perhaps they trade with some human smugglers, or the crates are from conquered human bases/ships etc, there can be all kinds of explanations for this.

So those crates are a bit mysterious, but they don't originate from the Quake dimension(s). The Quake minions originally didn't use crates.

The Strogg slipgates might be modelled after the ones seen in the Quake dimension, but in Quake 2 they use their own distinctive teleporter technology, which can apparently only traverse short distances (otherwise they could just have teleported troops to Earth.)

Quake's slipgates are clearly magical, apart from the few human-constructed ones which sadly ;-) invited Quake's troops to Earth or its vicinity.

It's possible that the Strogg might have had a similar accident at some point, which would make the confusion complete. Humans could have found Strogg crates in the Quake dimension. It looks as if Stroggs had teleporter tech before mankind, perhaps long before. They are probably older as a species.

The military bases we see in Quake 1 might even BE abandoned Strogg bases from long ago, which would explain the crates and symbols. Perhaps those scientists didn't construct the slipgate at all, they just inherited it from the Strogg (who abandoned the stuff long ago) and set up a top-secret military lab around it. Like Area51. Like German rocket parts or uranium that was very quickly grabbed by the victorious armies.

now that would be downright Star Trekky :-P
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

yeah, that explenation makes sense, however both strogg and shub's invasion took place on earth, and propably in a short time span, so they are making some paradox here.

but i love parallel dimensions explenation. maybe strogg war takes place in alternate human universe, and Quake takes place in another, but there's actually way to travel between them - crates. Sounds very cool

Comment

in quake on e1m2 i think there are some skullwing crates and thats not a base map

Comment

but they are right next to slipgate, so propably there are some kind of supplies brought by humans through it into shub's dimension. there's even shotgun ammo behind them

Comment

I think that's the standard explanation for the crates in e1m2. They're also in e2m2 and e3m2. The grunts didn't make it too far :-)
                      Scout's Journey
                      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

...ok i see that too now

but did you ever notice that the ogre's clothing dress thing has the Q on it

Comment

somehow this shape is connected to slipgates. everytime you push the button with Q, some kind of portal activates. In Quake Wars slipgate, through which the army of strogg comes to invade the planet, has the shape of that Q too. Quad Damage, with shape of the Q, multiplies given damage, like you were four persons in one. Connected power of personalities from four alternate universes? Looks like it's some kind of rune with power connected to travel around dimensions. Maybe ogre's, aware of it's power, are paying trubute to it by putting this insignia on their clothes?

Comment

i also herd that the q was named the ring of regeneration somewhere

Comment

Let me give you a brief summary of the Quake Timeline as it was written by scholars and scribes back in the day.

Sept 1996 - Quake was Released to the masses.

Sept 1996 - Enter Disco Rockstar. People take notice.

Sometime in 1997 - CTF mod released.

Sometime in 1997 - Disco Rockstar Retires as the best DM player and starts playing CTF only.

Sometime in 1997 - Some dude wins a ferrari for being the best DMer. Too bad i wasnt still around.

Sometime in 1999 - I retire from CTF as best CTFer EVer.

Sometime in 2001 - I rediscover quake and CA, Enter Disco Rockstar again.

Lots of beer consumed during this time gap.

Sometime in 2009 - Disco Rockstar will retire from CA as the best CA player of all time.

That about sums it up. If anyone disputes this then i suggest they take it up with the scholars and scribes.

Comment

Working...
                              X