No announcement yet.

General attitude on CAx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It feels like I'm still missing the point of your thread Mindzx, is it just so you can show your impervious spelling abilities and spread more mario fucking princess peach pics? Honestly, why did you just ask a question thats everyone already knows the answer to?

Only Frenzy thinks the Quake 1 experience hasn't diminished, and thats great for him, but I remember what Quake was back in 1996-2000 and it was a lot better then where its a now, Rampage said it before, everything diminishes over time.

The whole last paragraph just further strengthens the claim that Quake 1 has diminished, 87.50% of the people who voted have agreed, not only that, but in almost every single thread that has been made asking this very same question since quakeone.com has been online has been an obvious vote of "YES QUAKE IS PRETTY MUCH FUCKED"

We don't need anymore votes, or polls to tell us the sky is blue.
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
      The whole last paragraph just further strengthens the claim that Quake 1 has diminished, 87.50% of the people who voted have agreed, not only that, but in almost every single thread that has been made asking this very same question since quakeone.com has been online has been an obvious vote of "YES QUAKE IS PRETTY MUCH FUCKED"

We don't need anymore votes, or polls to tell us the sky is blue.
      This site came out in March 2006 and by summer there were so many new people that half the time if I played somewhere like Shmack I didn't recognize anyone's name because they were all new.

In 2006, even the most negative Quake players were pretty optimistic about Quake. I can remember the amazement a lot of players had to see Bomber packed with 16 players at 1 am and asking us "Are you guys bots?"

2 years ago, Quake was 10 years old. Now Quake is 12 years old.

What's the difference between a 10-year old game and a 12-year old game? Can't be much.

The reason these threads come up a lot is because people don't feel it has to be the way things are now.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Quake = sex.
        uakene.com

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
          This site came out in March 2006 and by summer there were so many new people that half the time if I played somewhere like Shmack I didn't recognize anyone's name because they were all new.

In 2006, even the most negative Quake players were pretty optimistic about Quake. I can remember the amazement a lot of players had to see Bomber packed with 16 players at 1 am and asking us "Are you guys bots?"

2 years ago, Quake was 10 years old. Now Quake is 12 years old.

What's the difference between a 10-year old game and a 12-year old game? Can't be much.

The reason these threads come up a lot is because people don't feel it has to be the way things are now.
          There is certainly a difference in a 2 year period. Mainly in CAX, it's the same crowd playing over the last 6-7 years, with a few new faces here and there.

People's lives and experiences change, people move on, people leave the old behind, people find new hobbies, people find new games. To speculate that nothing will change in 2 years based merely on your own perception of 'new players were in shmack daily' does not provide enough evidence.

Your last sentence is misleading, and appears to be implicating that this thread is quoted for truth, and the current 'Quaker attitude' is the driving factor behind the sudden absence in Quake players. Truthfully, this diminishing trend has been an ascending factor in the CAx scene for a long time, what are the reasons? As I had mentioned previously, there are dozens of factors attributing to the demise of Quake.

To elaborate on internal as opposed to the external reasons I've provided thus far: competition, repetitive player base, marketing, championing causes, stagnant skill, repetitive map play, CHEATING, and I'm sure a hundred more reasons you can provide off the top of your head.
          Last edited by Rampage; 07-17-2008, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I think it is just the way you guys are looking at it.
            It is a 12 year old game and you all seem to be caught up in the past and want tourneys, brackets, 1 on 1s, organization, etc...

It is just not going to happen. There is a reason we (we being the quake community and Disco) still play this game. It is because we are all lazy anti-conformist. We are to lazy to get into other games or we dont want to conform with the newer generation of games.

So you want all these lazy anti conformist to make quake organized again? Not going to happen. It is against our personality disorders.

Also i would like to say that I (I as in Disco), still have a great time playing quake. I just play for fun. It is a past time for me and it just passes time for me.

Some days i get on and feel like camping and this makes me happy.
            Some days i get on and play "Normal" and this makes me happy.
            Some days i turn up the skill level and beat pretty much everyone, and this makes me happy.

Pretty much everything i do in quake makes me happy in some way or another else i wouldnt play it. There is a reason it has been installed for 12 years. It is mindless fun.

Thanks for listening to me (disco).
            Thanks for the shoutout mindfieldedX.

Peaceout.

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Rockstar View Post
              I think it is just the way you guys are looking at it.
              It is a 12 year old game and you all seem to be caught up in the past and want tourneys, brackets, 1 on 1s, organization, etc...

It is just not going to happen. There is a reason we (we being the quake community and Disco) still play this game. It is because we are all lazy anti-conformist. We are to lazy to get into other games or we dont want to conform with the newer generation of games.

So you want all these lazy anti conformist to make quake organized again? Not going to happen. It is against our personality disorders.

Also i would like to say that I (I as in Disco), still have a great time playing quake. I just play for fun. It is a past time for me and it just passes time for me.

Some days i get on and feel like camping and this makes me happy.
              Some days i get on and play "Normal" and this makes me happy.
              Some days i turn up the skill level and beat pretty much everyone, and this makes me happy.

Pretty much everything i do in quake makes me happy in some way or another else i wouldnt play it. There is a reason it has been installed for 12 years. It is mindless fun.

Thanks for listening to me (disco).
              Thanks for the shoutout mindfieldedX.

Peaceout.
              Speak for yourself, I play GTA IV, Mass Effect, Fable, Half Life2, and like a shit load of other games, not just Quake.

I'm not "stuck" in the old I just like playing Quake more then other games, its the simple-factor for me, I hate loading times and on all my newer games I have to wait 30+ seconds just to get into a game. In Quake its double-click, type in my fav server (aliased of course) and im in game within 10 seconds from loading to playing.

Quake's cool, its just really old.
              QuakeOne.com
              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
              Great Quake engine

Comment

Perhaps to put a slightly more constructive slant on this thread (I'm sure Mindz would approve) it might be helpful to hear in order of preference what would people's suggestions be to improve Quake? e.g. What would be the top 3 things you would change?
                Mr.Burns
                "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
                  Perhaps to put a slightly more constructive slant on this thread (I'm sure Mindz would approve) it might be helpful to hear in order of preference what would people's suggestions be to improve Quake? e.g. What would be the top 3 things you would change?
                  1. Rid Quake of common cancers who spread hate and immaturity.
                  2. Force a map rotation on CA/CTF servers alike that the general pop is happy with, and don't let it go back to stagnant maps without re-rotating a 5 map cycle.
                  3. I can't see anything wrong with the gameplay, so I can only stress how big of a problem the first 2 are right now.

Comment

Point 2 is server configurable already, with CA being the easiest to set.
                    I think 12 maps should be the minimum.

The way to make things happen might be to have a month long competition. Where-as the server tracks players stats and then at the end of the month the player with the most damage given vs damage taken is determined the winner of some mystery prize For anyone trying to cheat, a month long ritual of cheating daily might prove too boring for the average nerd, and raise awareness easier.

Teams could group there stats for an overall average and split the winnings.
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

The old man speaks wisely.
                      uakene.com

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                        cheat
                        Yea, I can cheat right now if I wanted. I have an aimbot/wall hacks(almost eliminated from all servers) and spikey m models etc etc etc... I choose not to use them. But if I wanted to, I could still easily cheat..

I don't see real competitions being taken seriously in quake yet, theres still to much "honor system" going around. Some people are honest and want to offer a player vs player skill based game, others want the edge without trying. Unfortunately the latter type of player usually uses some type of cheat.
                        QuakeOne.com
                        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                        Great Quake engine

Comment

I'm thinking this thread should of been labeled "Has your experience on speaknow diminished"
                          uakene.com

Comment

Originally posted by Frenzy View Post
                            I'm thinking this thread should of been labeled "Has your experience on speaknow diminished"

Hahahaha!
                            QuakeOne.com
                            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                            Great Quake engine

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage
                              1. Rid Quake of common cancers who spread hate and immaturity.
                              We've mentioned this in another thread, but it seems appropriate at this point sooo Looks across at R00k/Baker/Lord Havoc would any engine coders reading this consider adding some sort of screening within your client for spam messages?

A breif scan over some of the threads suggests this is a recurring problem, and although a server solution is ideal server admins are not always there to 'quieten' a disruptive player down server side, so the addition of a cl_DoNotDisturb PlayerNo/IP 1 [Permanent] or something similar client side would seem to be a 2nd best solution. If this was coupled with a bounce message sent back only to the offending player along the lines of "[playername] has muted you and can not be disturbed" it might allow the players to enjoy their game in peace (regardless of server settings/availability of admins) and effectively cancel out one of the effects ofthe 'cancer' as Rampage put it.

Wadda ya say oh mighty coders ?
                              Last edited by Mr.Burns; 07-23-2008, 03:17 AM.
                              Mr.Burns
                              "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
                              WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
                              Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Just be happy quake doesnt have microphones where everyone playing the damn game is talking all at once like on CS:s!!!
                                www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Working...
                                X