General attitude on CAx

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by R00k View Post
    Just be happy quake doesnt have microphones where everyone playing the damn game is talking all at once like on CS:s!!!
    If that were the case I'd sooner set fire to my headphones whilst still wearing them or delete Quake now.
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 07-23-2008, 03:26 AM.
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
      We've mentioned this in another thread, but it seems appropriate at this point sooo Looks across at R00k/Baker/Lord Havoc would any engine coders reading this consider adding some sort of screening within your client for spam messages?

A breif scan over some of the threads suggests this is a recurring problem, and although a server solution is ideal server admins are not always there to 'quieten' a disruptive player down server side, so the addition of a cl_DoNotDisturb PlayerNo/IP 1 [Permanent] or something similar client side would seem to be a 2nd best solution. If this was coupled with a bounce message sent back only to the offending player along the lines of "[playername] has muted you and can not be disturbed" it might allow the players to enjoy their game in peace (regardless of server settings/availability of admins) and effectively cancel out one of the effects ofthe 'cancer' as Rampage put it.

Wadda ya say oh mighty coders ?
      That's a great idea.

Phenom mentioned in another thread that we should be able to selectively mute players. I think this would be extremely effective, many people idle now on the servers and talk trash. If mute was available, I know I would certainly use it. The people who keep talking trash, idling, and not playing, are repeat offenders who do this on a daily basis. If we can limit player response to them with selective mute they will be forced to either play, or leave; in effect we wouldn't have to go through the hassle of banning them and getting complaints afterwards.

In conclusion, ADD MUTE TO QUAKE! this will solve a major spam/talking trash problem. Those who talk trash can continue doing it with each other and the rest of us can play peacefully.

Comment

In Qrack, using cl_mute 1 will silence the "talk.wav" beep sound for incomming MM1 messages, while still allowing for "talk2.wav" team messages to be heard. In CAx, admins can mute players who are deemed offensive. We talked about this before, and I considered it but the idea that /ignore to completely block messages from one player would seem obscure; for instance, "Ya and then Rampage said that he hates quake now cause everyone says "gay" as he just came out of the closet...". If you had "/ignored" that player you wouldn't have heard the lies spoken about you now could ya? If someone openly said an offensive lie about you, and you dont reply, most people think "hmm no reply? must be true.. silence of guilt " cl_mute helps you focus on the game by not triggering an impulse to look up at top of the screen to read messages when u hear the beep. Or you can set con_textsize REALLY small so you can read the letters Though this reminds me back on CACB server they actually had a foul language filter. If you said an offensive word it would convert it like "sh*t" or "f**k" etc, and if you said too many cuss words it would kick you from the server
        Last edited by R00k; 07-25-2008, 09:11 AM.
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

http://deej.digitalfunk.org/djquake/djquake10.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by R00k
            someone openly said an offensive lie about you, and you dont reply, most people think "hmm no reply? must be true.. silence of guilt "
            That's a risk I suspect many are happy to take.

So until such time as a "Do not disturb me" function comes along, would some sort of bind along the lines of
            Code:
            Bind x cl_mute 1; con_notifylines 0
            allow you to play in peace? This would effectively silence everybody in the game as far as your client in concerned which isn't ideal but may help on some servers.
            Mr.Burns
            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

In Qrack, using cl_mute 1 will silence the "talk.wav" beep sound for incomming MM1 messages, while still allowing for "talk2.wav" team messages to be heard. In CAx, admins can mute players who are deemed offensive. We talked about this before, and I considered it but the idea that /ignore to completely block messages from one player would seem obscure; for instance, "Ya and then Rampage said that he hates quake now cause everyone says "gay" as he just came out of the closet...". If you had "/ignored" that player you wouldn't have heard the lies spoken about you now could ya? If someone openly said an offensive lie about you, and you dont reply, most people think "hmm no reply? must be true.. silence of guilt " cl_mute helps you focus on the game by not triggering an impulse to look up at top of the screen to read messages when u hear the beep. Or you can set con_textsize REALLY small so you can read the letters Though this reminds me back on CACB server they actually had a foul language filter. If you said an offensive word it would convert it like "sh*t" or "f**k" etc, and if you said too many cuss words it would kick you from the server
              I agree,with Rampage, Quake 1 needs more then just cl_mute and sleezy admin's hawking players.

If someone is spreading lies about you on Quake 1 and you worry about it then you truely have no life and if its to that point for you, you seriously need help. (Not you R00k but you mr.general)
              QuakeOne.com
              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
              Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
              Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I have a feeling the views expressed by Rampage/Phenom could be the concensus of opinion for many players if they are asked. Who would want to join a server and have to argue/defend themselves with an idiot, they want to either play or spectate on a worthwhile game. I can't help but feel that giving the player a little more control over their own playing environment such as having the ability to mute just the offending player from your own client would be a win/win feature for that client. Just my humble opinion
                Mr.Burns

Comment

yes good idea.

I would also like to see another feature added.

a Anti-Ban Block feature.

When some admin is trying to kick/ban you it blocks the attempt and returns a message to the admin, "The following player can not be kicked, banned, or abused, he has AntiBan installed, Thank you have a nice day."

please look into this.
                  thanks.
                  theDiscoInc.

Comment

You are providing reasoning for why I wouldn't want to mute someone? I'm certain I've already provided my reasons for WHY I would definitely 100% mute trash. I could care less what is being said about me, quality of gaming is more important to me as I've mentioned numerous times, and spam/trash filters would definitely induce playing more.

It's not about whether people are swearing, or the beep of the msgs. Its spam text at the top, it takes away team binds/messages and instead of the game focusing around Quake and everything Quake you have 15 year old acne prone kids (or immature drunk idiots who do nothing but idle on the server) talking trash to eachother instead of playing.

Last night 6 guys were idling and taking up server space in a full server. Additionally, two of them sat there continuously bashing others. This "administrators can take care of it" solution is extremely ineffective and has done little to nothing but diminish my playing experience. If selective mute is added, I am able to read messages from people who are actually read-worthy.
                    Last edited by Rampage; 07-25-2008, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Rockstar View Post
                      yes good idea.

When some admin is trying to kick/ban you it blocks the attempt and returns a message to the admin, "The following player can not be kicked, banned, or abused, he has AntiBan installed, Thank you have a nice day."

please look into this.
                      thanks.
                      theDiscoInc.
                      You've already mentioned you purposely screw over games, when you feel like camping, you camp, when you feel like killing you kill. That may be your play style and I cannot take that away from you, thats why adding round time to CAX would definitely hurt your camping-prone style. If you've been banned, I would definitely attribute it to you purposely sitting in one spot the entire round (lifts, SNG stairs) and spamming grenades and rockets until you're out of ammo. What bothers me is that you do this on purpose nonetheless and thus contribute to the demise of CAx.
                      Last edited by Rampage; 07-25-2008, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
                        That's a risk I suspect many are happy to take.

So until such time as a "Do not disturb me" function comes along, would some sort of bind along the lines of
                        Code:
                        Bind x cl_mute 1; con_notifylines 0
                        allow you to play in peace? This would effectively silence everybody in the game as far as your client in concerned which isn't ideal but may help on some servers.
                        That's ineffective, I would be muting people who I'd like to hear from, and usually talk about the experience or the game as it's happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Rockstar View Post
                          yes good idea.

please look into this.
                          thanks.
                          theDiscoInc.
                          lol, we used to actually use this it's real, it exists, but that was back in the day. admins couldn't kick us/ban us, and it created quite a few problems
                          uakene.com

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage View Post
                            That's ineffective, I would be muting people who I'd like to hear from, and usually talk about the experience or the game as it's happening.
                            Perhaps I didn't explain this clearly and simply enough in my original post, the temporary solution (my suggested bind) is by no means ideal and a player/ip specific mute function would be preferable as and when Baker/R00k can be persuaded to add it given their busy schedules. As we don't seem to have that feature at the moment, and please correct me if I am wrong, perhaps in the mean time if some of us may wish to have a simple bind to shut off the chatter rather than endure the "Shmack/CA experience" referred to in previous posts. It is these ppl I was trying to help. If anyone has a better solution available at the moment please feel free to post it as I'd be most appreciative.
                            Last edited by Mr.Burns; 07-25-2008, 04:44 PM.
                            Mr.Burns

Comment

haha it took me awhile to abide by those rules. I remember that shit
                              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

It's annoying to read childish behaviour , admin-mute has been nerf'd for me as Phenom put it. Why the community was given the green light for being disruptive by nerfing admin who knows.Anyone still playing Q1 should be here for pleasure and enjoyment of the game.

I'm a AM / Early Evening Quaker at best now days, I have seen Dreadful like a handful of times. Yellow5 is busy sticking needles in peoples bodies all day long and doesnt play until evening

Rook hasnt been on MSN lately !

OMG IT SAYS HUMPS DEAD PRINCESSES
                                Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 07-26-2008, 10:09 AM.
                                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                                X