Modifying Q3A

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifying Q3A

I don't know if this will be considered a "HURR" post or not, but i'll have to ask it anyways.

I'm trying to get the weapons in Q3A to behave a specific way when a dead player drops them. Instead falling down at a perfect horizontal angle while rotating I need them to behave a bit more like a Gib would. (i.e, bounce around semi-random and land without rotation)

Am I asking the impossible? If not, where would be a decent place to go learn how to work this out?.

thanks for listening
    -Amon

Also, let me give you a taste of what I'm working on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zz3JNEoX5P4

just a proof-of-concept right now.

Comment

Some people around here (mentioning no names, Baker...) will likely tell you to fuck off.

It's been a while since I looked at the Q3 source, but from what I remember, I don't think it's possible to make items both bounce and be collectable at the same time. As for making an item not spin, that's easier. At least if it's defined in the code and not the model (like Quake is)...
      16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
      16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Originally posted by Lardarse View Post
        Some people around here (mentioning no names, Baker...) will likely tell you to fuck off.
        since when did i crap on their birthday cake?

Comment

I could be wrong but I get the feeling that Lard was probably refering to the fact that you're asking a Quake 3 development related question on a primarily NetQuake 1 gamers board which has on ocassions resulted in ppl getting politely referred to a more suitable source of information .

However seeing as I liked the video..
          There was a Quake 1 example of something similar, and therefore I don't know if it will help, but Mr. Wifi did manage to get collectable things to bounce in RuneQuakePlus. If you picked up the 10 ton man rune you could make pretty much anything bounce - ammo packs, health, etc. He did release the source over on RuneQuake.com and maybe this could be modified to do what you want?

Hope this helps

Monty
          Last edited by Mr.Burns; 07-17-2008, 09:19 AM.
          Mr.Burns
          "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
          WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
          Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

also inside3d.com has people that can help, they do all the quakes, but most just happens to be quake1 related

Comment

Hmm, I'm not sure about the code in Q3 but, i'd assume it would spawn an entity, in the player dead function look for something in the spawn function of that entity for a movetype. For quakeC I use MOVETYPE_TOSS, which usually permits 1 bounce. Otherwise MOVETYPE_BOUNCE really makes it awkward when dropped from a great height. Also to adjust the angle increase the velocity in the direction you want it to go. or instead of fall you could make them stay in mid air with a MOVETYPE_NONE
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by Lardarse View Post
                What I did in that one thread was very wrong.

It was late Friday night and I had had 8 beers +/- going out to eat and seeing a movie and the thread annoyed the piss out of me on several levels (gee, wrong Quake; gee, can't read the fricking forum title, shitty job of Googling etc; wasting 24 hours or so waiting for replies somewhere where nobody knows instead of going somewhere that makes sense --- ARRRRRRRGGGHH!).

I'm not perfect, but that reminded me that most of the 4/5 worst posts I've done over time (whether here or elsewhere in the past) were when I had beer and the post sounded funny in my head but was rude as hell.

Life doesn't allow do-overs; you just make sure to do better next time.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                  What I did in that one thread was very wrong.

It was late Friday night and I had had 8 beers +/- going out to eat and seeing a movie and the thread annoyed the piss out of me on several levels (gee, wrong Quake; gee, can't read the fricking forum title, shitty job of Googling etc; wasting 24 hours or so waiting for replies somewhere where nobody knows instead of going somewhere that makes sense --- ARRRRRRRGGGHH!).

I'm not perfect, but that reminded me that most of the 4/5 worst posts I've done over time (whether here or elsewhere in the past) were when I had beer and the post sounded funny in my head but was rude as hell.

Life doesn't allow do-overs; you just make sure to do better next time.
                  Remember when you were so sure Skillet and I were the same person? That's #2 of your worst posts Just giving you shit
                  uakene.com

Comment

that video is so funny

Comment

Don't worry Baker. I've said some pretty crappy things that I would give anything to take back, and I wasn't even drinking.

Anyways thanks for all the input! Hopefully It'll work out.

Either way i'll be shooting a full short revolving around a failed rocket-jump soon. I have some friends who are voice-actors and now all I need are a few stooges to boot up q3a, bob their heads around a little and then we can call it a day!

More to come soon!

(p.s: thanks for humoring my non-quake1 content)

Comment

lol

I heard R.Kelly and quickly applied alt+f4
                        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I don't blame you, Mind.

But the choice of music is important for the joke to work properly. So give it another shot if you can

Comment

back to subject how's your project??
                            www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Got a general storyboard set up. (stick figures on a sheet of crappy yellow lined paper) and I'm doing most of the filming and voice-recording tomorrow. I'm just about to go try a few sexy establishing shots and camera-concepts right now!

Should be fun when it's done!

Comment

Working...
                              X