For all of you modders out there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For all of you modders out there.

Speedmodding is going to be held soon. This is planned to be a monthly event. Most likely the 1st of every month.

watch http://speedqc.errorabove.com for more news. (to be up soon)
    Inside3D - Wocka-Wocka-Wocka

I'm getting a NEW SITE UP SOON! error message when I click that link.
    "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

works fine for me

Comment

For those of you that don't know, speed modding is where you write a mod for Quake in just 24-48 hours (depending on how generous the organiser is). There is usually a theme, although there doesn't have to be. You are given a special map, with entities that Quake doesn't know what to do with, and then it's your job to do something with them.

It's also bloody good fun...

LA
        16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
        16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

I'm not 100% sure of what a "mod" is. Could you explain more?

For example, is a mod like a total conversion? Or is a mod like Artifact Quake by Singe Bousman where it is only a QuakeC modification? Is Lunaran's lunarsp1 considered a mod because it has custom mega enforcers? Or do you have to make models like CheapAlert does, for example?

I have to admit I have never been quite clear on what modding is?
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

we supply you with models (if needed), maps (if needed), a theme, and a set of rules to follow. you code. tis all no real competition, but it is definately good fun. a "mod" is any modification to the code. a TC changes everything in the game. a partial conversion is a set of mods that changes a few things, but not all things, about the game (also just called a mod).
            Last edited by Error; 04-04-2006, 12:48 AM.

Comment

Sounds like something IEEE 802.11 would be perfect at.
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

My vote's on RenegadeC

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                  I'm not 100% sure of what a "mod" is. Could you explain more?

For example, is a mod like a total conversion? Or is a mod like Artifact Quake by Singe Bousman where it is only a QuakeC modification? Is Lunaran's lunarsp1 considered a mod because it has custom mega enforcers? Or do you have to make models like CheapAlert does, for example?

I have to admit I have never been quite clear on what modding is?
                  Yes, yes, maybe and no. Not everyone is as talented as I in the modeling department!!!! (ego++) and recycling old models has always been a tradition in Quake modding for nearly a decade.

anyway, http://mods.moddb.com/getting-started/

Yes. Artifact Quake (and the rest of singe's work like qtank and slide) are mods. Malice is a mod (albeit commercial). Threewave CTF and Team Fortress are mods.

oh and to clarify a bit more, no, Qrack is not a mod, only a source port (engine).

Comment

A mod is anything that you need to put -game in the command line for. Something that is different from the original QUAKE.

Comment

and I've finished three new models for the next session

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
                        A mod is anything that you need to put -game in the command line for. Something that is different from the original QUAKE.
                        laugh. partially true but not really.

Comment

I don't have the kind of time needed to do something like this.
                          "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

A mod rewrites the loaded progs.dat with its own quakec where done so. Thats my basic definition. Maps do not mod existing Quake, merely because they only amend by supplying another bsp in the folder, unless they require new monsters, but once again, that involves QuakeC which is the game code, as opposed to engine.

Speedmods are often fun as they yield more creativity it seems.
                            Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

TCs are like BloodMage
                              PCs are like Nehahra
                              Minimods are like RA

Comment

Working...
                              X