List of Features/Mods I Wish Quake Had

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List of Features/Mods I Wish Quake Had

1. Ability to have multiple maps running at the same time on a single server. But Quake uses each map as a line of demarcation.

2. Mini-Tournament Map

Bam's double DM idea where 2 games are going on at the same time on a single server using a double-map, like a double DM3 where team 1 and team 2 play while team 3 and team 4 play.

Like Zop's project to have all the maps combined into a single map (did he ever finish that????).

This is actually possible, but I bet it would be a lot of work. In particular, some way to separate the first DM3 from the second DM3 would need to be done. An example is spawn points. Then again, maybe this 2nd copy of DM3 uses "info_player_deathmatch2" spawn points instead of "info_player_deathmatch".

3. Some way for persistent state single player maps so an entire little country or kingdom or whatnot could be created in Quake where you can go from one area to the other, as distinct maps. Sort of using intermission-less map changing like what happens when you go into the teleporters on the start map and then you can go back to where you came from.

Right now, Quake is rather locked into forward-only map progress for a set of maps. E1M1 --> E1M2 --> E1M3 ... you can't go back to E1M1 and even if you could, there is no way to have it revert to how it was when you left it. You could do something hacky, like with save game files, but then coop wouldn't work right. And then that gets back to #1, this would be unworkable because Quake can't have 2 maps running at the same time, players must be on the same map.

4. Some easy system to have better weapon manage and inventory. Right now, the HUD only provides for 8 weapons. This would require engine modification to change, so I guess it could never be universal anyway.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

number four has somthing that makes me think of the client side qc commenly refferd to as CSQC , i think it had some kind of HUD control, but perhaps i3d has the solution, i think for the "can go back to previous map" is being done in a mod at qexpo, somthing i think it was "relms of quake" or so. but im not sure on much today :/

Comment

Interesting. I didn't notice that one. However, it is all a single map.

A couple of engines (DarkPlaces/aguirRe's Quake) have very large map size limits, but I can only wonder how long it would take for enormous maps to compile with the vis/light included.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I never finished the combo of the regular maps, but I combined the deathmatch maps. R00k wanted to referemce certaiun spawnpoints in a 'level', so I was thinking of adding a field to the spawnpoints, like netname, so they can be found individually in quakec. R00k also wanted them numbered within their set (of a map), but I don't know why... Then, nothing ever came of that, so I stopped bothering with it. Amusingly, I did find that my editor had a filesize limit, but it hasn't been updated since 2000.

The double dm3 map is already compiled, so you'll need to merge an .ent file for this idea. But, what about the scoreboard?

On my dual 1.8ghz, it takes 10.5 minutes to build the six dm levels combo, with final-version high settings. I believe the vis duration increases exponentially with each level added, though.

Comment

Ya originally i was thinking like info_player_"mapname"_deathmatch so u could spawn multiple people on multiple arenas

for a dual arena you'd have 2 instances like "info_player_deathmatch_arena1", and "info_player_deathmatch_arena2" ;mostly less complicated for DM or CA...
          Last edited by R00k; 09-02-2008, 02:42 PM.
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

I still shamelessly dream of full functioning Ragdoll physics.

Comment

My one I'd love would be an offishal mission pack compelation mod with a few more missions and the abilaty to use all wepons and all alternate ammo. This may end up needing sommething for shotgun shells and the new stuff relegated to a secondary fire. Would be incredable though.

Comment

voice chat support (with the ability to ignore).

Comment

Haha! you have no idea how great that would be!

Games like quake and even up to UT3 seem to not use all that much of an internet connection compared to some other things. When vergin media messes up completely I can go on UT3 and acesss some servers when not even MSN will work. I dont think Voice chat support would be such a huge strain on the servers.
                  Last edited by Kazimira; 09-05-2008, 03:20 PM. Reason: Just adding a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Amon26 View Post
                    I still shamelessly dream of full functioning Ragdoll physics.
                    I've heard in #qexpo that MauveBib is planning to release a new version of his sagdoll mod this week. I don't know much about it, and even less about the differences between ragdoll and sagdoll, but you might want to take a look...

Kazimira: Sounds like DNS issues. Most server browsers work directly with IP addresses, whereas just about everything else rely on DNS to get the IP address. Although I'm with Virgin Media, I don't know what their DNS servers are like, though, as I've been using OpenDNS for the last 2 years now, without once feeling the need to switch back...
                    16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                    16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

haHA!!!!!

http://qexpo.tastyspleen.net/booth.php?id=38

Comment

I wish Quake had easier mod implementation. like a folder inside the Quake folder that holds all your mod files such as
                        quake\addons\ctf\
                        quake\addons\ra\
                        etc

then ingame you have a menu which mod you would like to load and it would load the files for that mod. I've seen this in newer games like Half Life and its a great feature.
                        QuakeOne.com
                        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Some engines support the gamedir command.

Comment

Working...
                          X