Just returning back to quake...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just returning back to quake...

Hi, I used to play Quake years ago, back in the late nineties, as I am sure many of you have. I stopped playing around 2001 or so, and have since been playing various half-life mods, among other things. I stumbled upon this website yesterday while I was feeling all nostalgic and looking up old boards and quake sites and what not. Anyway, I don't have Quake installed on my PC anymore (still have the original disc though). I don't even know what mods people primarily play. Can someone please catch me up on the general status of this community these days? How many people play? What mods do people play? I am mainly interested in CA, but I used to play some other mods too. I understand there have been relatively many developments in the Quake scene even over the last few years, so I just want to make sure I re-install with the latest and greatest. Thanks...can't wait to play again!

in the states, crmod/ca/runequake are the more active mods/servers, and 3wave ctf has seen a resurgance in activity apparently(So I hear,I havent played any 3wave or caught games going on when I have free time)
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by zhitnik View Post
      Hi, I used to play Quake years ago, back in the late nineties, as I am sure many of you have. I stopped playing around 2001 or so, and have since been playing various half-life mods, among other things. I stumbled upon this website yesterday while I was feeling all nostalgic and looking up old boards and quake sites and what not. Anyway, I don't have Quake installed on my PC anymore (still have the original disc though). I don't even know what mods people primarily play. Can someone please catch me up on the general status of this community these days? How many people play? What mods do people play? I am mainly interested in CA, but I used to play some other mods too. I understand there have been relatively many developments in the Quake scene even over the last few years, so I just want to make sure I re-install with the latest and greatest. Thanks...can't wait to play again!
      Welcome to Quakeone.com friend!

Like Mindz said the most popular mods are ctf, ca and RuneQuake

Check out the server list Quakeone.com has setup for you here. It has a whole list of servers and even how many players are currently playing. Theres also a bunch of helpful people around the forums so don't be afraid to ask any questions, I know Quake is a bit more demanding when it comes to setting up them more newer games

Enjoy the site! and don't for get to +REP ME!
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

If you want support for enhanced graphics and custom fonts/models you should try out Qrack. I currently use it, but only use its custom fonts and HUD display capabilities, everything else looks like classic Quake.

If that doesn't interest you at all, check out the new proquake for a more classic experience.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome I am glad people still play CA. A friend of mine who got back into Quake briefly a couple years back used a client called EZquake and said it was similar to QuakeWorld (which is what I was used to using back when I played a lot of Threewave and CreeperCTF), but had some pretty slick graphical upgrades. Is that client still OK to use? Or are there certain anti-cheat type clients that people need to use? Also, what is the difference between CA-X and old CA? Man I feel like a newb now, I wish I still had my old quake folder with all the mods and updates and stuff...should've burned it to a CD and stored it away someplace safe...oh well. Looking forward to joining a game for the first time in many years! Thanks for the replies.

-Phil

Comment

Please check your private messages Phil.
            uakene.com

Comment

Working...
            X