Could you keep the ownage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could you keep the ownage?

Now days everyone has a beefed up PC by Quake standards, and the question is this,

If you went to a LAN that had pre-Y2K PC's running or connected to a Quake server with a pre-Y2K PC , could you still preform just as well on a P-III as example,or equivilant as you do on todays hardware?

This is a question of technology, and has it become a crutch in oldschool gaming today.

Another possible technological crutch is the optical mouse, back in the day these was unheard of and didnt exist yet, but now they make FirstPS gaming 10x easier to be accurate while aiming.Anyone still cleaning the mouse wheels?

How about Quakers with uber-connections/videocards that allow high-end FramesPS and pushes a players ping into the sub 20's onward to 0 sometimes (Whysee haha), could todays leet pingers cope with a 50-90 ping,which would be average for basic broadband and video card technology back around Y2K,and each year you go back technology gets even worse,so I'm ignoring 1996-1998 in the discussions,but if relevant please mention.

/discuss
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 09-24-2008, 06:55 AM.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

s/just as well/just as badly

As long as I have mouselook, sensitivity 5 ish, redefnable keys, 30+ fps, and a nouse with a mousewheel, I can play as well as I do on this thing...
    16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
    16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

i'm still using the same mouse that i started playing quake on..

it is very similar to the one below but even an older model.. (ps2)

my aim is kinda vague but i just love it for it has no mouse-wheel, which lets me push the middle button that much easier than any new mouse that has a mouse-wheel there..

i'm sure i could still play pretty well on 320x200 winquake with 60 fps and ping 200 as i did for years.. but i'm glad those days are over (not to mention the phone bills... )

Comment

For me it's the opposite. The newer, more powerful hardware has actually seen a decline in my 'ability', so much so that now even Peg can beat me

Although in fairness this could also be down to a crappy config, beer, a growing apathy on my part with highly competitive play, beer, old age, a growing interest in mapping or even beer

I agree with Peg's point regarding the mouse though. When I switched from the same type of mouse the Peg uses to what was at the time a reasonably expensive optical mouse the difference was quite noticable. I felt there was a perceivable slow down in responsiveness and for me at least it was something of a backward step.

Kind regards

Monty
        Last edited by Mr.Burns; 09-25-2008, 04:21 AM.
        Mr.Burns
        "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
        WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
        Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

I think that I would still preform the same now on a pre-Y2K PC then on systems of today because im still playing at the same 72fps.
          Even my pentium1 200mhz with 24mb voodoo2 SI would easy get 72fps then ;-)

This is my gamegear :

For gamecontrols only my mouses changed over the years.
          My servers for the gamers:
          bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
          port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
          Offline ATM
          fvf.servequake.com
          flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
          Offline ATM
          newdm.servequake.com
          port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
          sigpic

Comment

Let us not forget that when Polarite was created by Dr.Noonien Soong he had the forsitght to add a Quake port and this positronic hookup means the Pol doesn't actually need a PC.
            Mr.Burns
            "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

haha, thats awesome. tng-ftw

anyways, I am so used to 200 or more fps that I would have issues playing with 72 or lower fps. I didnt own anything old and leet until I picked up a voodoo 5500, which was nice at one time i suppose. I wasnt all that great with a ball mouse,I never seen the gain in buying a high end mouse and still dont, ever since I found the cheap ass walmart 10dollar logitech or whatever brand optical, and adjust sens accordingly.

Polarite, that microsoft controller , how long have you used it? Nearly every type of controller I have purchased for PC doesnt stand up to time,like say a PSX/PS2 controller would, constant cost of a controller is bad

Quaking with a high ping, with the handful of times gaming over-sea's has been fun and managable, but nothing consistant for accuracy,so I couldnt function well as hpb unless it was vs hpb
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                haha, thats awesome. tng-ftw

...Quaking with a high ping, with the handful of times gaming over-sea's has been fun and managable, but nothing consistant for accuracy,so I couldnt function well as hpb unless it was vs hpb
                if you pick your times carefully (e.g. when Peg, Pol, Sir Henry, Buurvrouw, myself and a couple of others playing) you often find that whenever a HPB joins the server if they're obviously at a major disadvantage and even *I* am fragging them, we often ping up to match the ping. Many of us take the view that there's no fun repeatedly blasting someone to bits unless it's a reasonably fair playing field. Not every european player does this but enough to attract plenty of overseas visitors

But please remember to play nice or we'll have to take Polarite's lead off and may god have mercy on your soul

Kind regards

Monty
                Last edited by Mr.Burns; 09-25-2008, 09:07 AM.
                Mr.Burns

Comment

The only difference would be I wouldn't be spamming LOCS.

I didn't upgrade my PC for Quake so I'm definitly not PC dependant. If anything upgrading my PC with a LCD screen has hurt my aiming ad I had to get use to the 5ms lag and the not barely unoticable ghosting or (smearing). also I have to agree with =Peg= on that mouse of his, I remember the good ole days of the three-button-mouse no bullshit. 3 buttons were nice, the mouse wheel adds an extra function which just ads onto your response time which quake is 99%mental 1% physical so giving your mind less to do usually helps you think quicker with whats in front of you (For me anyways).

Though I couldn't go back to using a ball mouse and 400+ ping with no sound at 12fps (First PC was an Intel P133 with 2mb video card) if that is what you mean by pre-Y2K but once I upgraded my PC to something that was better then a slide show quake seemed to play pretty consistent no matter which client I used, after that it was more of preference in how Quake looks then skill (skill comes in time and learning).

I remember in the day when quake.ihoc.net was popular and I was pretty much untouchable there and if I remember right I would win 80% of every game I played usually by a wide margin, which is why I started planing at Clanberries since the players there were godly compared to the skill I was use to at IHOC hook&rune server.
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                  Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

pre y2k can refer to a 1999 Pentium 3 866mhz (I gave this machine to my mother in law,what a mistake...)

Comment

I actually still have the pc I played on 10 years ago, and it's still setup, and I use it all the time, only a better ping (100 instead of 350)

simply my answer to the opening question, the rest is interesting as well. polarite, im working on hooking up the xbox controller now Just need to get a non-wireless controller, the rest is setup (thanks peg)
                      uakene.com

Comment

Yes I would do just fine I believe. I don't need real time lighting and extreme resolution textures, I can load up good old Winquake and still kick the same amount of ass that I do.
                        e|------------------------0---------------
                        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                        A|---------------0------------------------
                        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post

Polarite, that microsoft controller , how long have you used it? Nearly every type of controller I have purchased for PC doesnt stand up to time,like say a PSX/PS2 controller would, constant cost of a controller is bad

I think i have that gamepad 10-11years...
                          My servers for the gamers:
                          bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
                          port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
                          Offline ATM
                          fvf.servequake.com
                          flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
                          Offline ATM
                          newdm.servequake.com
                          port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
                          sigpic

Comment

This thread reminds me of when it used to take 45 - 60 seconds for quake to load on my 200mhz pentium. And when playing on mplayer before crmod and having to pause the game soon as the first person got in.

The good 'ol days.

Comment

Pwn this

8=================================D~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~

Comment

Working...
                              X