Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake and Wireless networks

Hi all,

I just got internet set up in my apartment, but I'm having trouble with playing Quake. Whenever I connect to a server, it seems like the internet for the whole apartment goes haywire. Tracerts that are normally fine suddenly start timing out at the second hop or have ping > 2k and I am constantly lagged at a server before disconnecting.

Are there certain settings I need to change to be able to play Quake on a wireless network? I know it's not optimal for online gaming, but this is the way it has to be given the layout of my place...

Thanks,
    Dingass

There aren't any settings you need to change.

I played for 30 minutes online with wireless testing out the ProQuake for the Mac and probably a total of 3 hours playing coop on my LAN and it didn't even occur to me it was wireless.

Most than likely it is one or more of the following:

1. Someone else using the internet the same time as you.
    2. Windows Update or another application doing background updates eating up your bandwidth
    3. Being too far away from the wireless router or another wireless router in the area using the same settings as yours.

Check out #6 on this list as a prime suspect; changing the wireless channel can make all the difference in the world.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/more...elesstips.mspx
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply. I probably didn't do a good job describing my symptoms.

No one else was home when I was having these problems. Also, when I am not connected in quake, a ping and tracert in DOS is fine (to yahoo.com or phi1.suroot.com, for example). However, once I am connected in Quake to any server and try the same thing, these all go to shit. The same can be said with any net activity.

Router is 20 feet away through two walls. Bandwidth, otherwise, seems fine (no problems with streaming media). Changed wireless channels and I'm still having issues.

I was able to play on Saturday with (almost) no problems, which is really vexing. Tried phi1 when I got home from the bars early Sunday morning and the connection was a smooth 40-50 ping. And, now it doesn't work. Argh!

Comment

perhaps some one is stealing Ur internetz from a surrounding apartment ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dingass View Post
          I was able to play on Saturday with (almost) no problems, which is really vexing. Tried phi1 when I got home from the bars early Sunday morning and the connection was a smooth 40-50 ping. And, now it doesn't work. Argh!
          It is vexxing.

Wireless when it works great is the most wonderful thing in the world.

And when it doesn't, can be infuriating.

Quake just sends data over the network and receives it. It uses UDP ... raw data packets. There aren't any Quake settings that can help with the problem you have, in fact Quake has almost no network connection settings in the code and what it does have is certainly not anything helpful ( dialup modems settings like the serial port to use and baud rate).

About 2 years ago, after having incredible wireless for maybe 2 years in a row, one day my download rate went to a terrible number. It *never* went back and I tried everything. Then one day, I fiddled with the channels (like I hadn't tried that before) and got great speed until a year later when I couldn't get great speed again no matter what, not even sitting a laptop right next to it.

You might consider going to Wal-Mart and buy a 50 foot ethernet cable or, a dedicated computer store might even have 100 foot ones (Radio Shack? Circuit City?).

Wireless is one of those things ...

Sorry you have the problem, I've been there.

/Note: Solecord once claimed to have solved some problem like this by running his Linksys CD which fixed everything for him.

Thread: http://www.quakeone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2489

Originally posted by Solecord View Post
          I have a problem with my Linsys wireless network equipment and drivers. Here's the issue:

I have a Linksys Wireless G Broadband router - Model WRT54G - and a wireless PC adaptor - model WMP54G. The drivers that come with the adaptor include this little software program called the Linksys Wireless Network Monitor. It's basically just like the Windows Wireless Monitor. If I install the driver for the adaptor but not the Linksys Monitor I get a hiccup in my connection while I play Quake online. Generally about every 1.5-2 minutes the connection will "drop" or "lag" and then return to normal. In the game I'll get the little phone connection icon and it will appear for about 20 seconds or so. Then it'll go away and I can play again for another couple of minutes before it drops again.

If I install the Linksys Monitor, this problem does not occur. My issue is I'd rather not have that stupid monitor program but right now having it installed is the only way I can play Quake.

Anyone familiar with Linksys products experience this or know how to resolve it?
          Last edited by Baker; 10-27-2008, 08:27 PM.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

for the problem that sole described:

if you are NOT using the "linksys monitor", stop the Wireless Zero Configuration Service after your connection is established.

without the linksys monitor, windows uses the WZC service to make the wireless connection.. and the default behavior of this service is to keep looking for new/better access points (for it assumes you maybe on the move)
            as a result it re-establishes your connection every minute or so.. but if your not actually moving around, there is no need to do this.. so once the connection is established you can safely stop the WZC service and your connection won't have these hickups..

for Vista there is this tool that more or less does the same thing..

Comment

Latest development in internet saga:

Got a 50ft ethernet cable and am now connected through that. Still experience the same problem...

*edit

It's my computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111111
              My laptop connects fine, even through wireless. Only my desktop has problems with a connection in Quake. What is going on?
              Last edited by Dingass; 10-31-2008, 08:50 PM.

Comment

I know you already got the 50ft ethernet cable, but another option for networking your home is ethernet over power, aka, powerline. http://www.netgear.com/Products/Powe...etworking.aspx

I'm currently using it for my 360 and wii and have had no problems with it.

Comment

Working...
                X