Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best current QuakeC compiler.

Hi All,

What's the best QuakeC compiler? I thought it was FrikQCC from reading various forums and posts. People said "most people use it" and so on.

Today I took some time to go through the code and clean it up while learning more about the structure and fixing C bugs.

Further reading today suggested that time was a waste because most people now use Proqcc or fteqcc. A couple people said they had corrupted progs.dat from FrikQCC.

So for you experienced modders out there, what do you use? I'm not very interested in the smallest progs.dat possible (unless it's that helpful for new systems). New C like constructs are nice but not necessary. Documentation on the compiler would be great. I know about the QuakeC manual from cdrom.com but I haven't had time to read it yet.

FTEqcc.

The various forum posts you're reading are probably dated somewhere between 2000 and 2003.

Comment

Originally posted by CheapAlert
      FTEqcc.

The various forum posts you're reading are probably dated somewhere between 2000 and 2003.
      Thanks CheapAlert. That's a bummer. I had FrikQCC compiling without warnings with these flags for gcc 4.0.3:

CWARNVERBOSE= -Wall -Wextra -ansi -pedantic -Wformat=2 -Winit-self -Wmissing-include-dirs -Wswitch-enum -Wunused -Wunknown-pragmas -Wstrict-aliasing=2 -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wundef -Wshadow -Wpointer-arith -Wbad-function-cast -Wcast-qual -Wcast-align -Wwrite-strings -Wconversion -Wstrict-prototypes -Wold-style-definition -Wmissing-prototypes -Wmissing-declarations -Wmissing-noreturn -Wmissing-format-attribute -Wpacked -Wredundant-decls -Wnested-externs -Wunreachable-code -Winline -Winvalid-pch

Of course I'll do more than make it compile with verbose gcc flags (probably not going to touch splint). But it's nice to have it to the point where gcc can help you. Plus constifying everything helps me read through the code so I know where things should and should not change.

Comment

FrikQCC would give you a bugged progs if you used a few broken features, e.g. the 'const' keyword. Although that may have been fixed in later more obscure releases. (2.6 is the common one I believe)

Comment

I currently use FrikQCC 2.7.

it's what I've always used since it was released.
          Inside3D - Wocka-Wocka-Wocka

Comment

Wasn't 2.7 just 2.6 with a buggy GUI?

Comment

Originally posted by Sajt
              Wasn't 2.7 just 2.6 with a buggy GUI?
              That's what I thought.

I've looked at frikqcc, fteqcc, and qfcc (quakeforge qcc). As I understand it, most people use fteqcc these days.

However, as a developer, quakeforge qcc looks much nicer. It's rewritten for a traditional compiler framework (flex/bison) and the code is cleaned up a lot. There are no more 8,000 line source files to read through anymore.

There is still some work to do. It doesn't compile cleanly as it is in the CVS or release version. The changes necessary are very minor though. And it would be great to incorporate the changes (new optimizations and warnings) from fteqcc to qfcc. Does anyone know of any bugs in qfcc that aren't in fteqcc?

I talked to a developer on the fteqcc forums and he said the reason no one uses qfcc is because it's written with flex/bison. I just built it locally here, and it's all statically linked so there are no external dependencies at runtime. Oh well. Yet another dead compiler...

Comment

I would just say go with FrikQCC or FTEqcc simply because both FrikaC and Spike hang out in #qc on Anynet and if you have problems or questions in general you can just ask them outright.
                Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

offsite thread

By the way, here's the thread where I'm talking with the fteqcc guys about fteqcc, frikqcc, and qfcc:

http://besmella-quake.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=589

Comment

Originally posted by kbdrate View Post
                    A couple people said they had corrupted progs.dat from FrikQCC.
                    I ran into a problem when using Frikqcc a few days ago. I updated the progs.dat with some new code and when I ran the server, I found 2 bugs happening:

1) on server start I'd get the message "could not find map map/somemap.bsp"
                    2) ORL and I could not jump but it was as if we were holding jump the entire time and couldn't undo it (in darkplaces we were sliding frictionless).

So I thought I messed up and started commenting my code and uncommenting one by one to find the source of the problem. Every time I tested each baby step, the 2 bugs weren't there. When I finally uncommented the last line of code, the mod ran fine. I was very puzzled.

Of course, maybe I just had a syntax error that wasn't caught and I didn't notice but I'm sure everything was bug-less.

Comment

You might find that you get slightly more consistent results if you use FTEQCC instead. Or at the very least, it's worth trying anyway...
                      16:03:04 <gb> when I put in a sng, I think I might need nails
                      16:03:30 <gb> the fact that only playtesting tells me that probably means that my mind is a sieve

Comment

Working...
                      X