Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Vs. New Quake

1. Spawn Shields

If I were to single other the one thing that I think has made the biggest difference in having fun on a server, I would have to say it is the spawn shields.

Back 4 years ago, there were no spawn shields.

A good player would go out of there way to memorize all the spawn points on a map and shoot rockets and grenades at the spawn points, even if no player was present.

Additionally, it was annoying dealing with spawn campers that would pitch a tent and continually grenade bomb a spawn point.

Those spawn campers, if you killed them, would go right back to the same place and do it again.

2. Grappling Hook

I used to hate the grappling hook. I thought it detracted with the obstacles of a map and thought it eliminated the coolness of rocket jumping.

But the truth is, I also initially hate the hook because I was a ground player and entering a server with a hook with like an upside down world for me.

Plus, I used to suck with the hook.

3. Strong Spawn and Runes

The two most popular server types are CA+, with no self damage and spawn with full armor, and rune servers where you get basically acquire a permanent power-up.

Doom 2 deathmatch always seemed to be fun the way it was made. But for me, vanilla Quake deathmatch always seemed to be a bit lacking.

I like playing Rocket Arena, CA+, IHOC or even Practice Mode DM where emphasis is on tactics, and less emphasis is on map control. That's just me.

4. Enhanced Voting/User-Friendliness

I think vote-map/warp is the most important characteristic on any server. In the old days, you often only had vote-exit and that was if the server permitted non-admins to have say in the map change.

What do you feel is the best improvement over vanilla Quake out-of-the-box as far as it applies to online play?
    Spawn Shields
    22.22%
    Grappling Hook
    16.67%
    Strong Spawn (CA+, RA)
    5.56%
    Enhanced Voting
    16.67%
    Runes
    5.56%
    I'm old skool
    33.33%
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

spawn shields.

i fucking hate spawn campers. Quake 2 has the WORST railgun spawn campers.

Comment

I'm oldschool

Comment

1.01!

Comment

I chose grappling hook. It is one of the most helpful things on Quake (not hooking people, but getting around a level quickly).

Comment

Clients

We several good clients /fuh/ez/fte with lots of juicy stuff

Commentating
            QTV is on its way and will just boost the whole commentating thing to another level

Leagues
            Duelmania/eql/nqr all going strong with never this much participants

This new era of Quake is the best I have seen so far in my almost 10 year in the scene

Comment

I put enchanced voting. Without voting, you would have to get an admin in to change the levels, and that would be a pain in the ass. Or you would just have to hit the timelimit or fraglimit obviously.

Comment

Originally posted by sassa
                Commentating
                QTV is on its way and will just boost the whole commentating thing to another level
                I think it is interesting how Quake has evolved into something that can actually develop some real life skills. Some of the commentators might end up doing soccer games

Some of the developers/mappers use what they make to get gaming jobs, others sites use it for practice for web developing skills, or blogging style writing practice like the Besmella site.

I don't think anyone would have ever predicted some of this.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
                  I put enchanced voting. Without voting, you would have to get an admin in to change the levels, and that would be a pain in the ass. Or you would just have to hit the timelimit or fraglimit obviously.
                  It sucked. There is nothing more annoying than getting stuck on a bad map and not being able to do anything about it.

And vote-exit wasn't enough, often the next map was likely to be just as bad.

Comment

Working...
                  X