• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Join my clan arena Server.

Clan Arena Server
    68.97.164.245:26000

USE GLPRO 3.50
    Join, Enjoy. Tell me how it works for you, Thanks!
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Never played CA
    Might join later tonight after work and errands.
    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Its brand new, made it a few hours ago.
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Still got that just gibbed smell, fresh from the sulfur of Chthons belly?

I love the scent of rotting shambler crotch in the morning....

Comment

BTW I use GLPro if Im playing "seriously"
          and DarkPlaces if Im not

One reason.

DarkPlaces can alt-tab in and out without losing the video. So I use that to chat on AIM or irc every few deaths.

Comment

Yeah, GLPro does that for me and I find that vid problem really annoying. JoeQuake/QRack don't have that problem at all. Darkplaces usually doesn't do that on me, but sometimes does with multiple window switches.

Needless to say, there is something about GLPro that is nice and lethal.

That being said, JoeQuake and QRack can be tweaked into high performance and be used just as effectively ... if you don't get distracted by how good everything looks.

That being said, lately I have found myself using GLPro most of the time just because I have 2 Quake folders on my PC and I never play around/conduct experiments with the folder that GLPro is in.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

No offense to R00k but DarkPlaces looks better than Qrack to me easily, and gets a higher framerate. I found out vsync was interfering with GLPro, so it got promoted massively in my book, though still loses points for not having video mode changes availabe outside of a command line, and the alt tab thing. But if Im going to not use GLPro it is most definitely DarkPlaces for that.

I only briefly ran JoeQuake, but the screenshots on the site look gaudy as hell to me, reminded me of UT2k3, losing asthetic through all the attempts at asthetic.

Comment

If you use the right stuff, QRack/JoeQuake make things look very Quake 3ish for the most part.

DarkPlaces looks the part more, as far as being the real, true original Quake.

QRack has iplog (identify mystery player), best-weapon, team-say commands, pings and the status bar and other stuff like that.

Without those, it is kind of inconvenient to play multiplayer, considering GLPro has all of those and GLPro has been, basically, the multiplayer standard since 2000.

On the single player side, 3 things I love about JoeQuake (and these apply to QRack as well) are:

1. The maps menu. This was suggested by IEEE 802.11 to the JoeQuake author back in 2003 and he made it. Makes trying different maps fun.

2. Shift on the fly gamedir. I can do like "gamedir koohoo" or "gamedir lunsp1" and change games while inside JoeQuake. Maybe DarkPlaces has this feature somewhere.

3. Brightness and contrast adjust.

I agree the effects in QRack and JoeQuake are not very old school and don't look consistent. This doesn't bother most multiplayer types, but it certainly does look out of place in single player.

The shadows, the lighting and the bloom can make single player maps look much nicer in DarkPlaces.

From the single player perspective, really other than not having a maps menu, the only thing I view as a weakness in DarkPlaces is not having brightness/contrast adjust. If I play with the brightness bar in DarkPlaces, usually it will look too faded if I increase the brightness.

If there is some other way to control the contrast, let me know. The contrast thing always has bugged me.

That being said, I think DarkPlaces is much more capable of adding to the atmosphere of a game than any other engine.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

GLQuake doesnt work for shit on my computer for some reason. never has, and im really tired of trying.

aside from that, ive never played CA before, and if it requires any patches or dlls or paks, i dont have them and dont want them

sorry, but i cant test your server

Comment

What video card do you have?

And what do you normally use? wqpro.exe?

Comment

I spoke with LordHavoc some about this post and he informed me that the reasons for such regarding contrast is Windows 2k/XP using DirectDraw gamma, and uses a very tight standard on what it allows. Thus it rejects most gamma ramps, and things like contrast really mess with the gamma ramps. SetDeviceGammaRamp is picky. Its also causing us Windows users to miss out on a easter-egg mode he coded that does wonky things with gamma, because of DirectDraw.

He also tossed out that best weapon should be done in the qc, not the engine, which I agree with considering how Quake is made.

Honestly, I dont want my Quake to look like Quake3. Quake3 is fun, but its much more cartoony, and its style doesnt work with Quake's levels.

Regardless, I think DarkPlaces looks significantly better in both multiplayer and singleplayer, it gets a higher framerate on my machine and it connects just as well to servers and plays as GLPro. I honestly dont really make use of things like best weapon or such.

Comment

He also tossed out that best weapon should be done in the qc, not the engine, which I agree with considering how Quake is made.
                        I agree with that, I wasn't lobbying for that kind of multiplayer stuff. I don't see what kind of benefit that confers to the broad uses of that engine.

Mostly just the maps thing and the contrast.

Comment

gamma panel

for problem in glproquake gamma just use this program called "GAPA"

Gamma Panel, simple to use and reset it's from one my clan mates from counter-strike's filefront website it's a clean file i promise

http://files.filefront.com/Gapa__gam.../fileinfo.html

This body holding me,reminds me of my own mortality.
                          Embrace this moment, remember, we are eternal,all this pain is an illusion.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                            What video card do you have?

And what do you normally use? wqpro.exe?

same one you have there. NVIDIA.
                            yes, WinquakePro is what i use.

i dont know why GLQuake gives me so much shit. all i know is that Quake 3 Arena runs FLAWLESSLY and GLQuake runs like shit.

Comment

Death Knight ... try the QRack installer off of this page:

http://www.quakeone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423

I know GLPro is flakey. Something about the JoeQuake/QRack codebase is much more video card friendly.

If it doesn't work, that installer has an easy standard uninstall.

Comment

Working...
                              X