Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite Quake Engine (1)

Thanks to everyone who contributed in naming engines Here

Now let's have a poll on everyone's favorite!

Here's the list that I got:
    • Qrack
    • Proquake
    • Joequake
    • Tenebrai
    • Darkplaces
    • q95
    • Winquake
    • GL-quake
    • Fuhquake
    • Telejano
    • Fitzquake
    • Frikquake
    • NiftyGLQuake
    • vengeance-r2
    • TomazQuake
    • QuakeForge
    • Twilight
    • Turtle
    • QMB
    • cheaphack

btw, Sorry Moderators but I have 20 on my list. I'm going to have to make 2 posts for everyone's input. Sowwy

Here's a Huzzah for Bank!

2nd page can be found Here.
    Qrack
    31.58%
    Proquake
    31.58%
    Joequake
    10.53%
    Tenebrai
    0.00%
    Darkplaces
    26.32%
    q95
    0.00%
    Winquake
    0.00%
    GL-quake
    0.00%
    Fuhquake
    0.00%
    Telejano
    0.00%
    Last edited by Canadian*Sniper; 04-15-2006, 09:00 PM.

PROQUAKE. Its the only one with a cheat-free module.

Comment

as much as i like the look of qrack, gonna have to go with Proquake.

it has the least amount of lag that ive seen so far, and has some of the coolest features. all the pq_ commands are very useful, ive noticed. plus, it has a GL option for you graphic purists.

not only that, but its also compatable with the two mission packs, Scourge of Armagon, and Dissolutions of Eternity.

Comment

but its also compatable with the two mission packs, Scourge of Armagon, and Dissolutions of Eternity.
        Honestly, an engine has to really suck a LOT to break compatibility with mods that change relatively little, let alone commercial ones that are well known.
        Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

proquake, its the only one w/ cheatfree.. They need to make an OpenGL version of proquake for linux

Comment

Originally posted by EFESS
            proquake, its the only one w/ cheatfree.. They need to make an OpenGL version of proquake for linux
            There is a linux quake thread somewhere in the help forums I think. Baker posted a link to a GLX proquake binary that some kind soul compiled and provided.

It's in the sourcecode, just has to be compiled.

I'm more worried about its security module. Linux changes very fast, and stuff that's

a) closed source
            b) unmaintained since 2002

may one day just stop working.

Joequake build 1189 (linux version only provided as source) tells me

"security module not found"

at the start. I would interpret that as "newest Joequake has a security module function". Doesn't qrack also provide this?

Fuhquake has a security feature, it's QW though (why is it in the list?)

One proquake feature that I don't like is the increased sound travel reach. I personally think that sound shouldn't travel across the whole level.
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

"q95" isn't an engine.

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy
                I'm more worried about its security module.
                The .so file works for me on linux.

Originally posted by CheapAlert
                "q95" isn't an engine.
                Well then you should have corrected me in the previous listing thread

Comment

Qrack

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
                    Honestly, an engine has to really suck a LOT to break compatibility with mods that change relatively little, let alone commercial ones that are well known.

well, engines that are patched differently (ie, qrack) dont have the different guns, monsters, tiles, power ups, and other whatnots that are featured in the mission packs. its pretty understandable why they wouldnt work. especially Dissolutions of Eternity. that one has a whole mess of new tiles, power ups, and monsters. plus, every gun from the nailgun up has an alt weapon with its own kind of ammo. Qrack's creator (r00k if im not mistaken) would have had to have gone around and looked at every single mod and wrote down every single feature that all the mods had to offer, and then had all this junk patched into Qrack style. from my point of view...that really isnt worth the effort.

however, the audiable footsteps that are present in Scourge of Armagon are not present when using Proquake. im not sure why, but the other aspects of the game still work. Qrack, however, will not play the mission packs at all. i figured this was worth mentioning for some reason or another.

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
                      Yeah, EFFSS, if you haven't found it already

-----> GLX ProQuake Cheat-Free Binary
                      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Death Knight
                        well, engines that are patched differently (ie, qrack) dont have the different guns, monsters, tiles, power ups, and other whatnots that are featured in the mission packs. its pretty understandable why they wouldnt work. especially Dissolutions of Eternity. that one has a whole mess of new tiles, power ups, and monsters. plus, every gun from the nailgun up has an alt weapon with its own kind of ammo. Qrack's creator (r00k if im not mistaken) would have had to have gone around and looked at every single mod and wrote down every single feature that all the mods had to offer, and then had all this junk patched into Qrack style. from my point of view...that really isnt worth the effort.

however, the audiable footsteps that are present in Scourge of Armagon are not present when using Proquake. im not sure why, but the other aspects of the game still work. Qrack, however, will not play the mission packs at all. i figured this was worth mentioning for some reason or another.
                        No, that'd be a sign of careless lazinesss.

Comment

These are interesting things to look into.

I played the Mission Packs in JoeQuake from start to end. QRack is a derivative of JoeQuake and I suspect it wouldn't have a problem, but I can't vouch for that.

ProQuake isn't much a change from GLQuake. It is a barely changed version of GLQuake. I'll have to check that out.

Either way, it is interesting thing to investigate.
                          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I think SOA only had footsteps when the server was using 'crosshair 2' or something weird like that.

Comment

Working...
                            X