Quad, Pent, Ring Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quad, Pent, Ring Poll

I'm all for the Quad, Pent and Ring in large FFA (free for all) type of games.

But, to me at least, I find the Pent and Ring really annoying in smaller games, especially 1 on 1 or 26002 style practice mode.

I don't so much mind the Quad, I think it adds a lot to team games and especially FFA.

I think the Pent can be useful in CTF where if you manage to get it, you have 30 seconds to get a free flag capture and it seems to be rare enough.

I find the ring incredibly irritating in 1 on 1 games, especially DM6.

Just a chatty opinion poll.

---
    To make this more fun, multiple choices are allow and your vote(s) will be displayed.
    I love the Pent
    13.89%
    I love the Quad
    19.44%
    I love the Ring
    8.33%
    Pent is annoying
    13.89%
    Quad is annoying
    11.11%
    The Ring is annoying
    13.89%
    Pent, Quad, Ring? I own you all anyway.
    8.33%
    I suck so bad even those don't help me.
    11.11%
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Originally posted by Baker
    I think the Pent can be useful in CTF where if you manage to get it, you have 30 seconds to get a free flag capture and it seems to be rare enough.
    Hope you're joking about it's rarity there Baker

Comment

I own you all anyways. Pent doesn't help me that much, neither does ring. And with quad I usually just end up blowing myself up unless I have shaft.

Comment

Smaller games, quad and ring are good. Larger games, all three.

CTF: while pent can be annoying in a small CTF game (and in 3wav it's usually turned off) on a pub CTF with a bunch of people, several people usually camp. On some maps it makes it really hard to get a teams flag. The pent can help in this situation.

I've seen CTF games that consisted of both teams camping their base with one guy from each team trying to run the flag. It ends up being a boring game.

Comment

Quad is just too much for me, I dont even like using it really.

Pent is like a good luck charm of "youre not going to run into anyone at all for the next little bit!"

Ring... whats the point, I can be in the shadows, or not in the shadows, with ring, not firing or using hook, and they seem to spot me even faster than they do when I am without it, to the extent of suspecting theyre possessing some model hack or for some strange reason Im giving off a glow thats only visible in their client.
          Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
            Pent doesn't help me that much, neither does ring. And with quad I usually just end up blowing myself up unless I have shaft.
            word.

with pent, some cocky asshole ususally just rocket blasts me like mad, with impact rune, quad, berserk, whatever, and makes it impossible for me to move at all, even with hook.

with ring, theres always some *** whos able to hit me 100% time anyway.

with quad...its just suicide.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
              I find the ring incredibly irritating in 1 on 1 games, especially DM6.
              same here.

the quad is ok, on dm4 and e1m2 (in 1on1 games) it's nice. dm4 because it has shaft and a supernailgun next to it, and the rocket suicide factor is pretty entertaining. e1m2 because it only has 1 YA so one quad rocket (just the splash) can hurt enough. also there's possibilities for quad rocket prediction shots (the door), and longer shots (into rl room, into mh room...)

the pent in 1on1 kinda defies the purpose of the game methinks.

haven't got much ffa experience. I would imagine the pent could be fun.
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Ring doesn't help me much at all. Since I use gl_doubleeyes 1, its really no problem seeing enemy eyes.

Comment

gl_doubleeyes?

That is a new variable by me... and honestly sounds like cheating.

Comment

Monster cheats

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
                      gl_doubleeyes?

That is a new variable by me... and honestly sounds like cheating.
                      It isn't. By default gl_doubleeyes is 1 in GLQuake, only the variable was broken and it was fixed in ProQuake.

Only a bonehead would make gl_doubleeyes 0, as it is twice as small as in WinQuake.

But, I ... like yourself ... once made the mistake as well thinking it was a cheat.

It just one of those weird / obscure ProQuake fixes, like how the ProQuake author corrected where GLQuake/WinQuake had the same audio radius as quake.exe.
                      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Ah okay
                        Well, nonetheless, eyes has been useless to me as I can be all sneaky and avoid being seen and be coming up on someone, not firing or making any sound, they will in the middle of a fight and immediately whirl around and place a rocket directly on me. There is skill, but that just seems suspicious when theyre facing the other way and Im supposed to be invisible.

Comment

Doubleeyes makes the eyes giant. Thats another reason why the ***s at SHMACK call me a bot. "How do you shaft me perfectly when I have ring? Asshole"

Comment

Does Proquake DoubleEyes == 1 by default?

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
                              There is skill, but that just seems suspicious when theyre facing the other way and Im supposed to be invisible.
                              I never trust invisibility. Lefty once had a really funny picture he posted in response to a thread by Urdead on another board, long ago.

Not only do I not trust my invisibility, but I have a very tough time dealing with other players who are invisible.

I don't mind it, except in a 1 on 1 where I more or less refuse to do DM6 unless the ring gets turned off :d

I'm not the only one who feels this way about invisibility in Quake. The IHOC server makes invisible players a "nail" instead of the eyes model, for instance.

[quote]
                              Originally posted by Canadian*Sniper
                              Does Proquake DoubleEyes == 1 by default?
                              It's by default in GLQuake too.

Comment

Working...
                              X