Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do get started?:)

Good day ladies & gentlemen and Fellow Quakers,

I have been off track from Quake since the 3 install. Used to be 24/7 fragging in my country Malaysia during the 90s. Now that I have found a reliable source which is QuakeOne.com.

What is the first step to run Quake.exe on my Windows 7? Do I have to purchase from Steam?

Any help is appreciated!

Hello CoolMaker,

this question has been asked before.

You might want to read this thread.

Attention:
    MH did a fantastic summary of the most important existing engines.
    His post should be a sticky: click me

Comment

You'll need to purchase the content, steam is perfect. Once you install from there, you can use one of the updated engines that work in windows 7.

Comment

For the best graphical effects I would recommend DarkPlaces engine, but there are a lot other engines as well, such fitzquake, Baker's Engine-X, etc..
        200 años de mi querido PARAGUAY
        14/05/1811

Comment

As well, pay close attention because it's missed a lot:
          delete opengl32.dll from your Quake directory once you have gotten the game.

opengl32.dll was a file once disguised and used as a cheat within the game, and most servers won't let you connect with your directory containing it.

Also, be sure to checkout a new client, there's tons of them. On the frontpage of Quakeone.com however, scroll down and on the right hand side of the page are some popular clients.

I love seeing people comeback, and welcome to the site
          uakene.com

Comment

There are many new members in this 2011 as I see.. That's nice!
            14/05/1811

Comment

Hell yeah I agree!
              uakene.com

Comment

Thank you for your helpful feedback.

So the first step is to register at Steam and Install Steam.
                Second step is to purchase Quake 1 for $9.99.
                Third step is to download DarkPlaces Engine and run it?
                Fourth step is to Delete the OpenGLL32.dll file?

Gentlemen I'm so sorry to bother and repeat myself.
                I am not really a PC person plus my English proficiency is poor.
                A step by step guide is greatly appreciated

Thanks & Regards

Comment

Am sorry if this trouble you guys or causing inconvenience

Comment

Once you purchased the game (steps one and two) in the third step you can download an engine of your choice, DP is just one of a lot of options (Seven posted a link to the thread above)..
                    The opengl32.dll deleting is just for online play I guess, I don't play online because of my high ping so I never had an issue with that file..
                    14/05/1811

Comment

Thanks daniocampo1992 for your quick respond

Ok I will Register and Install Steam once I get home then purchase Quake1.

Man, can't hardly wait to play again.

Anyway, can I host a game and give my IP Add to my friends and play?
                      I'd love to play online too since I have a 20MB broadband

Does the Quake1 bundle have Frogbot in it too? I used to train with Frogbots! I remember the foot pounding sounds hahaha.

Hope it's as simple as I read the instruction.

Thanks & Regards!

Comment

daniocampo1992, may I know where are you from?

Comment

How to get quake 1 to work on steam.

Grab the new GL quake from: ProQuake 4: The official continuation of ProQuake

Extract the compressed file to: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\quake\

The path may vary depends where your steam is but it will be in "Steam\steamapps\common\quake\"

Rename glquake.exe to glquake.bak.

Rename the new glpro451.exe to glquake.exe

Load quake in steam, it will ask what you want to run.

Select GL Qauke.

And your good to go.

Also additional maps etc, can be snagged for diff mods, and just throw em into the id1 folder of the steam install of quake 1.

~Cheers hope this is helpful.

One thing to note.

Steam does not backup the new clients, if u wanna run quake within the client the above steps should work for u, aka rename the new client glpro541.exe or whatever release it is now, to glquake.exe, then run glquake in steam it will load the newclient the old glquake.exe is not useful anymore. its out of date and dead.

~Cheers.

Oh right by the note backup new clients i mean, anything u add to your quake folder in your steamapps/common/quake folder... it will not be backed up if you use the backup feature in steam. Just so u know so u may wanna keep your own private rar or zip of that directory handy on a seperate drive incase of a reinstall so u do not loose ur config/settings/new clients etc.

Take care, good luck.

Happy fraggin'

Comment

Originally posted by daniocampo1992 View Post
                            For the best graphical effects I would recommend DarkPlaces engine, but there are a lot other engines as well, such fitzquake, Baker's Engine-X, etc..
                            Go for DirectQ first. Then Qrack. Then DarkPlaces.

DirectQ is widely compatible and highly debugged. Qrack is widely compatible. And DarkPlaces has a lot of features but some graphics cards and some types of single player maps aren't very cooperative; modern graphics cards run DarkPlaces very well but if you have, say, a laptop that isn't 2011-style or a desktop with a 2006 graphics card from the wrong vendor you might be looking in the window from the outside wanting something that isn't gonna happen.

One opinion ... no better or worse than any others in this thread. For real.
                            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I did not think A Steam game was able to be modded.
                              I have purchased full retail versions to avoid there content restrictions in the past, like BF2.
                              WARNING
                              May be too intense for some viewers.
                              Stress Relief Device
                              ....BANG HEAD HERE....
                              ---------------------------
                              .--------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X