No announcement yet.

Just a thankyou.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well most of these modern engines increase the limit by alot it seems, the original was really limited but it was originally a DOS program hehe.

I'm just trying to keep my mind off the fact I'll probably be homeless because of the economy so I am trying to escape by going back in time I guess when I was 14 hacking QuakeC code. It's the only thing keeping me sane right now hehe.

Comment

Originally posted by Quake Jesus View Post
      Well most of these modern engines increase the limit by alot it seems, the original was really limited but it was originally a DOS program hehe.

I'm just trying to keep my mind off the fact I'll probably be homeless because of the economy so I am trying to escape by going back in time I guess when I was 14 hacking QuakeC code. It's the only thing keeping me sane right now hehe.
      Know the feeling man. I have a decent job now but when I was medically discharged from the Army in 08 5 years from retirement, I stayed jobless for close to 2 years. Had to sell just about everything to live and eventually had to move back in with the folks till I got back on my feet. Best of luck to you and hope you find something soon.

LK

Comment

Thanks 'preciate it

Comment

Originally posted by Quake Jesus View Post
          ...I'm just trying to keep my mind off the fact I'll probably be homeless because of the economy so I am trying to escape by going back in time I guess when I was 14 hacking QuakeC code. It's the only thing keeping me sane right now hehe.
          can totally sympathise there, been more-or-less out of work for almost a year now, doing whatever sub'ing where I can, I only just found permanent employment again yesterday so, I'm thanking my lucky stars and breathing a sigh of relief (as is my hard-working, long-suffering wife )

Speaking from personal experience; this forum (and working on skins etc...) has been a great distraction for the times between looking for work, which is when the depression can really sneak up on you. its also hard to let yourself enjoy these times when out of work, as your guilt tends to make you feel you're not doing enough.
          In the end I came to realise that the time I've had is also a gift of sorts, so I used it as wisely as I could, and deliberately took time out to enjoy myself, as well as doing the stuff I had to do...

hang in there, it will all come around...

Regards
          Latchford

Comment

Haha about the gibs...

In Q1, and more so in Q2 when you gib a grunt the total volume of the gibs seems to be higher than possible. In a sense it feels like you're inflating the soldiers when you gib them.

I find there's something incredibly enjoyable about that, for some reason

Comment

I'm surprised no one has made a more "gory" removal for gibs. Just simply make them still disappear after a minute or so, but when they disappear they disappear with blood splatter (like when a enemy is shot).

Comment

very good idea... anyone fancy tackling that...Sev maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Kronox View Post
                  Been playing Quake on and off since it was released and nothing is like the original. Sure its dated and low tech compared to modern games, but.. it has a mood, a sinister quality .. that gnaws at the black depths of the soul. No game in history has given us such a perfect combination of out and out action mixed with an almost palpable sense of dread. It took me an all night computer session to get all of the mods I wanted and to modify them further to suit my taste so I can't even imagine all of the effort that went into the original works.

Quake is not just a game, it has become much more than that. It is an expression of dark art. All truly magnificent games are such not because of their realism but rather because of their ability to take you away from what is real. To twist your mind, to imerse you in whatever emotion the devolopers want you to be immersed in. Thanks to all that have put in their hard work to keep quake going.

Now if someone would GET IT... and give us another good game that acutally has a soul. They are rare and far between indeed.

LK
                  Great post. I've never really seen it explained like this, and you've hit the nail on the head. Quake 1 will always be my game of choice. I used to love playing in the late 90's with a bunch of friends online, all meeting on a server and having a gib-fest. I think Trent Reznor also brought a lot to quake with all the eerie sounds effects he did.

I've never found a game quite like Quake, and to this day- I still can't find any game remotely close to being as good a game. So innovative.

Comment

Working...
                  X