Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake from Steam: ID Superpack

Hi all,

I used to play Quake in the 90s. I lost my CD, and I bought the game from id Super Pack on Steam. They have discount from 1July-11July 2011.

I start-up my quake in my windows, so everything was fine.

Just few questions:-

1. The game is playable, yet there is no Music (that normally plays from the CD). Although the music is ain't important to me, but for memory sake, is there a way we could download the original CD music?

2. Here I am, digging out my old 3dfx CARD voodoo5 PCI from a dusty box. I wanted to get my hands dirty on hardware & software. Do you think its wise to put a Voodoo5 PCI card into an ICore7? Any issue will occur? Or just use Voodoo2?

3. Every game, has a game client search! Quakespy, now known as Gamespy. Should I go ahead and install Gamespy?

4. I'm surprise to see that Quake1 Forums are very alive and active. Why would you guys still play quake 1? (Just wondering)

5. I saw some massive improvements on Quake1 news page, in this quakeone.com. Should I update my Quake1 with all those patches? I have copied out the Quake1 from Steam Directory. I just wanna know what to do with it? can I use Ubuntu Linux to play quake? or stick with Windows 7?

Thanks for answering my question.

Regards,
    Panties

1) With a engine that supports music you indeed can. I use Darkplaces which uses ogg format.
    Quake Music
    .../quake/id1/sound/cdtracks/
    Mission Pack 1 Music
    .../quake/hipnotic/sound/cdtracks/
    Mission Pack 2 Music
    .../quake/rogue/sound/cdtracks/

2) No idea. Those are pretty old cards. The engines out now can use modern cards (and in the case of Darkplaces - NEEDED).

3) Don't need any server browser, look on the side of the main page. Server listing right there with present # of players on.

4) Because it's better than the modern "regenerating health, can run for short distances only, hold 2 weapons only, so called realism" crap that's out there today

5) The massive improvements. All up to you. If you are wanting the graphical updates - Darkplaces is the best choice but keep in mind it does need a decent PC. I am running a ATI x1600 and I can drop to 5FPS if I max everything. Most engines just need you to copy their contents to the same folder as the original exe's folder.

Comment

Originally posted by Panties View Post

4. I'm surprise to see that Quake1 Forums are very alive and active. Why would you guys still play quake 1? (Just wondering)
      Every other game blows chunks.
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Darkplaces...

Where can I get those? how to install it?

Comment

LordHavoc's DarkPlaces Quake Modification

To install, simply open the zip and extract the contents to the folder that your quake exe's are.

Comment

Thanks..

Comment

FYI we all use modern vid cards with quake.

Comment

Unless you're me and have a fanless (Silent Edition) x1600
                But hey the PC it came with was free lol

Comment

Don't bother with a 3DFX, even for the nostalgia kick. I doubt if you could ever get drivers anyway. Put something more modern into that i7 machine and you'll still be able to run any source port much better than any 3DFX could ever manage.
                  IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Would it be best to play Quake in Linux? does Darkplaces supported in Linux?
                    Or everyone use windows?

Reason is because I love linux more than windows, although the only game I manage to it work with Linux, is QuakeLive, which is based on Quake3 engine. I truly get 20-30 FPS higher than the QuakeLive in Windows 7, although both are playable.

If I wanted to get Quake1 (Not through wine, if possible), play in Linux, is there any Linux Guru here that I could learn from? By the way, do you guys have IRC Channel that you guys hang out on? I want in!

Comment

There is a Linux client on Welcome to Clan HDz in the Downloads section. Or here is the direct link to download it: http://www.clanhdz.com/files/quake/p...e/sqpro350.zip
                      uakene.com

Comment

Working...
                      X