E1M2 is no longer suitable for duels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E1M2 is no longer suitable for duels?

I wonder why the e1m2 is no longer played in the duels today?

I watched a few demos Thresh playing duels this map, so I think at that time was a very popular map. Precisely when this map was dropped in duels and what are the reasons? I'm just curious about it.

I'm very noob still, so sorry if my questions are too silly.

i'm guessing by duel you mean 1v1? not a lot of 1v1'ers left in the DM scene, especially pure 1v1'ers
    most people play DM6 - probably for it's simplicity and that anyone can play it without knowing the map, altho some are also good at dm2/dm4 matches.

altho e1m2 is a classic map, i'm sure you could find someone to play you 1v1 on there if you asked around

a lot of those maps (like e1m2) were popular because they were also good FFA maps and were also popular not only on NQ but heat.net / mplayer, so a lot of them died out around 99-2000 i would say (or whenever those sites shut down)
    Last edited by rcade; 07-24-2011, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Last edited by omicron; 12-10-2011, 11:45 PM.

Comment

thanks for replies, guys!

then the real reason of e1m2 have been left out because there are other maps is easier to play 1v1, is it?
        Because I realized that nowadays all the big 1v1 tournaments (I said "duels" cuz in q3/quakelive we speak so, ) the e1m2 is not in the list of maps. Is always dm2, dm4, dm6, ztndm3 and aerowalk.

but ok, if only these reasons then it seems not very logical. but ok!

thanks!

Comment

e1m2 was popular partially because it existed in the demo/shareware version, and has reasonable size and connectivity.

its not a bad map, but its not exactly designed for duels either.

Most people have the full version of quake now, one way or another, so its original niche is fairly insignificant now, hence why its popularity may have dropped.
          Some Game Thing

Comment

Very true spike. Good thing I read your post, I was bout to rant about Shareware Quake blah blah etc etc.

Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
              e1m2 was popular partially because it existed in the demo/shareware version, and has reasonable size and connectivity.

its not a bad map, but its not exactly designed for duels either.

Most people have the full version of quake now, one way or another, so its original niche is fairly insignificant now, hence why its popularity may have dropped.
              I disagree. It is a solid map for 1v1s and for games in general. It fell by the wayside because people have become ignorant and lazy, to the point that some won't 1v1 on dm4 or dm2 and the only options are either dm6 or even some fools want dm3 1v1s. There are plenty of appropriate maps for TGs and 1v1s but people won't play them.

Comment

Working...
              X