Illegal Download Links to be Moderated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal Download Links to be Moderated

It has been decided that illegal downloads are subject to immediate moderation.

Please do not link to illegal downloads in forum posts, it'll make life easier so we can focus on making the site better and encouraging Quake projects and the other stuff that will help make Quake a better game, etc.

We'd also like this to be the kind of site that if someone like John Carmack ever visited it, he'd like what he saw instead of seeing things that reflect poorly on the Quake community.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I told you Tical. You shouldn't have done that. Next time, severe consequences will result.

Comment

heh.. Baker does not need a Echo Monster besides,who are you to suggest/mention severe punishment?

)))
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker

We'd also like this to be the kind of site that if someone like John Carmack ever visited it, he'd like what he saw instead of seeing things that reflect poorly on the Quake community.
        soooooo.. ask him? he seemed opened to looking at what quake 1 was still doing a few years back. I'm not sure how far he looked at the time. Send him an email??? He replies. ;Þ
        www.Net-Tyme.com
        Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
        Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

I agree that the links should be removed but don't remove THAT SITE

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
            You shouldn't have done that.
            This doesn't have much to do with that, we probably should have had this since mid-March when site launched but we didn't.

A few weeks ago, we had CheapAlert getting on people's cases, which probably was more effective.

I don't think anyone likes moderation, anyway.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Come on, Baker, don't you want more newbies in this game? Man, people will be WAY MORE encouraged to try a game that is free. And since this is a game made way back when, most people will be interested. I say we should have a DOWNLOAD QUAKE FOR FREE HERE link on the front page.
              Most people dont want to do any legwork to go search for a $5 copy of Quake in the Bargain Bin at thier local Wal-Mart. I know there are internet websites to buy from, but it's alot more encouraging to NOT have to pay for a game that was made back in 1996 that is less densely populated than Alaska.
              e|------------------------0---------------
              B|---------------0^1----------------1----
              G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
              D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
              A|---------------0------------------------
              E|----------------------------------------

Comment

That a great way to look for ID's attention... If Sole did that as a moderator, he'll face charges for advertising freeware. If it's a link from someone's post, then ID can ask for it to be removed.

Comment

Originally posted by the_f0qer
                  Come on, Baker, don't you want
                  First, I may post more here than Solecord and Yellow -- that's just my role and what I like doing -- but QuakeOne != Baker.

We discussed the pros and cons of this type of moderation, something we care about a lot, and based on some of the thoughts raised in that discussion, I can assure you that this is something that is not going to change.

Comment

For Baker: okie dokie, just expect lot LESS players then.
                    For C*S. I will personally reach my hand up my ass and pull out my guts if ID is interested in stopping the illegal downloads of a game that they made no less than 9 years ago that you can get with about 5 hours time searching in the bargain bin at wal-mart for $5.
                    e|------------------------0---------------
                    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                    A|---------------0------------------------
                    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

A while ago, McDonalds sued a poor french family (atleast I think they were french) for defamation over the company. The family was going on about how McDonalds was evil for a number of reasons. Although the situation wasn't serious and the family wouldn't be able to pay off the charge, McDonalds wanted to set an example.

Same goes to ID. If they find something that they disaprove, they will charge whoever was responsible or the third party for not doing anything about it. They will set an example out so this doesn't happen again. Now I'm not agreeing with CheapAlert with his Warez rant, but I don't want to see QuakeOne nor that other website removed.

my business law may be a little rusty so if someone finds this statement wrong, please let me know.

foqer, just fyi I'm not attacking you here. I'm simply indulging you with the reality of how society works. Hope I was constructive.

Comment

/me moderates Baker for linking to <FrikaC violated the moderation polcy> in a previous thread
                        Last edited by Baker; 05-11-2006, 11:29 PM. Reason: FrikaC was being bad and linking to Quake downloads again, I tried to stop him but he did it anyway. I'm sorry, Sole!

Comment

Well, other sites aren't our resposibility, just this one
                          I don't think Baker ever directed anyone there for warez did he? Does just mentioning the site count? Cause you just did that
                          uakene.com

Comment

Warez are bad mmkay...
                            "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Originally posted by FrikaC
                              /me moderates Baker ...
                              I've not posted any links to illegal downloads of Quake anywhere on this site. I've done it in the past on other sites for almost exclusively existing players that lost their Quake CD or had trouble with their install on XP. I also did it once in the QT shoutbox, I was kidding around and it was funny too.

There are sites that we link to that are part of the greater Quake community that do. That's not within our control, if you would like to take this up with those that responsible for those other sites, feel free to do so.

If you wish, you could email ID Software a letter stating your concern and include the list of all of the sites with illegal full version downloads of Quake. I do know that you are aware of those sites, as well.

If not, one might view it that you are more interested in this topic for intellectual conversation rather than the issue itself.

Not that I object to that, I like conversation.

And, I might add .. it's pretty absurd to think I've linked to a download of anything but shareware Quake. First, Solecord would be very unpleased about that. Second, I have never viewed illegal downloads of Quake as an answer.

I started the FreeQuake project. I had the idea back in March 2003, but at that time I didn't have the knowledge to pursue the concept. Bam and I spent a ton of time working on that project, along with Yellow, Steve and others. We continue to work on it.

Some think that illegal downloads are the answer. I don't. Some sites do that. I'd say "Where are all your players?"

Comment

Working...
                              X