I'm new here.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm new here.

Hello fellow Quakers! I just started playing Quake 1 online and I have to say it's quite fun although I'm still a n00b lol, any tips for a n00b like me?

What sort of tips are you looking for?
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

enjoy your stay.

EDIT: ...yeah
      Last edited by Shadowswift; 08-08-2011, 12:38 PM.

Comment

well if you are new try to get a good feel for the game and its controls, set your mouse to +mlook if not already, this allows you to use the mouse to aim with instead of the keyboard.. i would download one of the clients listed on the side for either online or offline play. I would practice at a coop server while not playing against other people online on other servers, or if you prefer offline play then i would try some of the custom maps/levels/mods that people have made on here and posted. Try searching through the forums for information as much as possible this helps even those who have been playing since quake first came out.

Comment

Pay no attention to my proof

[deleted by Frenzy]
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Frenzy; 08-08-2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

This is about someone who is new asking for help not anything else. So try to offer them some help like you would want, if you were new.

Comment

LOL, and I thought the CSS/Left 4 Dead communities were crazy, ahahaha.

My suggestion is not to pay any mind to any ranting/trolling, and just enjoy Quake however you enjoy it.
              Regular One Man Slaughterhouse

Comment

oh another tip is learn each standard level so it is easier to navigate through them, I would practice that after playing online each night. Or if a server is empty run through the level and find where all the power-ups/armour/health/megahealth/weapons/ammo are located on the map.

Comment

another tip, when aiming the rocket launcher at someone try not to fire directly at them but just infront of them in the direction they are moving toward, that way they run into it instead of dodge it.

Comment

watch demos

Comment

"Glocky", you have been banned. Should of banned you when you evaded the ban in the first place. Don't worry, I'll be all over you when you comeback.

Anyhow, if you're new to Quake, a few things you need to know:

Once you do your Quake install, delete opengl32.dll from your Quake folder, it is not needed and is blocked on most servers because it used to be used as a cheat file.

+mlook
                      fov 110
                      crosshair 1

...are some good commands to use, also, if you're unaware on how to bind

bind f "impulse 7" (will put your rocket launcher on f)
                      bind w "impulse 6" (will put your grenade launcher on w)
                      .. so forth and so on, impulse 1 through impulse 8 are weapons.

Grab a new client, on the front of this site on the right hand side scroll down, you will see QRack, Proquake, etc, grab a client, dump the contents into your Quake folder.

There's plenty more but until you let us know what you want help with I'll wait Glad to see ya here and hope you enjoy Quake again!
                      uakene.com

Comment

watch demos
                        learn to rocketjump(naturally useful in almost any mod)
                        take time to configure your binds/config
                        learn sounds and their location
                        practice
                        QuakeOne.com
                        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                          watch demos
                          learn to rocketjump(naturally useful in almost any mod)
                          take time to configure your binds/config
                          learn sounds and their location
                          practice
                          especially mods where you take dmg, shortcuts to quad is at mound,1 rocketjump away.
                          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by ninjamonkeyz View Post
                            another tip, when aiming the rocket launcher at someone try not to fire directly at them but just infront of them in the direction they are moving toward, that way they run into it instead of dodge it.
                            To expand on this a bit, aiming for the feet on a moving target with an RL will up your efficiency dramatically.

Comment

Thanks for all the tips and what not guys! Although in my original post I should have mentioned that I've played Quake 3 for a couple years, so I know SOME tactics but again, thanks, some of the tips were pretty helpful

Comment

Working...
                              X