Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can we garner more interest in Quake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can we garner more interest in Quake?

I think it's time to consider getting the player levels back up to a respectable level.. sure DM is thriving under 'DM3'.. Quake.shmack.net has a regular audience.. but the rest of the servers are sporadic and receive little to no people throughout the week..

The gameplay is still fun, many people here still play console games/have lives outside of Quake but will return for a few Quake games a week.. that is pretty much where I'm at

What are your ideas to get some more interest back in people playing and the servers being a tad more populated? (Even a few more people would make a difference)..

A few years back we had a thread where r00k/bam were creating some new changes for CAX to add podium standings at the end, forced map changes, team kill, and much more..I don't know where that is now.. Baker has disappeared off the map and promised some big change for Q1 but no one knows where he is anymore..

when mtown died a while back I felt like that was pretty much it.. people started leaving left and right.. it would be good to bring back a pub CTF server that replicates mtown (not the current ctf.quakeone.com which is a bit different than mtown's pub ctf to my recollection) and try to gain some interest in the mod again.. Sunday night CTF little to no people showed up.. I saw 4 people on the server and I wasn't able to make it that night..

For me personally I always felt like people need rewards/rankings in order to want something to show for all their time playing.. this is why many other older games out there are still surviving because they allow their playerbase to check how they've been doing statistically and how they measure up against the competition on the official website..

Game status simply wasn't enough, it's outside of this website, this website has been the key to keeping the community alive.

We need the servers to send live feeds and track the players statistics and bring them directly onto the site on a leaderboard.

It would also be cool if someone dedicated their time to putting mixes together the way Disco did (tv you should be quite good at this!).. something like putting a popular player's name in a video and showing some mixed highlights of different players to build up interest from outsiders..

videos of matches on the news page.

A 30 second trailer that shows "Quake in 2011" to newbies.

Large link to steam purchase page on the front site.

newbie protection in game to avoid being totally raped. Newbie skin for players.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

letting newbies actually play in dm games, instead of letting them watch game after game until they need that 6th man.
      Cbuf_AddText (va("say ZeroQuake GL version 1.10\n"));

Comment

Bring the public function from CTF to DM with auto team ballance.
        Bridge the gap between console and pc networks.Tap ps3 and we will be flooded with new tallent.
        Bring the euro style standard stateside with weaponstay on a FFA server.
        Post A guide for each of the popular mods.
        And A guide to get the game running again on the new OS.
        A few of these are in progress already,they just need to be up front.
        And finally try to finish the development of the new clients and content and lock it back down once a standard is agreed on by the programmers.
        Go spam PS3 forums.
        WARNING
        May be too intense for some viewers.
        Stress Relief Device
        ....BANG HEAD HERE....
        ---------------------------
        .--------------------------

Comment

I wouldn't direct ANY new players to DM,and I have this stern mindset that a seperate Clan Arena server, with its "Spawn with weapons" would enable players to garner a lot of practice learning the basic fundamentals of Quake,which are still point-shoot.

It would need to be a "Newbs and Helpers only" type server, so that certain players *cough PAT* wouldn't show up and use them all as a mop or rape-practice. (Last night case in point)
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Post A guide for each of the popular mods.
            And A guide to get the game running again on the new OS.
            many people don't read long texts. Videos might be better.
            Scout's Journey
            Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
              I wouldn't direct ANY new players to DM,and I have this stern mindset that a seperate Clan Arena server, with its "Spawn with weapons" would enable players to garner a lot of practice learning the basic fundamentals of Quake,which are still point-shoot.

It would need to be a "Newbs and Helpers only" type server, so that certain players *cough PAT* wouldn't show up and use them all as a mop or rape-practice. (Last night case in point)
              yes that is better yet spawn loaded hell give em shields!
              tie shield to stats so pat cant do it!
              i.e. long life many frags=no shield,small pak
              tiny penus tiny assist
              Last edited by bluntz; 08-09-2011, 11:38 AM.
              WARNING
              May be too intense for some viewers.
              Stress Relief Device
              ....BANG HEAD HERE....
              ---------------------------
              .--------------------------

Comment

Catering to the individual on each basis is easiest. I've helped ton's of Quakers over the years improve their game in the same way I was... first off, they need a config that suits them. I always recommend WASD, or ESDF depending on whats more comfortable for you,and INSIST on mouse use.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

@Ramp, I still have the old mtown progs.dat somewhere on backup....
                  But, I also have my recreation of Capture the Scrag too, and a pub ctf mod I made called G3CTF (GunsGutsGlory), all of which looks odd now-a-days...

Me, Frenzy and a couple other guys were playing SpeedBall, which received favorable remarks from first time players. Maybe I should make an option in CAx to lock modes so someone could host a SpeedBall only server...

Speaking of CAx, I started to make a sub mode called Elimination, but never finished it. The basic idea came from the CounterStrike:Source mod "GunGame".
                  Beginning of the match, everyone starts out with the same weapon, then as one kills opponents, his weapon shifts to another weapon of increased skill, finally down to the melee weapon. In Counterstrike it stars off with a pistol, to a sniper riffle, to a machinegun, shotty, etc, to knife.
                  The fun part though, is when you die during a round you become an observer only for as long as the guy who killed you remains alive. When that guy dies, everyone that he killed respawns back into the round with the same weapon level they died with. The round ends when no members of the same team remain.
                  I'm not sure how well this would translate to Quake though, as A.> the weapons in CS are mostly tracehits, and B.> GunGame has a ton of maps specifically designed for the mod.

Oh and yes pub TEAMDM pickup would be more fun to play than watching the same 8 dm players play all night
                  www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                    Oh and yes pub TEAMDM pickup would be more fun to play than watching the same 8 dm players play all night

Agree'd

Comment

We need the servers to send live feeds and track the players statistics and bring them directly onto the site on a leaderboard.
                      I was 80% of the way to getting this working (on servers.quakeone.com), but stopped and started on another project because i'm horrible with layout and web design.

If someone wanted to help me in that department (needs to know Javascript/Jquery/HTML) we could probably get this working.

-Joe

Comment

A couple of things I think would be helpful to new players would be to create a prominent place on the front page of this site... call it newbie central or something like that. Anyway put helpful configs in there and their definition on how to implement them. Also put helpful console commands (not the whole list) and what they do. Helpful binds and how to make them work... All this in layman terms of course. Identify runes in RQ, what they do and how to use them. Server Rules... how to vote on different things... Generally just make the game "easier" to play. Hell, I still need help when I haven't played in a long time... but then again... I'm easily confused.
                        *I chose the road less traveled... Now I don't know where the hell I am*
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Efess View Post
                          I was 80% of the way to getting this working (on servers.quakeone.com), but stopped and started on another project because i'm horrible with layout and web design.

If someone wanted to help me in that department (needs to know Javascript/Jquery/HTML) we could probably get this working.

-Joe
                          I'd be glad to help but I'm just learning the basic of javascript and jquery... website design i have down easy though.
                          QuakeOne.com
                          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Dilligaf View Post
                            A couple of things I think would be helpful to new players would be to create a prominent place on the front page of this site... call it newbie central or something like that. Anyway put helpful configs in there and their definition on how to implement them. Also put helpful console commands (not the whole list) and what they do. Helpful binds and how to make them work... All this in layman terms of course. Identify runes in RQ, what they do and how to use them. Server Rules... how to vote on different things... Generally just make the game "easier" to play. Hell, I still need help when I haven't played in a long time... but then again... I'm easily confused.

Rune Quake - A guide to RQ
                            Death Match - A guide to DM
                            Capture the Flag - A guide to CTF
                            Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 08-09-2011, 09:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                              I'd be glad to help but I'm just learning the basic of javascript and jquery... website design i have down easy though.
                              Well look at the javascript here: Real Time Server Browser (Work In Progress) and see if you feel comfortable adding/modifying it. There's a lot of state information flying around, and a lot of JSON data to maintain. Could be good learning for you too.

If serious, I can PM you with information

Comment

Working...
                              X