Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can we garner more interest in Quake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Teflon View Post
    There's scrims and the like, but good luck trying to find a decent public game. Its usually Clan Arena circlejerks or nothing at all.
    I've seen TDM, FFA, and CTF servers all full daily..

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage View Post
      I've seen TDM, FFA, and CTF servers all full daily..
      Really? Huh. Guess isn't not as dead as I've been told. That's what I get for just listening to people instead of actually playing it.

Comment

Kind of agree with the statement made about non-welcoming new players. For years they were outrightly shunned in this game by players who called them 'newbs'. You also got called a newb whcn you sensed someone cheating, and made a public statement about it. When you think about it, topics like this thread are very very rare, and while I appreciate its spirit, I just think if this community was more dedicated to getting new players, there would be more threads like this one more often. I think most know its like beating a dead horse at this point. You got some cancers in this game who wont ever change....and live for the day the community improves so they can thrash it to hell again.....thats about all they live for - sad, but thats part of our world tonight.

Comment

I shouldn't mention harboring known cheaters, huh?

There isn't some magical "Player Tree" , that we can all go "harvest". If any of you knows any PC gamers in real life, loan them a copy and hold them at gun point + demand they play netquake.

That will net some real results.... if thats too rash, exercise patience (I've been doing it since mid 2010!)

Wait on Baker, and just keep doing whatever it is your doing (coding,gaming,ruining CA games for TDM games,etc)

Fearing for the demise of Q1 is like being scared of 2012, a waste of your efforts. We're not going anywhere, and as long as guys like Avalanche and Slot-Zero keep running multi-port servers and providing mainstay servers (they've been active longer than you could imagine.....) , NetQuake isn't going to suffer some mysterious "ghost town" nonsense.... thats plum lunacy
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Like you say, every netgame besides quake has cheaters.....but I would not say they are harboring, because I think that means intentionally the community is allowing cheaters or knowingly letting them operate. I think the truth of the problem is that its like any other illegal activity....if there is a market for it, it will be exploited. Not that its against the law to cheat in quake, but like I said above, it compares to a cancer in that it needs healthy cells to exploit. Without any newcomers coming to the game, that kind of keeps the cancer feeding on whats left of the community, but the community now is smaller, and has built up an immunity , and its not as much fun with less players to beat on for the cheaters.

I look at this a lot deeper as a societal problem in our culture. Its like a cancer that propogates and replicates itself into anything man achieves really. Whenever there is a new invention, such as the internet for example, you can sit back and watch when it first comes out, its mind boggling and everyone flocks to use it, then you get people abusing it, such as span, viri , malware - the list goes on and on. Just about anything out there that is invented for the betterment of man, gets taken down by these cancer zombies, or whatever you want to call them, and it turns out to be something we all created just for them to control. What I see happening now as a result is people are just becoming stupider and stupider and its because
            theres no point inventing something that is really innovative anymore, because we already know its in the toilet because of what I just said. Societys only way to combat them is to let the global economy tank, and stay tanked. Im usually an optimist, but I dont see things changing for many many years, if it ever changes at all.

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
            I shouldn't mention harboring known cheaters, huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
              Kind of agree with the statement made about non-welcoming new players. For years they were outrightly shunned in this game by players who called them 'newbs'. You also got called a newb whcn you sensed someone cheating, and made a public statement about it. When you think about it, topics like this thread are very very rare, and while I appreciate its spirit, I just think if this community was more dedicated to getting new players, there would be more threads like this one more often. I think most know its like beating a dead horse at this point. You got some cancers in this game who wont ever change....and live for the day the community improves so they can thrash it to hell again.....thats about all they live for - sad, but thats part of our world tonight.
              If you look at the Doom and Quake communities, there's a HUGE difference. There's still a lot of fresh blood coming into the Doom community (IIRC the latest batch is about as old or younger than Doom 1 is) and a lot of active projects going around for both SP and MP. They're accepting of newbies for the most part and seem eager to help people learn things like ACS scripting and inserting custom sprites into the game.

Then look at the Quake 1 community. Right now, there's constant whining, no real notable projects coming out of it except for the occasional neato enhanced models, SP mapping is almost dead, MP is pretty much just DM3 with the occasional mod, good luck trying to find someone that'll help you learn how to mod and you get chewed out if you're a newbie. The Quake 1 community has become too focused on itself to reach out, which is a shame, because there's still a ton of potential with Quake 1 and there are plenty of mods that should be a lot more active than they currently are COUGHTHREEWAVECOUGH.

I don't think everything is lost, however. I think the community is just in a rut right now; it happens. Once the community stops whining so much that they fill up DM3's pool with their tears (thanks for that one Mind), I'm sure things will start to pick up. The hard part will be convincing people to try out new things.

Comment

Working...
              X