Why not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why not?

Why does this "invisible forcefield" continually stop anything larger than 4v4 from ever occuring in TDM?
    Are the brah's afraid of 5v5 or larger?Just an curious observation of why when a crowd intent on playing shows up,it doesn't matter if someone wants to play... captains stop picking at 4v4.

Don't even get me started on what happens if you just "designate yourself" to a team color

Someone explain this shit
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 10-02-2011, 04:09 PM.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

I'm not mainly a DM'er, but when I do play it, I prefer 3 on 3 at most. 4's is still ok, but I think it's a bit crowded on dm3. I wouldn't bother to play in a 5 on 5. Just not enough resources to accommodate ten players.

Comment

Thats the general response I recieved from everyone I've ever asked, and I don't buy the not enough resources arguement. This answer defers to that TDM *must* be played on DM3.

If this is the case, then isn't TDM doom'd to collapse under its own inability to provide continual access to all parties involved? I must admit when I show up at QuakeTX, and I am picked by Bruce (BRUCE!Shouts!Thx), I feel dirty because I'm being apart of the "If you didn't make the initial 8 selection, you're more than welcome to watch" type atmosphere.

These dynamics don't work torwards promotion of TDM, or NQ in general.

Is DM3 "The Abandoned Base" the problem?

The whole taking turns thing, is a facade. Turns took in 20 minute sessions . Some players (like me,or non-regulars)might go through 1 full hour and only play 1 game,thats not very appealing.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I made a turn-based mod a while ago.
        It made dodging rockets a real pain.
        And the grenade launcher became far too useful.

Taking turns sucks.
        Some Game Thing

Comment

HAH, that turn based mod sounds awesome. What ping?

Comment

I agree mindz. It is a problem. Wish I had a solution.

Comment

TDM is a lot slower than CTF, which is a nice alternative to when you just want to play a more relaxed game of strategy.
              CA is a quick game to warm up your aim.
              You can connect to zero.quakeone.com and vote the server into a DM pub pickup mode using the command CRMOD and then anyone who further connects will be joined into the game red vs blue style team dm. New players connecting to the server would be put on the team with lowest score or fewest members; just like in ctf CRCTF mode.
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Lenny and Retrocade continually conspire behind the scenes to make sure the 5th players do not get in and I for one am sick of it!

Comment

Havent tried that server in a while. Yea, its different , takes getting use to. No pickup items...looks like you can RJ and not take damage. Announces what client you connect with - neat. Nice slant with the team dm thing...but yea, one map kind of gets old fast. Other DM maps can likely handle 5-5, or can even try E1M2, which is small and good for DM. Also DM3 looks real bright with DP , especially the area near the plats. Noticed that a long time ago and it can be corrected but rest of maps look too dark...weird.

Comment

Working...
                  X