Shmack to close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shmack to close

As mentioned on front page of runequake.com, shmack is to close, and the website some time later.

I know some people think less of RQ, but it got me into playing multiplayer and coming back over the years. So, thanks Slot... uhh I mean Roderick... uhh I mean Nick. (Just kidding, Slot.)

Good times.

Wow. That's a blow. We'll get the server backed up ASAP. We have to let the shmack players know we'll keep the mod up for them. Or perhaps Slot will let one of us takeover the bill? I've already added this to the news.
    uakene.com

Comment

what...the fuck...

Comment

This pretty much marks the end of Quake1..

DM.quaketx.com will be the only server that has players sporadically playing..

Shmack was easily the most active daily/hourly over the last few years

Comment

More than willing to help foot the bill
          uakene.com

Comment

Nooooooooooooooooooo! Don't close!

Quake 1 MP can't die, that was one of the only servers I was able to drop right into and get a game going without having to wait!

Comment

i agree w/ frenzy and rampage....if we lose shmack we lose the only server that could bring in new players, as well as a staging area for quakers to meet up and then go to different servers......ima keep updated on this

Comment

Only thing that i will miss if shmack goes, is their 26001 port for rocket arena.

As i always played rocket arena there.

Shity deal.

Comment

Noooo! The only server that I actually ping below 80 on!

And what Lerster said, lol.

Oh, and Rampage, plenty of people are playing at rage.quakeone.com every day; I know I'm there multiple times a day playing with a bunch of people.

Comment

Anyone know what the current bill is? Where's it hosted? Can it be transferred to new ownership? I've been busy with work and pretty much "offline" for awhile lately... if someone can gather this information I can possibly look into chipping in or doing whatever it takes to keep it up.

If Slot is willing to transfer ownership of the shmack domain and server, depending on the current costs, I'll be willing to take it on to keep it alive... feel free to PM me details. I do not want to see this close

EDIT > I emailed Slot...
                    Last edited by Solecord; 10-04-2011, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Killzone Chicago has been online for a while running DM and not seeing any action. The server can be used to run the mod if you guys want.

Comment

Regaurdless of what happens to retain Shmack staying online, I really think everyone should think twice about taking on the torch slot has carried for so long.....

no offense to anyone who's ever offered hosting or DID host a quaker server, I just want to make sure the guy who carries the torch doesn't get 100ft carrying it and decide the damn things too heavy. If quake's balls was ever lobbed onto a chopping block,this is that moment......
                        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

let me remind everybody this isnt the first runequake server to go down, as long as there is enough interest in the community it will stay alive, people move on with other things etc. and ive seen alot of em come and go, widomaker, BDA, singed, tltq, shmack and so on since the beginning of runequake. |There will be a server set up for the mod and the people who want to play there will find it.

Comment

Look, anybody can host the mod. But Shmack is Shmack, hopefully Slot can transfer ownership, and if he's not willing, then I promise you the mod WILL stay up, it will just have a different dns for the most part. The name is what some players will remember, and that's how they will find it.

The server needs to remain as it is, admin free.
                            uakene.com

Comment

Agreed. Shmack is the only server i've never heard "admin abuse" about.

Comment

Working...
                              X