No announcement yet.

Shmack to close

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It comes to about $530 a year, dedicated hosting.

I've talked to Sole in PM about it, as I know he's talked to Slot-Zero, I haven't heard anything regarding a concrete decision?

I think the best option, really would be:

For HDz to host it out of Texas. I say this because HDz isn't going anywhere, plain and simple. As well, Texas is centralized.

If we (I say we meaning those of us who care, play there, or even have an opinion on the matter), just point the DNS to another server that somebody throws up, how long will that stay up? I myself have put up servers planning to keep them up for a long time, but inactivity on the server easily makes one rethink paying for something not being used.

HDz has shown concrete stability. Avalanche and Vis aren't gonna let the servers go anywhere. HDz's reputation is very good, and the servers are un-admin'd for the most part. On top of that, Zop is a key man in this I feel, as for future coding, I think he has every right to be a part of advancement if there is any, and Zop gets along with the HDz staff.

So does R00k, who is a very good admin (because he never admin's up!) But that's not why I mention him, he can code a sliding door over your asshole from a computer screen. This man's good. And when it comes to managing servers, Vis and R00k are my go-to guys.

Face it, these may not kill the community at all, but rebuild it. I haven't seen this many people want something from Quake in awhile. I think everybody should at least attempt to come together on this matter. Or give an opinion, what should come next?

One way or another, a solution is in order.

And peep this. On Rune Quake - A QuakeC Modification for Quake and Quakeworld there is a donation spot right on the front page, it's only like 18% paid, I pose a serious question when I ask, who will be willing to donate what?

I will start out with saying, not knowing if anybody else will help or not, that I will put down 100$ for this next year running, IF I get some words from some trustworthy peeps here that they will contribute as well and my $100 wouldn't go to waste.

That only leaves roughly $433 to get going. If we all just do what Slot has done for us, and give some donations, this conversation won't be in order until this time next year.

UPDATE FROM SLOT
    posted on www.runequake.com

"Several people have reached out offering support to keep the servers alive. If you would like to make a donation, please click the ChipIn button on the bottom left of this page or the top right button on the forum. If the ChipIn goal is not met, a full refund will be made to each person who donated. For a direct link to the ChipIn page, click here."
    Last edited by Frenzy; 10-04-2011, 11:19 PM.
    uakene.com

Comment

I Chip'd in... but I'm still crying like a little girl over this...
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

That sucks. I didnt get to play very often. So when I did, I always went to schmack. Always got frustrated with all the damn runes though. hehe
        If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

$246 out of $504 raised so far. That's only 5 donations, and I haven't had the time to throw mine in yet either. This is going well. Whoever is donating, you are incredible people.
          uakene.com

Comment

I just chipped in $20, but like I said - hdz can host these servers if needed.

Comment

I'm constantly joining shmack and informing people of what's going on, as well as directing them to these threads. Many seem more than eager to help out!
              Last edited by Quaker Oats; 10-05-2011, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Quaker Oats View Post
                I'm constantly joining shmack and informing people of what's going on, as well as directing them to these threads. Many seem than eager to help out!
                Hell yeah, a few of us have been. The bill is %48 paid!

Vis maybe we should look into what will happen if this year gets paid, and next year we'll be in the same spot!
                uakene.com

Comment

If it gets paid, Slot shouldn't change anything. No need in over complicating things.

If anything, this should open Slot's eyes to the support from the RQ community!
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

It appears that shmack has been saved!

I use Ubutnu 11.04 and Windows 7 on my Computer.

Comment

Working...
                    X