• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does quake work in windows 7 x64?

Does it work just as well?

Considering updating from vista x86.

I'm using Windows 7 x64 Pro.
    Ive tested DirectQ, ProQuake, Qrack, and DarkPlaces all working fine, while not even using compatibility mode.
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
      I'm using Windows 7 x64 Pro.
      Ive tested DirectQ, ProQuake, Qrack, and DarkPlaces all working fine, while not even using compatibility mode.
      Do you have a clean ISO I could get? All of the stuff on torrentz is filled with trojans. I just need a clean install of it.

Comment

Nvm, found one here: [link removed by admin]
        Last edited by Frenzy; 11-03-2011, 07:41 AM.

Comment

LOL legal? nO i BOUGHT AN oem VERSION FOR $95

Should an admin remove that link?
          Last edited by R00k; 11-01-2011, 10:25 AM.

Comment

I'm running GLQuake on Windows 7 x64 and it's working fine, but when I used GeForce it wouldn't work after getting ATi it started working.

Comment

It's legal [ name removed by admin: 7 day ban as I'm done warning you] . You pay for the CD Key, otherwise it is just trial software.

Any qualms about using Quake with 64 bits?
              Last edited by Frenzy; 11-03-2011, 07:45 AM.

Comment

Someone's getting angry.

Comment

I use win 7 home prem.

I got talked out of oem, because oem binds to your mainboard.

Meaning if you do the rip out board and replace with new board/cpu/ram.

You won't be able to use your orginal key with the oem again, whereas retail you can.

~Cheers.

PS: Quake runs fine as long as u use a recent client. I use proquake 4.x to 4.51, i have mixed experiences with both that's why i use either or depending how its behaving for me.

Comment

DarkPlaces has a native 64bit build that works fine. The other 32bit engines work fine with Windows' WOW64 subsystem, dipshit.

Comment

Legal Windows 7 Download Guide (assuming you have a key)
                      You've mentioned that

You are using Vista currently
                      want to upgrade / visited torrent sites / FAILED

YAH REAL LEGAL
                      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

The funny thing about having a key, is that if its a key on a computer.

All computers "brand name ones" come with OEM windows which are bound to that mainboard so your key is bound to the original OEM windows that was installed on that pc.

If you say downloaded another version of windows oem or otherwise, and attempt to use that key.

That is not legal... it may work for awhile but they have pretty good ways of discovering that key was used on a previous windows install... and they'll say hey this OEM that they tried to validate with this key is for that other oem that isn't presently installed.

Have fun with your pc rebooting.

Comment

This is why a constructive discussion cannot happen on these boards.

Comment

I have an OEM version, with an OEM installation DVD. From what I have read on the net, all installation DVDs contain ALL windows flavors on that single DVD. There is just a small file (ei.cfg) that determines the installed version. Removing that file, (or disabling it), will prompt the system builder with a menu to select the version they wish to install. This is fine and legal, if you buy the key for the installed version. Though, I assume the version will remain OEM. The "torrents" you are finding are universal installation ISOs of an OEM DVD. So just consider that, you will be stuck with that "Customer System" license and cannot upgrade your hardware significantly without reactivating the OS.

If you want to test the OS use this link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/cc442495 as it's straight from M$ themselves.
                            Last edited by R00k; 11-01-2011, 11:57 AM.

Comment

No problems whatsoever with Quake on Win7 x64; you might have problems with some graphics drivers (specifically detecting and using the 8-bit 3DFX extensions) but the game itself is rock-solid.

Windows 7 x64 itself will run a lot smoother than Vista x86, or even XP x86, on newer hardware. XP, despite being more lightweight, just wasn't made to take full advantage of multicore and larger amounts of RAM (and Vista's a dog, but then I didn't really need to say that).
                              IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X