Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Curious

Hello

I worked all winter long last year on a Quake level. I think it's okay, however most mappers are partial to their own work.

The level is different in that all monsters (160) are awakened at once and stalk the player (edit: after 3 minutes). Some people have put the level down because it's very complex; they told me they always have the feeling they're "lost".

It's also a bit crude because I used Qoole to make it (I never had the patience to learn the Worldcraft interface), but there is colored lighting and an intricate teleporter system that the monsters will use to find the player.

In this map, the idea is to kill all 160 of the baddies before a set time limit. If the time limit is passed and there's still a monster in the level somewhere then you're beamed out of the game and shown a taunt screen. Once they're all dead the intermission screen will show the player as being promoted to a new "rank", the skill level is increased by a notch and the game starts over. Of course the object of the game is to beat it in a record time.

Being aware of how little a maze-style map is liked there are maps in high resolution that show the player where he is. It's a bit hard at first but the level is actually quite easy to learn and very fun to play.

My question was, without posting it in a respected or well known place such as this site, are there other places it could possibly be published that are less picky about scenery?
    Last edited by Pvt. Gerpsnot; 12-11-2011, 05:53 AM.

You'd prob be better off posting it here.

As there are lots of people on this site that do play map mods, and such.

An you'd prob get more response here as well, as well as if some of the more "noticable" ppl on here, liked it they may post it with screens on the main page.

~Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by Lerster View Post
      You'd prob be better off posting it here.

As there are lots of people on this site that do play map mods, and such.

An you'd prob get more response here as well, as well as if some of the more "noticable" ppl on here, liked it they may post it with screens on the main page.

~Cheers.
      How would that be done anyway? Thanks for your prompt reply, btw.

Edit#1: I think I found out how to upload, not sure if it's gonna work.

Edit#2: Lol this map will probably be laughed out of the park. I went to the downloads section and there are too many maps that are well-made. They'll not want to lower their standards for my level, so the original question still stands....

... namely, does anyone know of another (less picky) site where a person can upload their work?
      Last edited by Pvt. Gerpsnot; 11-16-2011, 06:51 PM.

Comment

just post your map anywhere, and post some screen shots via upload shots to some image shack or whatever site, and just copy the forum img code to paste here.

Same with the map, fileswap.com is good for small file uploads. Just toss it in ur post the link. Copy/paste. done.

As i said before there are lots of people on this site that do play the single player maps, and if they enjoy it they would likely make a section about it.

Or you could always contribute and make a guide to "the tool" you used... i'm too lazy to scroll up, for future map editing pplz.

~Cheers, goodluck.

Comment

Quaketastic.com is a file hoster for Quake-related stuff. You can simply upload it there. As it's only a file archive, it isn't picky at all.

The magic word is ilovetheshubhub.

Do post a link here though. You could also post it at inside3D.com forums in the "What are you working on" thread.

I'd like to give it a try. I'm sure others would as well.

Is there some custom QuakeC code to your project? If so, people at inside3D would definitely be interested.

Even so, post it - I'll play it.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Thanks for the tips, guys. I guess it doesn't get any easier than Fileswap so I uploaded it there. The link is:

FileSwap.com : EP_11-01-11.EXE download free

I used the Microsoft Iexpress program to archive the files, it compresses better than traditional archivers. It's a self-extractor and you can point it to c:\quake\id1\maps.

The files inside are:

extraction.bsp
            extraction.lit
            extraction.txt

If you'd feel safer downloading a conventional .ZIP archive, it's located here:

http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/fi...extraction.zip

...and the docs are at:

http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/fi...raction_01.txt

Note: you may have to right-click and choose "Save as" to download the zip archive.

Screenshots:

Northeast sector:

Shot at 2011-11-17

Central Supply (2nd map location):

Shot at 2011-11-17
            Last edited by Pvt. Gerpsnot; 11-17-2011, 05:22 PM. Reason: Addition of screenshots

Comment

P.S. Send me a demo! My record time is 4:52.

Comment

It's not bad at all. The main feature of the level, ie the fact it's a maze, is also its main weakness though. Personally I like more typical find-the-key gameplay better.

Anyway, good job. I played it three or four times, forgot to record a demo, but I hope to provide one still :-) Unfortunately I always die eventually, usually because I run out of ammo or something. There is probably a trick to finishing it quickly.

Coloured lighting is nice. I also liked the quirky humour. The parts that are not maze were actually pretty good, so I'd really like to see a more typical SP level from you sometime.

Have you tried the Quake mod Qonquer? It's a survival mod that spawns more and more monsters in the map (in waves) and the goal is to survive as long as possible. The maps are specifically made for the mod. I was slightly reminded of that even though it is different.

Qonquer
                Scout's Journey
                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt. Gerpsnot View Post
                  P.S. Send me a demo! My record time is 4:52.
                  Could you please post a link to this demo you speak of. I will download your map & demo and make a nice QUAD HD movie for you

Originally posted by Magnus
                  Apology accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                    It's not bad at all. The main feature of the level, ie the fact it's a maze, is also its main weakness though. Personally I like more typical find-the-key gameplay better.

Anyway, good job. I played it three or four times, forgot to record a demo, but I hope to provide one still :-) Unfortunately I always die eventually, usually because I run out of ammo or something. There is probably a trick to finishing it quickly.

Coloured lighting is nice. I also liked the quirky humour. The parts that are not maze were actually pretty good, so I'd really like to see a more typical SP level from you sometime.

Have you tried the Quake mod Qonquer? It's a survival mod that spawns more and more monsters in the map (in waves) and the goal is to survive as long as possible. The maps are specifically made for the mod. I was slightly reminded of that even though it is different.

Qonquer
                    Thanks This level is basically an expanded "Dimension of the Dim" (on Quaddicted), but with wormholes, taunt screens and time-limits. Same concept, though.

The trick to beating it is to study the map layout and plan routes to collect ammo; how to best use the Quad (combined with the element of surprise), and basically get back to the upstairs area where you can feed the rest some pineapples and have your smoke.

@ Turtlevan; I could post the 4:52 demo here but it would be too much of a spoiler. Instead, here's a walkthrough type demo where I revealed some of the more important tactical shortcuts, weapons and power-up locations. I hope I didn't reveal too much

Here's the link:

http://www.quaketastic.com/upload/fi...alkthrough.zip

NOTE: If you'd like, I can send the 4:52 demo on request. My email is [email protected], or you can send me a PM on here.

To go on, yes I like "survival" style maps with many active enemies. I'll download that mod and give it a try, thanks for the tip! I like the puzzle-aspect of gameplay as much as the next guy (keys and such), I just don't like the fact that every time I play a level I know the monsters will always be in the same place waiting to ambush me. In EP, no two sessions are ever quite alike and I find that this dampens the monotony factor somewhat.

I don't think I'll make another level, though (and the crowd cheers).
                    Last edited by Pvt. Gerpsnot; 11-20-2011, 02:37 AM. Reason: added link to walkthrough.dem

Comment

Okay I caved.

Here is a Quake movie of the 4:52 demo I made. Now if I can figure out how to post the thing..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rnq_Yd7beRc[/ame]

The "monsters moving through walls" bug is evident in the video (watch the scrag battle closely)
                      Last edited by Pvt. Gerpsnot; 12-04-2011, 08:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pvt. Gerpsnot View Post
                        Okay I caved.

Here is a Quake movie of the 4:52 demo I made. Now if I can figure out how to post the thing...
                        Upload to FileFront, Megaupload or whatever and post a link here.

[I wouldn't be too concerned about criticism of your level ... that kind of advice is actually an asset. Making a beginner level map is important, but growing beyond that is priceless.]
                        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I think I got it. I used the long embed link from YouTube. Thanks Baker.

My mapping was always plagued by the Q word.

P.S. Speaking of curse words, you may want to ask Jack "Scragbait" Meacher (Scragbait's Estates, Hhouse, Trevail etc) what HE thinks about Qoole.

That was one hell of a mapper.
                          Last edited by Pvt. Gerpsnot; 12-04-2011, 08:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                            [I wouldn't be too concerned about criticism of your level ... that kind of advice is actually an asset. Making a beginner level map is important, but growing beyond that is priceless.]

I don't wear red armor for nothing

Comment

What Baker says is true, you can draw helpful things from any criticism, also many people who comment on the web can't put too much time in and forget to put on their diplomacy at times. Also criticism often sounds harsher in written from than it actually is. You've got to filter it and take the useful stuff out of any reaction.

Cheers.
                              Scout's Journey
                              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                              X