Quake 1 deathmatch mods, etc.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake 1 deathmatch mods, etc.

Hey all -- hope I'm posting this in the right place; looks like as a good a forum as any....

I've been playing more Q1 of late (tired of Quake Live!) -- of course playing Q1 these days is largely conning my wife into playing on the home network!

Anyway, I was hoping someone might have some advice here; I never had to set up mods / change settings myself back in the day, as servers had already done so.

1) Does anyone know if a mod (still) exists out there for the grappling hook only? Preferably not that early one where you couldn't move if someone hit you.

2) Is there a way to decrease respawn time for weapons (or make them stay permanently) through the console, or would I need a mod for this?

3) Any advice on the best bots (I've been using reaper again, but they are so buggy)

4) Any chance there's a mod that combines all of the above?!

Sorry for all the Q's, it's just getting harder to find all the old add-ons -- guess that's what 15 years will do to a game. ... I wish there were some normal FFA servers that still attracted players!

Thanks!

Reading around more I've managed to answer some of my own questions. I tried those frog bots, but they were just way too difficult even at the lower settings (guess that means I suck!). The omnicron (or whatever they're called) bots seem to work pretty well, and I can use "deathmatch 3" mode w/ them. I still haven't found any good standalone grappling hook mod (I just want the CTF hook by itself).

If anyone is even reading, does anyone know if there is a way to combine a grappling hook mod with, say, the omnicron bot mod? Obviously the bots wouldn't be able to use the hooks, but it would be fun to have hooks available while playing against bots.

-Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Dark View Post
      If anyone is even reading, does anyone know if there is a way to combine a grappling hook mod with, say, the omnicron bot mod? Obviously the bots wouldn't be able to use the hooks, but it would be fun to have hooks available while playing against bots.

-Cheers

Likely, there is a grapple only mod living in this archive somewhere:

Index of /pub/idgames2

Combining mods isn't possible in Quake, Quake runs the game logic via a progs.dat file: and either you run a grapple mod progs.dat or a bots progs.dat. If you want to get your hands really dirty in coding QuakeC you could probably using a QuakeC decompiler to decompile the Omnicron bot (which is a closed-source mod as far as I know) and find the source to a grapple mod and manually add the grapple feature in and recompile, but that'd be a ton of work.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Your grappling hook mod:

Index of /pub/idgames2/quakec/misc

Is hook23.zip in the above folder ^^^

(According the read me ... http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames2/q...isc/hook23.txt at least it looks that way. There are a few other grappling hook mods in there too, like hook30b2 and grappler, etc.)
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Hey, thanks y'all for the links. I didn't realize there was anything left of the old CDROM ftp site's content -- good to know. In the meantime, at least I've found some bots I like -- the omicron is a vast improvement over reaper of course. These are the only guys I can play deathmatch with anymore!!

Comment

Working...
          X