monitors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• monitors

do people still use crt monitors, im looking to get a lcd monitor for gaming, ive always used crt so i dont know which to get, i dont need a giant monitor either,

i have a nvidia gt 440

lols, i stopped using those old huge and heavy things years ago.

i myself have dual-screen setup, with a 25" HP 2510i at 1920x1080 main and an LG flatron wide 14" at 1440x900 as secondary.

love the 25" i have, great monitor, got it from my mums for xmas last year
    great monitor which is big, but not so big that its annoying and you have to look left and right all the time

do intend to get another 27" monitor myself which has res of 2560x1440, and instead have that one as main and the 25" as secondary
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I personally havent used a actual monitor in along time. I use a Sony LED HD 32" tv as my monitor.. Looks great for gaming. I have a Acer 23" widescreen LCD as well but i rarely use it anymore unless i plug up my laptop to it for watching movies.. Other then that, flat panels are great!

Comment

@wicked
        yes totally agree, flat panel screens are great
        would never wanna go back to those old ugly and heavy CRT things
        they suck compared to flat panels

i have been thinking of getting a tv to use as monitor myself as well, but im sitting to close to my screen to make that worth it.
        any bigger then what i have now will only get annoying.

im sitting just barely 2 feet from my screens, so any bigger screens will not look better but only become annoying cuz i wont be able to see a thing and keep having to look left and right to be able to see everything on my screen
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I just bought a mitsubishi wd 82" 3D panel for just under $2600 after tax and extended warranty.. I freaking love it!!! My wife had to rearrange our living room so we could see the entire screen... I havent plugged my pc into it but im wanting too!!!!

Comment

holy fucking shit, 82 inch?

thats insane, didnt even know there were those huge monitors available to anything different then big companies

and i thought that the 52" tv my mums got last week to replace her broken tv was huge

and yours is even nearly twice as big

Comment

Yea man its great.. Just wish i was home more to enjoy it.. Im looking at buyin this new pc off new egg.. 8core!!! Ill get specs on it later and post. Its only 1250$!!

Comment

neato, knew there was hexacore but didnt know 8core has been made too already

Comment

My plans are to get something of this nature or better

Mobo- asus crosshair v formula am3 990fx 6gb/s usb 3.0 atx amd gamin moboard..
                  Gfx card - xfx hd 695x cnfc radeon hd 6950 2gb 266bit gddr5 pci exp 2.1 x16 hdcp w/ eyefinity
                  Cpu/processor - amd fx8150 zambezi 3.6ghz sock am3+ 125 8 core processor
                  Memory - corsair vengeance 8gb 240pin ddr3 sdram 1600 pc3 12800

Then i will hook up to the 82inch haha!!! All that for only $1,248.00 and i might order it today if my wifes cool with it..

Comment

lol. sounds good

eww on the ati videocards though, hate ATI cards, they're total junk imo

and why would you only go for 8GB ram? i have 12 myself

if you're going all out, why not go all out for the memory as well and go with at least 12gb?

Comment

I have the option to upgrad.. I have a pc already with 16 that has been at alienware manufacturing on a recall for almost 4 months so im using my wifes pc for now which is decent.. The recall on my pc was a fire hazard issue i had it custom built for gaming. I was issued a refund until they correc the problem. So i doubt ill want that pc back when its offered to me after the repairs at half the cost. I will just buy everything seperate and go about doing it myself.. Its cheaper that way.. Also ati i have had good experiences with them forever.. Never had any issues as far back as i can remember.. Ive tried other brands but i keep fallin back to the atis...

Comment

I wonder how long it takes to compile one of my current maps (with fullvis and all) on an 8-core. Would it be 8 times faster?
                        Scout's Journey
                        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

@wicked
                          for me its the exact opposite, once had an ati years ago, and it only caused me trouble and such, i ended up replacing it with a geforce as quickly as possible cuz it was really annoying. and ive always stayed with nvidia, never had probs with them personally

@gb
                          thats actually a quite good question...
                          although i would think not, since quake clients dont use multi-threading. but i could be wrong on wether it makes much difference.

however personally i noticed more difference in speed of compiling of maps when i upgraded from HDD to SSD then i did when i upgraded from single to quadcore

Comment

Have played on a samsung 2233rz (120hz) LCD for a few years, one of the best for gaming (high fps like quake). It's shines when you are a fan of reduced graphics (gl_picmip 3 or equivalents) though I noticed some ghosting with simple items in Q3 for example.
                            However, I bought myself a 19'' Sony G420, absolute awesome for Quake since I play with "normal" gfx like with (mostly) default settings and the blurring all LCDs have is rather tiresome for the eyes (and annoying).

Comment

Originally posted by leopold View Post
                              Have played on a samsung 2233rz (120hz) LCD for a few years, one of the best for gaming (high fps like quake). It's shines when you are a fan of reduced graphics (gl_picmip 3 or equivalents) though I noticed some ghosting with simple items in Q3 for example.
                              However, I bought myself a 19'' Sony G420, absolute awesome for Quake since I play with "normal" gfx like with (mostly) default settings and the blurring all LCDs have is rather tiresome for the eyes (and annoying).
                              Yes. Ive always used a crt for picture quality etc. I dont really mind the size. Lcds are pretty close as far as picture quality goes these days though. But it took awhile.
                              If you see 427 playing Quake thats me.

Comment

Working...
                              X