No announcement yet.

Intentionally glitched mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about a rocket that when you shoot it has a 10% chance of turning around and chasing you?

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
      O.O - you have great ideas but they all require a masters degree in QC lol. You also have a passion for multiplication (LOL). How about we just make it to where everything is out to get you and if you even so much as shoot it it doubles, including the walls and everything. You start off in a room with one door and a dog. As soon as you start shooting things it starts building the map and adding monsters.
      lol that would be awesome,.. now somebody make it!!

Comment

I'll consider this thread my little side hobby. As I get time I will make an effort to make some of this stuff.

So far the shambler one I mentioned, maybe the lavaballs one and bloodshots unpredictable rocket are the 3 (and only 3) that I am going to focus on right now. Really, the first step is to make a decent map that reflects the "screwed upness" of Break Quake. That will set the tone and give me an area to work in with the above mentioned mods. maybe it could even be something as simple as a big room with a lavapit in the center, a shambler and some rockets & launcher. Then again maybe that's what could set break Quake apart from other Quakes...it's just a really F'd up room with way too much crap attacking you and the goal is to beat the room. Then maybe a slipgate or teleport appears and you are off to the next room, where you are faced with a completely different set of Break Quake mods.

No storyline, no quest - just room after room of original screwed up content, where the only goal is to stay alive and everything hates you, including the map and your very own weapons. "Is that armor gonna kill me?" who knows, pick it up and find out. Maybe it will only kill you 12 percent of the time, maybe it will only give you 1 extra health and spawn 4 demons surrounding you 1 foot away.

I'll build a map tonight after I eat some dinner
        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

too much? lol

Comment

Bookshelf floors, every wall is a badly tiled window, with absolutely no regard for any coherent mapping convention created this decade....

...I like.

Comment

LMAO!!! Don't forget that the structure that supports everything and borders the lava pool is grass.

actually I was just messin around, but I liked the tiled windows for walls so I retextured it and got this

and this

I know it ain't fantastic but I just needed a room with some lava that I could throw a shambler and some rockets in, so I can start making the mods.

EDIT: I'm gonna get rid of the lavapit in the middle of the floor and make lava ?urns?. I can prefab 'em and have the lava balls jump out of those. maybe even have them initially capped with func_platforms and have a trigger and a nutty path make it look like the lid fell off. Probably gonna have to dig around in hipnotic source for some rotating platform code.
              Last edited by MadGypsy; 03-01-2012, 12:35 AM.

Comment

There should be a glitch where the menu pops up for no reason every 5 seconds.

Comment

actually the way I' approaching this, I'm gonna stay away from glitch mods that ruin gameplay.

Lavaballs that chase you
                  Spawn Power Shambler
                  unpredictable rockets

stuff like this can make the game interesting without making the game just a big joke that everyone loses interest in in 5 seconds. I have some other ideas and my little posted map pic is no indication of how my actual rooms will look.

I made that room in minutes. I built 1/4 of it and used the paste special feature to "spin" the other 3/4's in. I'm definitely gonna put more effort into my actual maps than that.

Comment

Quad Damage's that reduce your damage to a quarter of normal.
                    Invisibility rings that actually alert all monsters to your location.
                    Armor that doubles the damage you take (cursed).
                    Ammo boxes that steal your ammo (dirty thieves!).
                    Invincibility that kills you or reduces your health to 10% (ouch!).
                    Teleporters that kill you or reduces your health to 10% (transporter accident?)
                    Grenades and Rockets that misfire and explode instantly.
                    Shotgun randomly fires a dud (wet shells).

This is fun!
                    Regular One Man Slaughterhouse

Comment

Lots of fun could happen with 'dud' weapons. nailgun could occasionally blip out bubble sprites, a grenade could turn into a gib instead of detonate. maybe even shamblers just electrocute themselves and die, or scrags abruptly start flying around at high speed, making the sound of a balloon rapidly deflating, then explode.

I feel kinda bad doing all this brainstorming without knowing a damn thing about quakec or progs.dat modifying. so if any of these concepts seem too outlandish forgive me

Comment

I feel kinda bad doing all this brainstorming without knowing a damn thing about quakec or progs.dat modifying
                        I know 5% more than you do. It's not about knowing anything. It's about having the desire to accomplish something and the confidence to try. I'm in Shambler.qc right now and I'm finding it difficult to determine where to begin, but that isn't going to stop me.

What did the Wright brothers KNOW about flying, beyond what they could gather from looking at a bird?

What did Franklin KNOW about electricity beyond the fact that there were sparks in the sky that seemed to be attracted to metal.

If you want to make glitch mods. Make glitch mods. I can even help you get started right here.

read my Become a Quake Modder thread. This actually started as me just trying to give you a head start, but after like 20 edits it became a BIG head start, so I moved it to it's own thread so maybe other people can find it easy.

cheers,
                        Gypsy
                        Last edited by MadGypsy; 03-01-2012, 08:30 PM.

Comment

stole the words from my mouth, Gypsy! Ofcourse from a different perspective. I'm a indie gamedev guy (without the ironic beard and woody allen glasses) and quite often tell people the same thing about game making. I never have a clue how I do what I do, not until I do it. then usually I forget quite quickly

I'll look into your guide, its high time i learn how to mod

Comment

I can't stop LOL. I have added a set-up guide and an explanation on FGD's, as this seems like something that isn't covered at all in any of the tutorials that I included in the "developer package"

Cool, maybe since you already know how to do some game stuff and you are going to learn how to mod, we can work together to make Break Quake. I wasn't kidding when I said i know 5% more than you. You can probably catch up to me really quick.

You are some thinks and floats away from knowing as much as i do (once you get a pipeline set up). The "dev pack" that i posted is the one I use and it works for me. If it works for you we will be an education away from creating an entire game.

Gypsy

Comment

Working...
                            X