Am I too oldskool?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I too oldskool?

So the past few days I've realised that the whole multiplayer Quake community has left me in the dust.

I won't claim to be of Thresh or Gohan-like status, but I can hold my own in a game of UT2003/4 or HL2 Deathmatch. I'm, competent.

But the past couple days I've felt like the quad-amputee dog thrown into a room full of carnivourous chimpanzees, tweaked out on angel-dust: Horrified, confused, yet slightly arroused...

My Quake DM "bread and butter" was the original, out-of-the box DM, with no runes or grappling hooks or voting systems. I DM'ed before I even had the internet by direct-calling my friend's computer.

Oldskool maybe, but my tradition has become a liability :-) I guess all I'm saying is "ohmigawd! I am like.. so outa shape!"

So if you ever find me just standing there, gazing at a medkit, or grappling-hooking down into a pool of lava, don't pity me. Be merciless and force me to adapt!

The old man,
    -Amon

P.S: Anyone do Co-Op anymore?

i'm so DOSquake bred, I actually attempted to make a QIP-Quake-based engine that restores Quake v1.01's tiddybits like brown-tint menu background (instead of the awful "black mesh") and 360x wide "tweaked" modes done by simple pixel stretching.

It didn't get far

Comment

You can train with me if you want.

There is a co-op like server, but its not just old skool co-op. The monsters are way more advanced, and there are different classes to pick from. Its called Future Vs. Fantasy Quake. The address is fvf.servequake.com

Comment

Originally posted by Amon26
        So the past few days I've realised that the whole multiplayer Quake community has left me in the dust.
        Not really, just a lot of incremental changes that make the game more fun.

They have coop going on at fvf.servequake.com sometimes and full-time at coop.runequake.com:26003
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by CheapAlert
          i'm so DOSquake bred, I actually attempted to make a QIP-Quake-based engine that restores Quake v1.01's tiddybits like brown-tint menu background (instead of the awful "black mesh") and 360x wide "tweaked" modes done by simple pixel stretching.

It didn't get far
          While I don't yearn for DOSQuake days, I refused to switch away from DOSQuake until 2002. It actually took ProQuake cheat-free for me to download and use another client. Once I tried GL, I never went back to DOSQuake.

I played around once with the ToChris software engine someone pointed out at QuakeTerminus just to see what improvements could be added to the software renderer.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I used to use q95.bat, until I found out that there were cheat-free servers. Then I switched to WINPROQUAKE and used that until about a month from now. I switched to GL so I could turn off some of the annoying things you can't turn off in Win.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
              They have coop going on at fvf.servequake.com sometimes and full-time at coop.runequake.com:26003
              nice of you to mention my server

Comment

I'm on FVF all the time.

Comment

I'm actually not a huge deathmatch player, and play little to no Quake multiplayer, although I am a big time Doomer (or was).
                  "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

I still have two zip files of old FVF 2.x versions

Comment

I will play any kind of quake mod... Doesn't matter to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Amon26

I won't claim to be of Thresh or Gohan-like status, but I can hold my own in a game of UT2003/4 or HL2 Deathmatch. I'm, competent.

But the past couple days I've felt like the quad-amputee dog thrown into a room full of carnivourous chimpanzees, tweaked out on angel-dust: Horrified, confused, yet slightly arroused...

My Quake DM "bread and butter" was the original, out-of-the box DM, with no runes or grappling hooks or voting systems. I DM'ed before I even had the internet by direct-calling my friend's computer.

Oldskool maybe, but my tradition has become a liability :-) I guess all I'm saying is "ohmigawd! I am like.. so outa shape!"

So if you ever find me just standing there, gazing at a medkit, or grappling-hooking down into a pool of lava, don't pity me. Be merciless and force me to adapt!

The old man,
                        -Amon

you're not alone!

Comment

Most people who play DM nowadays are T3H 3L1t3.

Comment

Working...
                          X