DarkPlaces + CROSSFIREX !!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DarkPlaces + CROSSFIREX !!!!!!!

HOLY GRAPE SPAM!!!! So, I had been messaging LordHavoc off and on about helping me get DarkPlaces utilizing dual gpu setup's, and after my trial and error, LordHavoc's trial and error, he told me he would contact his AMD guy,and the next day (TO Fn DAY!) there was RE:

First, for any engine coders out there , this was referenced :

http://developer.amd.com/gpu_assets/...CrossFireX.pdf

Originally posted by From AMD guy, quoted by LordHavoc
    [15:17] <LordHavoc> oh man what an answer
    [15:17] <LordHavoc> I wrote to that amd guy
    [15:18] <LordHavoc> CrossFire does work in OpenGL, but by default,we whitelist well behaved titles whereas DX (all) blacklists badlybehaved applications. Thus, by default, your application won't run incrossfire unless it's on the whitelist. If you're confident that yourapplication is well behaved from a crossfire point of view, then tryrenaming it to AFR-FriendlyOGL.exe (or minus the .exe on Linux) and it should just
    [15:18] <LordHavoc> work. If it doesn't, or if it scales really poorly (ornegatively), then your application may be doing something 'bad' andwe'll need to build a profile for it.
    [15:18] <LordHavoc> so err, the solution is to rename darkplaces.exeto AFR-FriendlyOGL.exe
    [15:19] <LordHavoc> going to have to try this
    [15:44] <LordHavoc> 113.8526613 fps, vs 99fps otherwise
    [15:44] <LordHavoc> so that definitely works
    [15:44] <LordHavoc> probably helps more with texture packs and other stressful settings
    [16:31] <LordHavoc> two features that must be off for good performance:
    [16:31] <LordHavoc> r_motionblur 0
    [16:31] <LordHavoc> r_coronas_occlusionquery 0
    [16:31] <LordHavoc> the latter has a *severe* impact on performance
    [16:32] <LordHavoc> if it's on it completely disables crossfire when a dlight is on screen
    and the answer is YES! It does, check out these screenshots.... 1st is crossfire off, 2nd is crossfire on.

vs

and

vs

and

vs

I am going to presume the same can be applied to Qrack, or any other OpenGL engine. I'll be testing on Qrack next fok.
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 05-27-2012, 04:00 PM.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

while standing in front of that Window on start map, I experience a serious "delay" if standing still, and then I attempt to move, I can tell my system is being taxed hard.

but when I enabled the 2nd gpu, that entire "stand in front of window / then try moving" is instantaneous, no more lag. This was with everything availible for download at quakeone.com relating to DarkPlaces addon PK3 files. Pretty water + RTLighting = no problem!
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 05-27-2012, 03:56 PM.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

How?

Hello Mindf!3ldzX,
      Great, Wow - how this is possible??

And please - my english is not so good!

Comment

rename darkplaces.exe to AFR-FriendlyOGL.exe , and if you use shortcuts you'll need to update those to reflect the filename change.

Comment

UNHoly Shit ! It DOUBLED your FPS?
          Now I KNOW I am getting another 6850!
          WARNING
          May be too intense for some viewers.
          Stress Relief Device
          ....BANG HEAD HERE....
          ---------------------------
          .--------------------------

Comment

neato

will darkplaces work with nvidia's SLI too?

curious as ive been thinking about getting a second GTX580, and it would be awesome if darkplaces would work with sli too so ill have better fps in darkplaces too thanx to sli
            are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
            > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
            everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Originally posted by bluntz View Post
              UNHoly Shit ! It DOUBLED your FPS?
              Now I KNOW I am getting another 6850!
              Scaling on AMD cards is Phenomenal. There's your proof right there.

Comment

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                neato

will darkplaces work with nvidia's SLI too?

curious as ive been thinking about getting a second GTX580, and it would be awesome if darkplaces would work with sli too so ill have better fps in darkplaces too thanx to sli
                I am a complete newb when it comes to SLI. I would presume there should be workarounds like there is for AMD cards.

Comment

I don't think it does more than 4x on second gpu for Sli.
                  WARNING
                  Stress Relief Device
                  ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

thats neglible. the boost in fps you witnessed in those screenshots came from a dual pci-e 2.0 x16 lanes, but one of the lanes only has x4 pci-e 2.0 bandwidth.

I've never noticed any issue's with the scaling even with the x16/x4 arrangement.

Comment

Sweet,I did not bother with a second GPU because mine has the same 4x limit on the second slot as well.I am amazed it did not matter.If you look at LH results they seem to suggest that he only got a small boost in fps (4) like I was expecting.If I were you I would immediately backup that catalyst folder!To a CD no less.What vers of the driver and OS are you using?
                      WARNING
                      Stress Relief Device
                      ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

I am unsure of his setup for darkplaces, as he admitted he isnt running the custom content he isnt taxing his system as much. I'll run a no-addons test later tonite.

Comment

vs

this is clearly showing that the different loads of content on the engine equates different scaling.

The scaling difference between DirectQ is off-the-fucking-charts / o_O

vs
                          Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 05-27-2012, 08:16 PM.

Comment

What GPU do you have?I get a bit better than your that in DP with all the bling on at rest I am getting this,@ 1280x1024 75hz

I wouldlove to double it though.And OMFG DQ is off the reservation!
                            I could even afford to run that shit in a virtual box and still get 1000 fps.
                            That is just sick!
                            Last edited by bluntz; 05-27-2012, 08:27 PM.
                            WARNING
                            Stress Relief Device
                            ....BANG HEAD HERE....

Comment

5770's , they are identical asus versions. that would make sense because two 5770's = one 5870. so I would presume a 6850 would blow both my 5770s out of the water. two 6850's would rock something ferocious.

I also run dual desktops, which I have noticed whenever its just me and if I disable the 2nd desktop, and run with only 1 monitor that I can get another boost in peformance.

Comment

Working...
                              X