Quake + light RPG elements?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake + light RPG elements?

A while back I had the honor of being the tester for RemakeQuake and saw a lot of really incredible ideas and settings in it. I probably shouldn't disclose any specific details but it inspired some really interesting ideas in my head including the following.

What if a quake1 mod came out that didn't focus so much on hi-end graphic effects but added to the stock-style with some mild almost invisible RPG style elements? Items and goods that fit in well with the already established style of quake?

For example, for each weapon slot (nailgun/shotgun/axe/RL) there were around 12 types of guns for, but you could only carry one kind. I.E the shotgun slot could have a slow automatic shotgun, incendiary shotgun, flare-blast. Nailgun could have explosive nailgun, poison nailgun, berzerker nailgun. melee slot could be axe, knight's sword, hammer.

Each monster drops randomized loot, food, medicine, different kinds of armor.

No EXP-points but reward the player's ability to explore non-mission specific areas of maps full of beasts with treasures hidden in deep catacombs. Create stages with odd requirements like delivering the severed head of a shambler to an altar.

Iduno, just stuff ive been thinking about. Making a mod that encourages exploration and randomizes the hazards a bit. Maybe it already exists? FVF was a neat idea but i felt it broke away from the Quake formula a bit too much.

The idea to introduce loot and so forth was the straw that broke the camel's back, sort of, for RMQ. It was considered too RPG-ish for Quake.

I'm now doing that in RMQ's successor, Scout's Journey, but that's not a Quake mod anymore because it dropped *all* id software assets a while ago.

I'd still like to see that in some Quake mod of course. I'm convinced that it would work brilliantly.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

When I first played quake I wanted to steal the enmies guns like the ogre's grenade launcher etc.

allow dropping maybe money to buy things
      During intermission
      Last edited by R00k; 12-06-2012, 08:56 PM.
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

me too rook! Also the idea of one-use weapons. like an ogre's grenade launcher can't be replinished and only has 3 grenades, or an enforcer's blaster slowly melts over use

and yeah that's what i was trying to be indirect about Goldenboy I wasnt sure how under wraps all that stuff was. The military stuff is cool but I like to imagine Quake as something more formless, scratchy, abstract.

Like the very reality of it happening might all just be inside the head of the protagonist. Like some horrible jacob's ladder like meltdown.

That or some kind of ageless crucible that's lured humans into its bowels for eons. Consuming the weak and rewarding the strongest with total control. Maybe Shub Niggurath was once a mortal that has mutated with age and dark magic in the belly between the dimensions only living to hope he/she may be bested, relinquish control and die. Quake itself is just a dark dream by dead gods with no end or beginning.

Well, that got off topic but you see what i'm getting at? lots of room for exploration and majorly creepy discoveries with this kind of mod.

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
          allow dropping maybe money to buy things
          During intermission
          no, better yet, have a merchant like in RE4!
          My Avatars!
          Quake Leagues
          Quake 1.5!!!
          Definitive HD Quake

Comment

HELLO STRANGEAAA. lol

Maybe something like skiddish miserly critters that you can bribe with gems and gold, and they run off they leaving behind useful objects.

Comment

Originally posted by Amon26 View Post
              HELLO STRANGEAAA. lol

Maybe something like skiddish miserly critters that you can bribe with gems and gold, and they run off they leaving behind useful objects.
              sounds like a good idea!
              My Avatars!
              Quake Leagues
              Quake 1.5!!!
              Definitive HD Quake

Comment

considering my modeling skills are relegated to Google Sketchup and my bread and butter is Pixel Art I'd be willing to lend my hand at doing models/textures for a mod like this. I'd love to see all the assets look like something that could have belonged to quake from the start. Low-poly, simple. I can work with that too.

Comment

Originally posted by Amon26 View Post
                  HELLO STRANGEAAA. lol

sound strange but a semi-zombie merchant is present in blood mage
                  the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Sounds very interesting to me.

Comment

a quake rpg maybe needs all the mp1 and mp2 weapons and
                      all the mp2 and mp1 monster (and a few new from chapters maybee) plus the quake content . a nice menu for merchant can be done in csqc and the stats (from player) can be carried in frik file, also the maps info can be carried to frik_file. SO i think a rpg in quake can be done for fte or darkplaces. Very big and open maps can be achieved in q3bsp format. Maybe we can do a quake with light rpg elements for darkplaces, and the code section will not be so hard.
                      the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Working...
                      X