Wow... This exists?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow... This exists?

Not sure if this has already been spotlighted, but I think it looks great. I haven't tried it, as I don't own a copy of Doom3 (yet! I will fix that soon!).

This is Quake1 inspired mod using the Doom3 engine, it's called "Quake: Shambler's Castle" The weapons are the same, the monsters look AMAZING and the map "resonates." Has anyone tried this mod? If so what did you think? It's giving me all kinds of ideas!

Here is a video preview:
    http://youtu.be/_SInxOqGe0Y

Here you can download it:
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/servi...you?id=7381107
    Last edited by QuakeRoot; 12-16-2012, 06:27 PM.

yeah, i made a post about that not too long ago here.

it is indeed my favorite mod for doom 3. I hope these guys will one day make a full mod out of this.
    My Avatars!
    Quake Leagues
    Quake 1.5!!!
    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Thanks Sylux, sorry - I don't mean to post things that already have attention, just thought it looked great.

What it makes me want to do is build the original Quake1 maps in slightly different dimensions (to avoid legal issues),

fix the nailgun sounds,
      FIX the Shamblers, so they really are Shamblers (and not giant... knight... things),
      make the Fiends jump more,
      change enviroment colors/lighting, (more Quake, less Doom3)
      zombies killable only by "grenades/rockets"

& then release a downloadable stand-alone: Quake1. I'm not sure if the mod creator released their info to GPL though, I'm still digging on that one.
      Last edited by QuakeRoot; 12-12-2012, 07:37 AM.

Comment

yeah, this mod had a large amount of potental, i think. It just needs to be deveoped a bit more.
        My Avatars!
        Quake Leagues
        Quake 1.5!!!
        Definitive HD Quake

Comment

You can't simply slightly rescale the original maps, re-paint the original textures and re-model the original monsters, then release it and still be legal.

It doesn't matter if someone releases their from-scratch copy of a Quake monster under the GPL. If it's a copy, then it might very well still be copyright infringement, and you might still be C&D'd (depending on how good your copied game is, and hence how much of a threat to the copyright holder). Especially if id is silently working on their own quake remake.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by QuakeRoot View Post
            Thanks Sylux, sorry - I don't mean to post things that already have attention, just thought it looked great.

What it makes me want to do is build the original Quake1 maps in slightly different dimensions (to avoid legal issues),

fix the nailgun sounds,
            FIX the Shamblers, so they really are Shamblers (and not giant... knight... things),
            make the Fiends jump more,
            change enviroment colors/lighting, (more Quake, less Doom3)
            zombies killable only by "grenades/rockets"

& then release a downloadable stand-alone: Quake1. I'm not sure if the mod creator released their info to GPL though, I'm still digging on that one.
            Another Quaker and myself have been annoyed by a lack of "YO,DOWNLOAD THIS & PLAY" style version of "Freely availible / Full version" quake.

The reality of the situation is, until we have someone (very close to Golden Boys next-level knowledge) who can determine whats okay to use and not okay to use...

Like , are remade textures considered "new entities"....(based off originals,but NOT CREATED BY ID)

How can iD Software 'have shit to say' when what THEY created back in '96 is a super-low-quality Textures / Models / ETC. Once someone re-creates a replacement set of textures, does this entitle iD software to be like "OH THATS OURS BTW" ??????????????????????

I'm gonna start a post shortly about this stuff elsewhere on Quakeone.com , but for now, I need to find my "Yoda" who understands the force etc. <- Sylux's signature, Pun intended HEE HEE

(added afterwards to cleanup my shitty 3 deep re
            wait, let me clarify with a 3rd post ....

Offering a "free full blown alternative to QUAKE1" , by that we mean strictly multiplayer.

Forget monsters, and ogre grunts,and all that riff raff. Strictly Multiplayer <----

It's nearly 2013 and if they are working on something, I think they should really be a bit more open about it.IMO , Quake1 is the bastard child they abandoned anyway,cuz honestly. Zero Quake games have even remotely been close to Q1, and I too am fed up with 'status quo'.
            Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 12-12-2012, 10:04 AM.
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

a derivative work is a derivative work, and copyright iD.
              Its hard to make something which is not derivative.
              (engine and .maps are okay, as they're explicitly released gpl and thus under a permissive-enough license that iD can't stop you).
              An individual texture or model remake is fine, but an entire set to 'clone' the art style of the origional is still a derivative work. Same reason you can't go and make some game or film with Gordon Freeman in it without paying valve some royalties.
              Its either completely your own style, artwork, content, storyline, theme, or its a derivative work and copyright someone else.
              You can probably get away with it, but that's something your lawyer will have to argue for you when you get the potential cease-and-decist.
              Some Game Thing

Comment

Originally posted by Spike View Post
                a derivative work is a derivative work, and copyright iD.
                Its hard to make something which is not derivative.
                (engine and .maps are okay, as they're explicitly released gpl and thus under a permissive-enough license that iD can't stop you).
                An individual texture or model remake is fine, but an entire set to 'clone' the art style of the origional is still a derivative work. Same reason you can't go and make some game or film with Gordon Freeman in it without paying valve some royalties.
                Its either completely your own style, artwork, content, storyline, theme, or its a derivative work and copyright someone else.
                You can probably get away with it, but that's something your lawyer will have to argue for you when you get the potential cease-and-decist.
                So, in theory only.... If a person was to replace all the assets with GPL assets (as in,no more "Quake Guy" , he would have to be an obvious different character)

Sound/Texture/Model Replacements that have zero similarities to the original Quake1 would be required? Is this all?

I know for a fact, that the MAPS (the most import part of multiplayer Quake that works out of the box with already established servers,like shmack,bigfoot,rage,ETC)

... and now im off to make a post that entices a head-on collision .....
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                  You can't simply slightly rescale the original maps, re-paint the original textures and re-model the original monsters, then release it and still be legal.

It doesn't matter if someone releases their from-scratch copy of a Quake monster under the GPL. If it's a copy, then it might very well still be copyright infringement, and you might still be C&D'd (depending on how good your copied game is, and hence how much of a threat to the copyright holder). Especially if id is silently working on their own quake remake.
                  Yea... the original maps/textures/monster models were not going to be used. That wasn't the intention. However, even if they were this is for fans. Making no money, and really taking no money from ID either. It could be argued from a legal perspective, sure... that would shut me down.

I feel so bad...
                  I doubt that would happen though. Companies like to see their fans make something, it's part of what makes them come out with other products. Free testing.

Comment

Yea... the original maps/textures/monster models were not going to be used. That wasn't the intention. However, even if they were this is for fans. Making no money, and really taking no money from ID either. It could be argued from a legal perspective, sure... that would shut me down.

I feel so bad...
                    I doubt that would happen though. Companies like to see their fans make something, it's part of what makes them come out with other products. Free testing.
                    Recieving Id Software's blessings is something I am adamant about,Then again its no longer a "pure ID software" ordeal anymore....

Bethesda's parent company ZeniMax is now the "HMFIC" ,so that complicates it even further.

Comment

Additionally...
                      If we want to be this paranoid why is so much of this site dedicated to things like "In The Shadows," Tea Monsters new "Ogre," "Quake Reforged," "Remake Quake."

Why didn't the makers of the "Shambler's Castle" mod get no retaliations from ID? Ripped of weapon models, character models from Q1, textures and models from D3.

Yes. I'm going to piss my pants with fear...
                      Granted none of these projects wrap up an entire distro of Quake. The moment ID says 'stop' is the moment I stop.

Look at all the Private "World Of Warcraft," "Ultima Online," MMORPG servers out there? You know why no one goes after them? Because it's a HUGE amount of work to get those "Private Servers" working right. The emulators don's translate everything over, 3/4 of the quests are broken, you get database errors all over the place and in the end... it bring the companies more revenue and talent.

That private server admin learns, gets a job, working for the man. The users get fed up with their admin getting a better life and pay for W.O.W like normal nerds.

ID might have some douches at their company, but in the end - I believe their programmers like me (or that is I'm becoming a programmer like them - at my pace). I'm not out to rip them off - If anything I have praise for them.

Comment

Additionally...
                        If we want to be this paranoid why is so much of this site dedicated to things like "In The Shadows," Tea Monsters new "Ogre," "Quake Reforged," "Remake Quake."

Why didn't the makers of the "Shambler's Castle" mod get no retaliations from ID? Ripped of weapon models, character models from Q1, textures and models from D3.

Yes. I'm going to piss my pants with fear...
                        Granted none of these projects wrap up an entire distro of Quake. The moment ID says 'stop' is the moment I stop.

Look at all the Private "World Of Warcraft," "Ultima Online," MMORPG servers out there? You know why no one goes after them? Because it's a HUGE amount of work to get those "Private Servers" working right. The emulators don's translate everything over, 3/4 of the quests are broken, you get database errors all over the place and in the end... it bring the companies more revenue and talent.

That private server admin learns, gets a job, working for the man. The users get fed up with their admin getting a better life and pay for W.O.W like normal nerds.

ID might have some douches at their company, but in the end - I believe their programmers like me (or that is I'm becoming a programmer like them - at my pace). I'm not out to rip them off - If anything I have praise for them.
                        About making a 100% faithful Quake1 mod for Doom3 mod,that would bring E1M8 through END + DM1 through DM6, I don't see where there would be a big issue. I mean,essentially its not like you're porting quake1 to UNREAL engine or something...... you would be very much staying "in house" / "all under the same Id Software tent" , so if going by logic alone,its like Chevy getting mad because you stuffed a corvette engine into a CHEVETTE (looooool ima google that)

All the custom monsters/skins are fully operating within the realm of the original Q1. Even if its DarkPlaces engine with 100% reworked content, its still utilizing assets originally intended for (and continued to be used in) the original.

I think thats the key difference between what has been going on as of late,when compared to say,and 100% faithful reproduction,they aren't giving you the essential pak0 and pak1 pak files which is the dilemma if I am understanding everything correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                          About making a 100% faithful Quake1 mod for Doom3 mod,that would bring E1M8 through END + DM1 through DM6, I don't see where there would be a big issue.

I think thats the key difference between what has been going on as of late,when compared to say,and 100% faithful reproduction,they aren't giving you the essential pak0 and pak1 pak files which is the dilemma if I am understanding everything correctly.
                          My plan was single-play maps and multiplay maps (with full multiplayer functionality). I can make textures, I'm not going to be importing the original maps and changing them. I'm making new ones that look a lot alike, with more environment, more spacious (Using the Doom3 engine).

As for models & skins - those are all over the place, released to GPL - even non derivative.

Comment

Originally posted by Planetnine
                            I agree with you that it is a lot of work to build those servers. However, i promise you that many of them actually operate quite well and have almost every working feature that the real games have.

Since 2000 i have played on many UO/EQ/WOW free servers and there are some stinkers here and there but i have found ones that are worth it.
                            From all indications, from what I see they don't last long. Maybe a year or two, then the admin(s) just don't have time to dedicate to fix every update for every expansion, and every broken quest... They usually move on and close the server.

Or they just stick with ONE version and people lose interest in it.

Comment

From all indications, from what I see they don't last long. Maybe a year or two, then the admin(s) just don't have time to dedicate to fix every update for every expansion, and every broken quest... They usually move on and close the server.

Or they just stick with ONE version and people lose interest in it.
                              Truth be told,if it isn't Quake1 its really easy to lose interest in a game......... lol.

A game needs to be beyond awesome (Borderlands 2 comes to mind as the only NonQ1 example) to have staying power and plenty of replay value.

Comment

Working...
                              X