Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

QuakeBlast, the new review site for Quake maps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QuakeBlast, the new review site for Quake maps!

EDIT: Ok everybody, a lot has changed in regards to this site.

Because of my real life worries and the fact that my time and effort has been streched thin over large amounts of games (I mod for lots of games other then just Quake) I have decided to make some radical changes to the site.

Instead of only being about Quake or user made content for that game, this site is now about all video games in general (though there is still a special focus on certain games such as Doom and Quake, as well as user made content).

The reason for this is that this will make it MUCH more manageable to actively update the site with new content.

The original goal was to make at least 1 update a month as a minimum, but I wasn't able to do even that as a result of both real life and the fact that I had been busy with so many other games. By making the site about ALL games and modding for them in general, I should have no further problems in this regard however.

In addition, I have upgraded the site to a paid model to make it more like a real website. Though it should be noted that the "webs" part of the name might not actually go away until 24-48 hours have passed. In any case, this is now a real website!

Hopefully, the future of the site is much brighter now.

Also, this of course means that I now accept other peoples Doom mods/wads on my site in addition to the Quake mods

QuakeBlast

(note that in the next 48 hours the site name will simply be www.quakeblast.com)
    Last edited by hardcore_gamer; 05-29-2013, 02:00 PM.

Where have you been all of Quakes life? Welcome to the community hardcore_gamer !
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

nice to see a new quake site go up!
      My Avatars!
      Quake Leagues
      Quake 1.5!!!
      Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Thanks you guys!

I have been working on the site since this morning and its now mostly done. There will probably be a few tweaks and minor changes here and there though. I am not ready to accept peoples maps/mods for review if anyone has any

I also intend to download maps/mods that already exist and review those whenever I don't have brand new maps/mods to review for the sake of having something to review.

I also included a link to this webpage at the "SITES TO CHECK OUT!" page.

Comment

I added a whole new page to the site that explains in detail how my review system works.

EDIT: I just posted my first review on the site! Perhaps I will post some more reviews later this weekend
          Last edited by hardcore_gamer; 03-16-2013, 08:17 AM.

Comment

Hello hardcore_gamer,

Your idea is of course great and it is always good to see new Quake fans supporting this game.

I am a bit suprised that you use a different name over at func_Msgboard.
            And I am even more suprised that you do not seem to know too much about Quake engines, which is essential to do, when seriously testing newer maps which are made for engines with specific cvar/command settings.
            What on earth is the "Epsilon Engine" ??
            You most probably mean this compilation of replacement content, scraped together for the Darkplaces engine. Even including a QC-mod that changes the game mechanic !
            You do NOT want to play and test new maps with this compilation, do you ?
            If so, then this is not the intention of the maps creators. You can be more than sure about that. Mention this topic at func_Msgboard and you will see.

Other than that, good luck and have fun with Quake.
            Seven

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
              Hello hardcore_gamer,

Your idea is of course great and it is always good to see new Quake fans supporting this game.

I am a bit suprised that you use a different name over at func_Msgboard.
              And I am even more suprised that you do not seem to know too much about Quake engines, which is essential to do, when seriously testing newer maps which are made for engines with specific cvar/command settings.
              You most probably mean this compilation of replacement content, scraped together for the Darkplaces engine. Even including a QC-mod that changes the game mechanic !
              You do NOT want to play and test new maps with this compilation, do you ?
              If so, then this is not the intention of the maps creators. You can be more than sure about that. Mention this topic at func_Msgboard and you will see.

Other than that, good luck and have fun with Quake.
              Seven
              When I said the epsilon engine I meant the Darkplaces engine. My bad. The site's FAQ has been updated by the way to reflect this (it no longer mentions epsilon.)

That said. In your opinion, what engine is the best to review Quake maps with then?

Comment

Originally posted by hardcore_gamer View Post
                That said. In your opinion, what engine is the best to review Quake maps with then?
                When you read carefully through your thread over at func_Msgboard, you will find the answer given from the mappers themself.
                These are the people you should trust.
                FitzQuake (or a FitzQuake fork) such as QuakeSpasm, or Mark V just to name the most important. Be sure to read the mappers readme that come with the map. It will tell you in most cases which engine the map was designed for.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                  When you read carefully through your thread over at func_Msgboard, you will find the answer given from the mappers themself.
                  These are the people you should trust.
                  FitzQuake (or a FitzQuake fork) such as QuakeSpasm, or Mark V just to name the most important. Be sure to read the mappers readme that come with the map. It will tell you in most cases which engine the map was designed for.
                  If the mapper makes no mention of his map having been made for any certain port though, then doesn't that mean you are free to just use whatever engine you want?

I mean when playing maps/mods for Doom or Doom 2 I almost always use Zdoom or some Zdoom variant, and so long as the maps/mods weren't made for some other non-vanilla engine it never makes any real difference.

I get it why I need to make sure that I use the correct engine when playing maps where the maps actually require a certain engine, but what is wrong with using Darkplaces when no special engine is needed?

Comment

i read your fist review, and i enjoyed it very much.
                    My Avatars!
                    Quake Leagues
                    Quake 1.5!!!
                    Definitive HD Quake

Comment

Originally posted by syluxman2803 View Post
                      i read your fist review, and i enjoyed it very much.
                      That is nice to hear

Comment

{snicker} I thought the same thing!

I was just gonna let it roll though - maybe he would have started making up more stuff and we could have all had some (maybe) big laughs.

Now, I can't look forward to him telling us he played a new Queef mod in DampPlaces - thanks seven
                        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

If the mapper makes no mention of his map having been made for any certain port though, then doesn't that mean you are free to just use whatever engine you want?
                          Of course.

Darkplaces can also be made to look practically identical to vanilla Quake. You should just turn off realtime world lighting (and perhaps replacement content) because with it on, you won't see how the map actually looks on its own. For example mappers go to great lengths to light their map, with static lightmaps I mean, and rt lights will just make that look wrong. Like putting too much extra salt in your food.

Tbh maps have to be made with rtlights and hi res textures in mind to look as intended in DP with full effects. If you can't ascertain that the mapper did create their map with that stuff in mind, then I woudn't use it for reviews.

what is wrong with using Darkplaces when no special engine is needed?
                          Nothing. Some maps use entity hacks and/or rely on certain engine behaviour and not actually say so, though. Also, for the purpose of reviews, you should judge the map with its originally intended lighting etc. intact.

For just playing, there's nothing wrong with DP and hires stuff even if some people will shout at you just because they are ultra-conservative. Ignore them. But for reviews, review the map as it was originally made.
                          Scout's Journey
                          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                            Of course.

Darkplaces can also be made to look practically identical to vanilla Quake. You should just turn off realtime world lighting (and perhaps replacement content) because with it on, you won't see how the map actually looks on its own. For example mappers go to great lengths to light their map, with static lightmaps I mean, and rt lights will just make that look wrong. Like putting too much extra salt in your food.

Tbh maps have to be made with rtlights and hi res textures in mind to look as intended in DP with full effects. If you can't ascertain that the mapper did create their map with that stuff in mind, then I woudn't use it for reviews.

Nothing. Some maps use entity hacks and/or rely on certain engine behaviour and not actually say so, though. Also, for the purpose of reviews, you should judge the map with its originally intended lighting etc. intact.

For just playing, there's nothing wrong with DP and hires stuff even if some people will shout at you just because they are ultra-conservative. Ignore them. But for reviews, review the map as it was originally made.
                            Thanks for your advice. I will take it seriously

Anyways, I just published a fresh new review. I took peoples advice and included 2 screenshots rather then just 1. Also, there is a short gameplay video included as well.

Monastery by Neil Manke

Comment

what is wrong with using Darkplaces when no special engine is needed?
                              Originally posted by golden_boy View Post

Hello,

IŽd like to add some words regarding the usage of Darkplaces.
                              Darkplaces uses internal hacks. These cvars start with "sv_gameplayfix_".
                              There are a lot of them (around 20). But still, Darkplaces fails to play some maps.
                              Most important to mention are various "key falls through floor" issues even in original ID1 maps. Or jump and grenade bounce physics which are different to the original Quake engines.

That is in my opinion one of the main reasons to at least be careful when using Darkplaces for testing fan-made maps.
                              You may encounter these issues and believe that it is the mapper himself fault for some bugs. Bugs which may not be there with Quakespasm.

So please (at least consider) using the engine of mappers choice for playtesting. And these are Fitzquake derivates.
                              There was a time when Spirit (you surely know him) even boycotted the DP engine due to these reasons. Fortunately he is a little bit more liberal now

Sorry to bump your thread again, but maybe these words make it a little bit easier/clearer for you to understand what is going on.

Best regards,
                              Seven

Comment

Working...
                              X